Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,846 of 3,438
tats a bargain 
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,850 of 3,438
I try to remove the pads of my D5000 ( press firmly the palm of my hand to the pad and turn counterclockwise , but, but no way , impossible . I wonder if that is the same way to do with the  TH600 ? Do you have a trick to make it easier ?

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,852 of 3,438
  I try to remove the pads of my D5000 ( press firmly the palm of my hand to the pad and turn counterclockwise , but, but no way , impossible . I wonder if that is the same way to do with the  TH600 ? Do you have a trick to make it easier ?

And if the video doesn't solve it 100%, try gently pulling the pad away from the edge of the ring in a spot.  You'll eventually see the white ring show itself, then you can either remove the pad by gently pulling it out/away all the way around or grab the white ring with a duck bill plier and turn counterclockwise.  First time you ever remove them it's a sphincter-clincher, then it gets more relaxed if not easier. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,853 of 3,438

What worked on D5000 (press and twist) did not on TH600, the fit of plastic ring is much tighter, I had to use pliers.
Here is a good step by step instruction
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/2790#post_9006193

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,855 of 3,438
Very niceposts in this thread!

I was wondering now that i can see the price of th600 at 700usd if it worth comparing with alpha dogs (as it happens in other threads) for just 100usd difference?

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,856 of 3,438

I was wondering now that i can see the price of th600 at 700usd if it worth comparing with alpha dogs (as it happens in other threads) for just 100usd difference?

the th600 is a fairly good value at $700. you can't really compare the two though cause their sigs are much different. the th600 is U shaped with powerful bass, while the alpha dogs from what ive read are fairly neutral. ive only tried the mad dogs so can't say how the alphas are in comparison.

its really up to your taste. both headphones should be fairly comfortable, dan at mrspeakers gives great customer service.

th600 is gonna sound more exciting/dynamic/potentially fatiguing while the alpha dogs are gonna be closer to reference/smooth/potentially boring.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #1,858 of 3,438

I'll do a bit of a comparison for you.

bass/

the th600 has a more elevated bass response compared to the alpha dog this is especioally noticeable in the sub bass which you can feel tickling your ears whereas I do not get such a sensation with the alphas. the sub bass is noticeably forceful, the alpha is not bad per say but not bass head level. the mid bass of the th600 seems slightly elevated as well, more than the alpha dog. the th600 bass is well controlled though even though it is elevated. the alpha dogs bass is very clean and is never bloated or overpowered to me, bass guitar is well in line with guitar and not muddy.

mids/
the alpha dog have a very detailed and complete mid range, however in comparison to the he500, lcd2 the mid range seems a bit thinner and slightly emphasized in the upper midrange. there is more detail in the mid range than on the th600. the th600 mid range is referred a bit and much thinner than planars. the kids seem a bit dryer/less smooth than the planars.

/treble
the alphas are a bit north of what I consider neutral, can sound slightly splashy on bad recordings or the wrong recordings. overall though I find them both detailed and mostly smooth. gorgeous treble. the th600 can be glass like at times and I consider the treble brittle at lower treble frequencies. most recordings seem OK but it is a problem at times.

soundstage and imaging/
I find these two caterrgories to be strengths of the th600. I feel that the th600 has a more sizeable soundstage with very 3d placement. I find them better than the he500 and lcd2 in this regard. the alpha dog soundstage is still very good for a closed can and is well as head of the m100, Phillips l1, momentum etc. imaging/placement is above the hd600 on my setup.

anywhoo I've run out of time tho post on my phone. excuse any mistakes/capitals.

as always YMMV, IMO ext

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,859 of 3,438
Have you heard both? How about side by side? I don't get why they can't really be compared... I disagree conpletely.

kinda confused if you read my post. i said ive had the mad dogs not the alpha dogs, but gave what input i could based on what ive read. i interpreted his question as, "these are both similarly priced, is the th600 worth it over the alpha dogs." which i responded as they are fairly different signatures and explained how they were different. if he likes a neutral presentation the alpha dogs would be better suited, for bass th600.

obviously you can compare anything but no one person can truly tell him what is better, its always best if a demo is possible.

for headphones i dont think there's a "best" for a specific price range, just a preferred signature. there are headphones that out perform their price range and others that are over priced but at the end of the day, you're gonna like the headphones which signature best suit you and your music.

if my attempt to help was useless then my apologies, it was an opinion like everyone else has.

(during this post i say he, but varoudis could be a she also, sorry!)

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,860 of 3,438
^ I know what you were saying, I think your opinion is as valid as any. Varoudis, I think Eternal gave a nice breakdown between the two. Another consideration might be what your source will be (the AD needs more juice) and how much isolation you need (the AD isolates better). I also found the AD more comfortable due to the suspension design and the deep lush pads, but I didn't get to test it for a long period of time. I own and love the 600, but have also heard and really enjoy the AD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back