Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,683 of 3,438
Uhh th-600's are hardwired so unless he/she has not sent in their headphones to moon yet they have been voodooed and not much can be done about it. Ron82nd you did re-cable a dynamic so I think your chances of getting a small s.q. return is likely but I hand over fist recommend angle pads as a first upgrade.

Not to sound snobbish but $400 isn't anything to brood about if you are not impressed with the cable's sound performance. It's allot of money don't get me wrong but I was out more than that just trying out high-end rigs recently in my home. Didn't get anything but some good testing time in my house. I think if your in this game long enough your bound to get voodooed at least once or twice.

Greed also cut open the cable and said it was weak on the inside and I'm not a fan of the two bit Y splitter so you might have ended up with a deal.

I just ordered these so they have yet to be delivered. I made a mistake on the order forum with connections so I am waiting for it to be canceled by drew so I can reorder. Maybe I will hold off on the cable although I feel it has got to be better than stock cable and invest an a better amp. I am looking at a couple like the ifi ican, iqube, and the fostex hpp1. Out of those which would be a better route?

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,684 of 3,438
I just ordered these so they have yet to be delivered. I made a mistake on the order forum with connections so I am waiting for it to be canceled by drew so I can reorder. Maybe I will hold off on the cable although I feel it has got to be better than stock cable and invest an a better amp. I am looking at a couple like the ifi ican, iqube, and the fostex hpp1. Out of those which would be a better route?

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,685 of 3,438
I'm sure the moon cable is better but if youe looking for sound improvements first I highly recommend putting your money into an amp and dac first and angle pads second, then maybe a cable. D.I.Y. C2K3 worked very well, commercially lehmann Rhinelander, meier corda rock, and matrix m-stage worked well for me too.

I will be using these for gaming and currently will use the astro mix amp pro as the dac for Dolby effect. I am looking at the wa7 but for 1k, man that's hard to swallow. I would love to spend 600 max but if I must.

I was also looking at ifi ican for the bass feature mainly. Please recommend best opinions within a thousand thanks but will really consider the wa7.

So I think I know the answer but it sounds like instead of adding costs from cables that is just shy of 1400 instead maybe jump to the th900? I mean if there is a huge bass gain in quantity and quality it's kinda of a no brainier in my mind with the bass being the main reason I was attracted to these cans. Funny how the other night I had wife set at 1200 now more like 2500.:D

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,686 of 3,438
  I'm sure the moon cable is better but if youe looking for sound improvements first I highly recommend putting your money into an amp and dac first and angle pads second, then maybe a cable. D.I.Y. C2K3 worked very well, commercially lehmann Rhinelander, meier corda rock, and matrix m-stage worked well for me too.

What "angle pads" we are talking here, Lawton pads? I used to own a set on D5K to *add* some treble and soundstage, I think TH600 is already bright as it is, what exactly sonic wise angle pads improve?

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,688 of 3,438
I will be using these for gaming and currently will use the astro mix amp pro as the dac for Dolby effect. I am looking at the wa7 but for 1k, man that's hard to swallow. I would love to spend 600 max but if I must.

I was also looking at ifi ican for the bass feature mainly. Please recommend best opinions within a thousand thanks but will really consider the wa7.

So I think I know the answer but it sounds like instead of adding costs from cables that is just shy of 1400 instead maybe jump to the th900? I mean if there is a huge bass gain in quantity and quality it's kinda of a no brainier in my mind with the bass being the main reason I was attracted to these cans. Funny how the other night I had wife set at 1200 now more like 2500.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #1,689 of 3,438
I would just get the 600's stock and spend some time (100 hrs) with them. You may not have a desire for an amp or dac as they are fairly easy to drive. I have not heard the 900's but there's been quite a few people saying that they preferred the 600's over the 900's. Me personally I have a hard time spending $300ish on a lacquer job that is not going to do anything sound wise. The 900's are 1.5 tesla vs.th600's 1 tesla so I will admit they do have that going for them.

Yeah that's the thing they are gorgeous no doubt but is it really worth it I don't know honestly. I just would hate to have the what if hanging over my head. I mean I have been reading all day long and still can't decide. Either way it looks like it will be ran off hopefully a woo amp.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #1,690 of 3,438
@ron82nd
It depends on the other components in your chain (amp, dac) and how much you're willing to spend on them. In my experience, the range of amps that clearly illustrate the TH900's strenghts over the TH600 (and any other headphone I've owned) are few, and most of these are (sadly) quite expensive.

Lets say you have $2000 to burn. I'd suggest getting a TH600 (market price around $799 right now) and spending the rest on source and amplification.
A $800 TH600 + $1200 Amp/DAC will definitely be a more satisfying experience compared to a $1500 TH900 + $500 Amp/DAC combination. Obviously money doesn't always equal results, so a $500 amp that does the TH900 justice could well exist, but I've not discovered any yet.

As far as looks go, I actually prefer the TH600. The TH900 is definitely more beautiful, no doubt. Probably the most beautiful headphone out there. But the TH600 is more my style. I'm a nondescript IBM Thinkpad type of person.

For the record, I have both the TH600 and TH900. Flagship I use at home, the other at the office

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,691 of 3,438
@ron82nd
It depends on the other components in your chain (amp, dac) and how much you're willing to spend on them. In my experience, the range of amps that clearly illustrate the TH900's strenghts over the TH600 (and any other headphone I've owned) are few, and most of these are (sadly) quite expensive.

Lets say you have $2000 to burn. I'd suggest getting a TH600 (market price around $799 right now) and spending the rest on source and amplification.
A $800 TH600 + $1200 Amp/DAC will definitely be a more satisfying experience compared to a $1500 TH900 + $500 Amp/DAC combination. Obviously money doesn't always equal results, so a $500 amp that does the TH900 justice could well exist, but I've not discovered any yet.

As far as looks go, I actually prefer the TH600. The TH900 is definitely more beautiful, no doubt. Probably the most beautiful headphone out there. But the TH600 is more my kind of look. I'm a nondescript IBM Thinkpad type of person.

For the record, I have both the TH600 and TH900. Flagship I use at home, the other at the office

Well currently I could do 1k for amp and dac but can upgrade over time and that does not change even with the savings from the 600. Wife has some say as to where to allocate for now I like her to believe:xf_eek:.

How much better is the bass on the 900 in your opinion? And this will only be for home use.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,692 of 3,438
How much better is the bass on the 900 in your opinion?

That's actually a hard one.

To my ears, the TH600 is slightly less U-shaped in tonality, which can be a good or not-so-good thing, depending on how Swiss you are. The TH600 is also less spacious, even in the bass region. There's a sense of the bass travelling further both away and towards you with the TH900.

The TH900 has stronger, more luxurious bass impact and seems to hit lower, though the TH600 seems to produce more sub-bass rumble. I put this down to the spaciousness I mentioned in the previous paragraph. I think the TH600's soundstage feels a tad smaller, hence the reverbs and decays are conveyed in a slightly more aggressive fashion.

I think your preference is swayed greatly by the type of music you listen to, to a large extent. Some users who listen to a lot of metal seem to prefer the TH600's presentation, for instance. I mainly listen to fusion/acid jazz, post-rock and beat-heavy music (house, techno, instrumental hip-hop) and prefer the TH900. Both headphones still do well for most types of music in a general sense - especially compared to some other summit-fi headphones, which can lack something significant for a certain genre - but the differences are still there if you listen enough.

Lastly, I've noticed that many owners of the TH600 seem to prefer it even after trying the TH900. It also works the same in reverse. Despite their same bloodline, there seem to be some key qualities to their respective presentations which sort of put strangleholds on their owners. People who've had the TH600 first seem to think the TH900 is a bit too wet, too polite, too snobbish, while people who owned TH900 first seem to think the TH600 is a bit too dry, too aggressive, too vulgar. Notice I bolded the word "bit" in the last sentence, because that is key. The differences are minute, but enough to sway you one way or the other.

As for me - I've already stated that I prefer the TH900, but lets say I discovered the TH600 first and didn't even experience the TH900, I think I'd still be quite happy. At the end of the day, it's still about the music. The money saved from getting a TH600 could be put towards a significant amount of new music purchases.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #1,693 of 3,438
I mainly listen to Trance, House, Big Beat, Chillstep, Dubstep and pop genres on the TH900's of mine. I appreciate the slightly more open sound of the TH900 over the 600's. It was a no brainer to buy the TH900 for that extra 15% clarity, openness, smoother treble and slightly more impacting bass as price was no consequence for me.

The TH600 is a good deal of money saving to get you most of the way there, with that extra you could easily get a higher amp/dac, more CD's/Vinyls, or even a complimentary can like the HE-500.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,694 of 3,438

What "angle pads" we are talking here, Lawton pads? I used to own a set on D5K to *add* some treble and soundstage, I think TH600 is already bright as it is, what exactly sonic wise angle pads improve?

More comfort than sound. I should have been more specific. my bad
redface.gif
  Still I would go for pad comfy-ness over a re-cable. I would say the treble got slightly hotter with the pads but that goes away with break in.

So we are talking Lawton pads here, right?
Still wondering if anyone tried to pack fiberloft into TH600 cups, stock TH900 come with stuffed cups.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,695 of 3,438
Well currently I could do 1k for amp and dac but can upgrade over time and that does not change even with the savings from the 600. Wife has some say as to where to allocate for now I like her to believe:xf_eek:.

How much better is the bass on the 900 in your opinion? And this will only be for home use.

Dude, do not spend $1,500 on TH900 as gaming headphones. If you do 80% gaming and 20% music, save yourself a LOT of money and just get some decent mid tier open phones with good imagine and sound stage. And $1K on an amp/DAC for gaming might be overkill.

Just some friendly advice, take it for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back