Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #828 of 3,438
Finally got a chance to listen to the TH600's and still comparing them to my D5k's but it's pretty clear who the winner will be. The TH600's are flat out amazing. I never thought I would hear another headphone that could match the sub-level bass of the D5000's but the TH600's match and best them! Just a touch cleaner but it's pretty clear that the TH600's could very easily be someone's endgame pair. I don't know how the 900's are supposed to be $600 or more better and I have zero doubt that the th600's will be more than enough for most people. Great cans

Thanks,

:evil:

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #829 of 3,438
Quote:
If you have allot of disposable income.

Or if you don't and are obsessed with the TH900 sound 
tongue.gif

For me, there was no question. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #831 of 3,438
Of course the comparison to the bigger, shinier brother will always haunt the TH-600 -- while it is a simply amazing headphone in its own right.
I have my reasons for owning both, but would I have to decide with any kind of budget on mind it would be the TH-600 for sure.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #832 of 3,438
Of course the comparison to the bigger, shinier brother will always haunt the TH-600 -- while it is a simply amazing headphone in its own right.
I have my reasons for owning both, but would I have to decide with any kind of budget on mind it would be the TH-600 for sure.

So since you do own both, can you comment on the differences and what, if anything, is clearly better about the TH900?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #833 of 3,438
Today I just had time for a very short comparison, using titles I normally listen to (i.e. EDM and electronica). The TH-900 has more sparkle and a bit stronger bass, while the TH-600 is somewhat more neutral -- so far I can only second other reviews comparing the two brothers.
The TH-900 emphasizes the upper (male) voice a bit more than the TH-600 and therefore brings out a bit more upper mids / treble detail. The TH-600 on the other hand makes it easier for me to hear details in the lower bass as its a bit less forward. Both give room and let details stand on their own, however massive the bass may hit at the same time.

Overall I think the TH-900 shows off its amazing control more than the TH-600 which seems less tuned to impress while still preserving the good traits of the Fostex drivers.

Source: 256kBit AAC and Apple Lossless out of a Macbook Air, DAC: Meridian Explorer, Amp: Lake People G109P

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #834 of 3,438
Quote:
Today I just had time for a very short comparison, using titles I normally listen to (i.e. EDM and electronica). The TH-900 has more sparkle and a bit stronger bass, while the TH-600 is somewhat more neutral -- so far I can only second other reviews comparing the two brothers.
The TH-900 emphasizes the upper (male) voice a bit more than the TH-600 and therefore brings out a bit more upper mids / treble detail. The TH-600 on the other hand makes it easier for me to hear details in the lower bass as its a bit less forward. Both give room and let details stand on their own, however massive the bass may hit at the same time.

Overall I think the TH-900 shows off its amazing control more than the TH-600 which seems less tuned to impress while still preserving the good traits of the Fostex drivers.

Source: 256kBit AAC and Apple Lossless out of a Macbook Air, DAC: Meridian Explorer, Amp: Lake People G109P

3 Grand on 2 headphones, 300 dollar dac.
Not that price is the most important thing but c'mon sell one of those and get a decent dac.
Your weak spot should not be the source.

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #835 of 3,438
Quote:
Not that price is the most important thing but c'mon sell one of those and get a decent dac.

+1

makes a huge difference.

just got a Mytek 192 upgrading from a Digital Link III.

the DL3 was muddy with the th-900. made the bass overpowering and the mids quite recessed.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #836 of 3,438
Quote:

You might never guess whats on a UPS vehicle for delivery today... the matching DAC/amp by Fostex :wink:
But besides that I don't consider the Explorer weak. One might argue over the initially (too) high output impedance, but the lineout is fine.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #838 of 3,438
Probably catch some flac for this but I think the whole "source is the most important" argument is getting quite dated. Encoders are soo much better nowadays and while I'm using dj carts my 320kbps mp3's sound just as good as my real vinyl. I also can not tell any difference between lossless and 320kbps and have bought the same track from beatport in both formats. No difference running what I think is pretty highend headphone equipment. If this were 5 years ago I would say yeah a dac is important but now I think you will see more performance for your dollar out of an amp, ear pad swap, headband swap. Plus the ear pad and headband swap will also improve the comfort. Technology has come a long way from the days of napster and most of the labtops I have tried at least in the last 2 years have great (for the most part) sound cards already installed.

Also price is only part of the equation. Plenty of great and dud dac products in their respective price ranges.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. Source will always be the first and last word of my audio pleasure. In my opinion quality of music has gone down hill. Crap in, crap out. #1 rule, IMO.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #839 of 3,438
Yes great point Jib. You're such an insightful young man. It's 2013. All soundcards/DACs sound about the same. It's a simple task for our mighty computers converting 0 and 1s into a sine wave. A very simple task even a little calculator can do with ease. Let me not get started on amps, because they all sound the same as well. The best amp is probably in your PC right now. Nice clean gain of sound with THD so low you can't hear it.

As I was telling DefQon in the Stax thread, my Realtek sound card in my laptop blows away the Perfect Wave DAC MkIi and Lynx Hilo. The leading definition is so crisp and focused with unmatched transparency and of course detail extraction is off the charts. Precise analog/liquid sound that doesn't miss anything.  it's like I'm at the concert and not at home. People should be spending $1000+ on pad upgrades instead of DACs because they're wasting time and money. Fools!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back