Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jul 11, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #782 of 3,438
Quote:
(...) pricing may have affected Tyll's words when he said that he would take the D5000 over the TH-600.

That may be the case. He preferred the D5000 to the D7000 with that exact argument in his review of the latest revision of the Dx000 line:
"with close competition from the much less expensive D5000 (...)"

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #783 of 3,438
Much less expensive? When they were in production.
But they aren't. So what's the point in comparing them? Very hard to find. And as has been touched on, the fact that d5k and d7k aren't in production makes 2nd hand ones more expensive than what they used to retail for anyway.

Also IMO the Fostex's look way nicer than the old Denons (and x99999 nicer than the new Denons).
The old Denon wood cups looked tacky IMO. Plasticky. The TH900 cups look much nicer/classier (though still shiny, be much nicer if matte) but still can't see myself wearing them. Guess I'm just not a fan of timber in HPs. Unless they are designed nicely, like these: http://grainaudio.com/collections/grain-audio-products
If I knew they sounded decent I would've grabbed a pair of those OEHP on Kickstarter when they were on there but they might sound average.
Timber speakers on the other hand usually look much nicer but it all depends on the type of timber. Love that walnut they use on the Grain products

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #784 of 3,438
Ad Grain: Definitely a nice looking product... the design reminds me a lot of the AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio (which, of course, does not feature wood cups though).

Regarding used Denon Dx000: I have eBay seach jobs running for both the D5000 as well as the D7000. The latter does show up from time to time, usually going for around €700,- or even more.

While I quite like their design (apart from the fact that the mahagoni is not presented that well due to the high-gloss covering), I think the TH-600 is now overall the better choice (I did not hear the Denons though, just read a lot of comparisons): I consider the Fostex to be technically superior and I can buy one new (i.e. no need to hunt them down, no problems with warranty etc). Plus the black magnesium cups do look really good...

The Denons exhibit an interesting after-life so to say... they seem to be really interesting to a lot of people (and therefore are high-priced even used). Plus you might still get a pair a bit cheaper than the TH-600. Which is of course more boring due to its regular availability :wink:

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #785 of 3,438
Quote:

That may be the case. He preferred the D5000 to the D7000 with that exact argument in his review of the latest revision of the Dx000 line:
"with close competition from the much less expensive D5000 (...)"

I had not looked at it that way... it might be possible that's what he was thinking...

Quote:
Much less expensive? When they were in production.
But they aren't. So what's the point in comparing them? Very hard to find. And as has been touched on, the fact that d5k and d7k aren't in production makes 2nd hand ones more expensive than what they used to retail for anyway.

Also IMO the Fostex's look way nicer than the old Denons (and x99999 nicer than the new Denons).
The old Denon wood cups looked tacky IMO. Plasticky. The TH900 cups look much nicer/classier (though still shiny, be much nicer if matte) but still can't see myself wearing them. Guess I'm just not a fan of timber in HPs. Unless they are designed nicely, like these: http://grainaudio.com/collections/grain-audio-products
If I knew they sounded decent I would've grabbed a pair of those OEHP on Kickstarter when they were on there but they might sound average.
Timber speakers on the other hand usually look much nicer but it all depends on the type of timber. Love that walnut they use on the Grain products

Still waiting for my Grain Audio headphones... but I'm pretty sure it will sound NOWHERE near D5000/7000 Fostex TH600 level... If they do, I'll definitely let you know! LOL :wink:

Quote:
The Denons exhibit an interesting after-life so to say... they seem to be really interesting to a lot of people (and therefore are high-priced even used). Plus you might still get a pair a bit cheaper than the TH-600. Which is of course more boring due to its regular availability :wink:

To me, they are one of those headphones that can play almost any genre with no problems... basically, can provide a LOT of fun, and although not "laid-back", they can make "slower" genres sound excellent as well. Probably one of the reasons people like them... (they are comfortable to boot so...)

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #786 of 3,438
Quote:
To me, they are one of those headphones that can play almost any genre with no problems... basically, can provide a LOT of fun, and although not "laid-back", they can make "slower" genres sound excellent as well. Probably one of the reasons people like them... (they are comfortable to boot so...)

Thats my impression as well... I had friends try them out with quite different musical preferences (Metal/Rock and 70's Soul/Funk classics vs. my EDM love) -- all three of us found their signature very likable.

Ad Grain: Please let us know what you think about them when they arrive. I've found only one thread on them, so I guess that'll be the place.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #787 of 3,438
The AIAIAI TMA-1 is one of the ugliest, cheapiest feeling headphones I have ever held/seen. Comparing to the D7000's looks and finish...lol.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #788 of 3,438
Quote:
The AIAIAI TMA-1 is one of the ugliest, cheapiest feeling headphones I have ever held/seen. Comparing to the D7000's looks and finish...lol.

LOL!
Yeah, Grain Audio makes the attempt to be a bit different from AIAIAI by adding that bit of Wood on theirs but definitely nowhere as pretty as the D7000/TH900 or Lawton/Martin Audio wood cups...

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #789 of 3,438
I quite like the design of the TMA-1 (original as well as studio) for what it is. And it is definitely something completely different from a D7k or TH-900... especially the latter is more than just a nice design to my eyes.

The Grain Audio adds a nice touch to the AIAIAI aesthetics, but does not go in the direction of the TH-900... They only share the technicality of cups made of wood I'd say.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #790 of 3,438
Just unpacked it.

I do love the bass out of the box.

Can you tell me, what amp does this baby need to shine?

To jump on the TMA-1 discussion. The dark sound was nice, but they could not stand a chance against any ATH headphone at home.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #791 of 3,438
Quote:
Just unpacked it.

I do love the bass out of the box.

Can you tell me, what amp does this baby need to shine?

To jump on the TMA-1 discussion. The dark sound was nice, but they could not stand a chance against any ATH headphone at home.

What amp do you have?
I remember reading a couple of posts from different people that the TH600s with the Woo WA7 (Fireflies) combination was excellent... But since these are kind of sensitive, I guess any amp (with proper output) would do?

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #792 of 3,438
Quote:

What amp do you have?
I remember reading a couple of posts from different people that the TH600s with the Woo WA7 (Fireflies) combination was excellent... But since these are kind of sensitive, I guess any amp (with proper output) would do?

At the moment it is an Aune T1. It does sound great with almost any other headphone, but I kind o feel that there is more potential to the TH600, where maybe another amp can help.

Though I must say that the pricepoint of the WA7 is steep.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #795 of 3,438
Hi I just unboxed my TH600's and gave them a listen. They aren't broken in yet but the bass is more understated than I expected. Also, the mids/highs are more spectacular than I expected. I'm hoping some break-in will tilt the frequency response downhill a bit. What kind of break-in time should I expect before I hear the tilt (if it happens at all).

The TH600's will be replacing my AHD2000's at work, which I use about 6 hours a day. I was thinking TH900 but they're just too fancy for the office. I'm hoping the TH600's will sound good out of my HiFiMan HM-801, it sure can make the AHD2000's sing. Someday I would like to upgrade to a DAC-1 but for now the 801 will have to do.

Funny story, I mentioned to one of my co-workers I didn't need my AHD2000's and he could have it for 100 bucks (it's in perfect condition). It almost started a fight, he thought I was trying to rip him off because "nobody pays that kind of money for headphones." Could be because everyone is hostile in Miami. I declined to tell him how much I paid for my Audeze LCD3's and FitEar 334's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back