Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Dec 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,636 of 3,438
  OK how many have actually listened to both the TH600 and TH900 for an extended period...I mean had both headphones on hand and A/B'd? I have both right now and I think I may actually prefer the 600 for my metal/rock music. I already have LCD-2 for country, jazz, vocalists...I may try the HD800 for classical to get the spaciousness and "air" that most classical recordings need...
To me the 900s are almost too "hi-fi" sounding....very articulate in the upper mids treble almost to the point of clinical but not quite. 600's are definitely more laid back in that area. TH600 bass is nice and punchy/meaty. I kinda enjoy that thick meaty slightly darker sound of the 600s with the metal and rock. They do not fatigue me whereas the 900s might over time. The 900s have good bass but I like the 600 bass better...
I'm wondering how good the 600s would be if I had them sent off for balanced cables? hmmmm.....

YES THIS ^^^

I listen to mainly Electronica ... but yeah ... EXACTLY what he said .... and I have had the 900's for a while, I immediately noticed the difference .....

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,637 of 3,438
eac3 said:

How do vocals or the upper range perform in comparison to the Mad Dogs? I love my Mad Dogs, but I have been requiring more oomph on the low end. 

I've tried the Maddogs maybe 2 or three times now, and I have to say that the TH600's are more sparkly and crisp up top, but the upper mids are more distant (mids in general are more flat and less forward than the MD's). If you're really in love with the ortho smoothness and mid presentation of the MD's you'd probably want to stick with them, but if you're craving that bass and sparkle, the TH600's should be in your near future :wink:

Quote:
  OK I will make it quick and non controversial. The TH 600's sound better to me than the 900's. Across the board. I only bought a pair of 600's for travelling as I didn't want to scratch the wood of the 900's. The 600's are much more exciting. I am using my trusty Colorfly C4.

The End.

Personally I have tried the TH900 and find them better in the traditional hi-fi sense, with slightly better smoothness and more controlled bass, but in almost all respects they perform the same, and given amp choice, they can sound pretty much identical. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,638 of 3,438
You most definitely NEED to own both. There is no way around it Fido.

I hear ya. Well the 600's won out. The 600's really are a great headphone. They're a little more forgiving and fun. Love the bass on these. I tried to find a FR graph on headroom for the 600 to see why i preferred them to the 900 and to see the comparison to the D7000, but no 600 graph only the 900. Compared to the D-7000 it appears the 900's are elevated slightly around 1500-2000Hz and significantly elevated at 10,000Hz and up. There is a slight dip at around 600Hz. Like to see a graph of the 600.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,639 of 3,438

I hear ya. Well the 600's won out. The 600's really are a great headphone. They're a little more forgiving and fun. Love the bass on these. I tried to find a FR graph on headroom for the 600 to see why i preferred them to the 900 and to see the comparison to the D7000, but no 600 graph only the 900. Compared to the D-7000 it appears the 900's are elevated slightly around 1500-2000Hz and significantly elevated at 10,000Hz and up. There is a slight dip at around 600Hz. Like to see a graph of the 600.

Goldenear.net has measurements of both:
TH600
TH900

Hmm just noticed that TH600 has an somehow-near-flat impedance graph, quite rare for a non-ortho phones..

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,640 of 3,438

Goldenear.net has measurements of both:
TH600
TH900

Hmm just noticed that TH600 has an somehow-near-flat impedance graph, quite rare for a non-ortho phones..

More I listen to them more I like them over the 900's. Seem Juicier to me, much. Something is making me totally love these where it just wasn't there with the 900's. Same source.

They just seem so much more energetic.

I won't geek out :) with Graphs etc, I hear what I hear and I really like these, especially for the price. For me this isn't a case of diminishing returns with the TH900 vs 600 but reverse returns. Hmmmmmmm .....

The subjectivity will get you and your wallet every time.... until the next purchase!

I do really like my Bass, and this is the first time I think I can honestly say that I understand what people mean when they say Organic Bass now.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #1,641 of 3,438
  More I listen to them more I like them over the 900's. Seem Juicier to me, much. Something is making me totally love these where it just wasn't there with the 900's. Same source.

They just seem so much more energetic.

I won't geek out :) with Graphs etc, I hear what I hear and I really like these, especially for the price. For me this isn't a case of diminishing returns with the TH900 vs 600 but reverse returns. Hmmmmmmm .....

The subjectivity will get you and your wallet every time.... until the next purchase!

I do really like my Bass, and this is the first time I think I can honestly say that I understand what people mean when they say Organic Bass now.

I'm feelin ya my man! 900's just didn't have the romance. Kinda like the hot chick thats a bit cold with no sense of humor...lol.
 The 600's are the girl you overlook at first but once you get some time around her you fall in love! I can literally listen for hours with no fatigue. The 600's are forgiving of not so perfect recordings as well. Whereas the 900's would shout "the mix is pure crapp bro!" :D

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,647 of 3,438
uggghgh I want these. Are the mids as recessed as the D2000. I am speaking purely of tonal balance as I know they are in different leagues. I find the mids of the D2k tolerable. 

My D2000 Lawton modded and extra deep cups is verrrrry close in sound signature to the TH600 I auditioned a while back. Mids were to me excellent on both cans.

My point is for the additional investment don't expect a huge gain if any. Love them both!

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,648 of 3,438

uggghgh I want these. Are the mids as recessed as the D2000. I am speaking purely of tonal balance as I know they are in different leagues. I find the mids of the D2k tolerable. 

My D2000 Lawton modded and extra deep cups is verrrrry close in sound signature to the TH600 I auditioned a while back. Mids were to me excellent on both cans.

My point is for the additional investment don't expect a huge gain if any. Love them both!

I used to own stock D2K and modded D5K, and this puppy kills them right out of the box. The biggest change is bass, which is WAY more controlled than on either Denon and more details that don't blur when things get busy.
Midrange is probably closer to neutral than on Denons too. They are brand new out of the box and treble is a bit hot to my liking, hopefully that tames down with time.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,649 of 3,438
  I used to own stock D2K and modded D5K, and this puppy kills them right out of the box. The biggest change is bass, which is WAY more controlled than on either Denon and more details that don't blur when things get busy.
Midrange is probably closer to neutral than on Denons too. They are brand new out of the box and treble is a bit hot to my liking, hopefully that tames down with time.

if it doesn't then maybe some tubes can help out. Its hard to find a hp that gets it perfect. I know that with my gear they will sound really sharp. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,650 of 3,438
One thing for sure, they really tuned the bass right.
Dragonforce (speed metal) sounds nice, tight and not bloated at all, with Denons it was one big blob starting from lows and extending well into midrange.
So I can certainly say that bass at least as good if not better than MDR-7520.
Treble is hotter but not more than T1.

Disclaimer: Not phones for monitoring for sure, too much fun. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back