Fostex TH-900/TH-600 or LCD-2 for basshead (with sample playlist)
May 23, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #17 of 36
The LCD won't give you what your looking for especially running that amp/dac stack. The Fostex 600/900 are less bass heavy than the Denon AH-DXXXX line. I would contact Lawton Audio and pick up a pair of modded Denon AH-D2000's, I know he has some available.

May 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #18 of 36
I think you really have to know what is your sq standard. Like you can get a Sony for all that matters if you JUST WANT BASS. It seems like you got cash to spend. According to Anakchan and Headfonia it seems the th-600 is more neutral than the th-900. I can't confirm this as I have yet tried them. The d5k's bass were nice, had some punch to then but the highs were slightly fatiguing for me. The LCD-2 IMO is a great can. The bass quantity may not be tons but the impact is nice! The tastefully dark signature and dimensional sound is also great. But apparently according to some its soundstage is no good for classical. I can say that is true as I did not audition them with classical music. I don't own any of these headphones yet (still in a serious dilemma) but I know what I am saying with extensive research and audition.

May 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Most 'fun' sounding phone I had from bass slam/quantity and sparkly treble was the old Denon D5000's.  I don't have any experience with their current models....some hate them some like them, but the D600 is going for like $250 or so.

And what about the D7100 ? Try it. The bass are deep and interesting at low volume. It could be a good choice no ?

May 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #20 of 36
And what about the D7100 ? Try it. The bass are deep and interesting at low volume. It could be a good choice no ?

It is not bad just happened to be not many people tastes. I tried it and here's my assumption:
It has too much bass for most
There are too much reverberations
The sound signature is pretty dry (dip in low mids)

However the pros are that the bass may be a plus for some and it's spacious soundstage is frankly spectacular. Never checked out the rest as the dry sounds was a turn off.

May 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Yeah I haven't given that one a try yet.  I read the impressions from a few people around here that felt it was worse than the D600 but a bit more costly.  Thought the D600 may be a good option simply because of its low price comparatively.

May 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 36
Edit: So I might be able to get hold of a new pair of D5000s. It seems like there is kind of a concensus here that D5000s are perfect for what I'm asking for, only hard to find. What do you think?

May 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

I tried the D7100 at a local meet up and really disliked it. The entire sound signature sounded confined compared to the D5000. Not to mention they don't look that great. Denon should have stayed with Fostex not sure what they were thinking other then lets capitalize on the Beats market...

May 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Edit: So I might be able to get hold of a new pair of D5000s. It seems like there is kind of a concensus here that D5000s are perfect for what I'm asking for, only hard to find. What do you think?

Damn, where are you finding "new" pairs? If the price is right I would jump on it, worst comes to worst you can always resell they have a strong demand

May 24, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 36
It is not bad just happened to be not many people tastes. I tried it and here's my assumption:
It has too much bass for most
There are too much reverberations
The sound signature is pretty dry (dip in low mids)

However the pros are that the bass may be a plus for some and it's spacious soundstage is frankly spectacular. Never checked out the rest as the dry sounds was a turn off.

I find the mids to be forward and luscious :)

May 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
I find the mids to be forward and luscious
smily_headphones1.gif

1. I'm talking about the D7100 not D7000.
2. I was talking about the lower mids (near bass spectrum)

I can see why many owners of the previous denon line would dislike this headphone.

Previously, the bass was thumpy, slightly loose but it somehow blends with the music. In other words, the bass was great support to the music. So the previous denon line had smooth bass, correct word? And the current generation have really tons of solid bass. Making the bass steal the limelight and let the most important part of the music the mids to be somewhat lost in the bass. 

Also, the previous generation had a warm organic sound which was enjoyable. And the current generation has a dip in the lower mids. And previous owners, I'm guessing, would not like that at all. Trust me, dry-sounding cans can affect the music alot, potentially turning guitar strums into strident shrieks, hence making it the deal breaker for me.

However, the soundstage for a closed can is rather amazing and the bass might just fit the bill for those who love bass. Not sure about the highs though. And I believe there are those who like dry sounding cans, and an example of successful dry-sounding cans would be the Audio Technica AD Line.

May 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #27 of 36
I understand your view. I guess I am a anomaly because I really like the bass and mids a lot even over the 7000's! Like I said, I find the mids to be very luscious and a little airy. I admit though the highs seem lacking comparitively. Overall I think the 7100 is a better more value oriented can and a lot more versatile.

May 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:
I understand your view. I guess I am a anomaly because I really like the bass and mids a lot even over the 7000's! Like I said, I find the mids to be very luscious and a little airy. I admit though the highs seem lacking comparitively. Overall I think the 7100 is a better more value oriented can and a lot more versatile.

Oh, another plus that the newer line of denon would have would be ever so slightly better comfort and also better isolation.

May 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #29 of 36
The D7100 does have a dry and airy sound signature, very different from the D7000. It is even more so when amped. I never find the bass to be too much though, if anything there is less bass quantity on the 7100 than that on the 7000. Instrument separation and sound staging are fantastic, beats the 7000 even straight out of an iPod. Biggest problem still is the dry sound; making some music sound very unnatural. The D7000 remains the more musical can by far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back