Fostex TH-900/TH-600 or LCD-2 for basshead (with sample playlist)
May 21, 2013 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

taleniekov

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm selling my HE-400 because the bass is too weak for my tastes, and now I need a replacement.
Ive been doing some research, and LCD-2/Fostex seems like the way to go.
Someone said you pay alot for the pretty wood on TH-900, and that the drivers on the TH-600 are essentially the same.
I'm looking for a pair to use for all genres, and I will be wearing them very much, so I don't want anything too tiring or uncomfortable.

What do you guys think? LCD-2, TH-900 or TH-600?

My dac/amp is Schiit Modi and Magni, I dont think i will replace them anytime soon. Ive been told that will work with LCD2; dont know about fostex's (?).

Here are my musical tastes and a sample playlist:

Scores/soundtracks, many dub/dnb derivatives, and all kinds of eletronic music really. Also im a sucker for female vocals. 

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs__1a1gbPo   <- probably my favourite track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9kKLhuJmCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nct3Ovn4saw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8nYBqPRNKw <- really shait without good bass, flat and boring on HE-400. TDK BA200 handles it -pretty- well. Bass could be even stronger though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcL7MAqwOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMwyInzMDk8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3XzBhZqWMo <-- epic on HE-400 when played loudly enough -- though a good example of where i would really love some more punch; specifically on the bass/drum beat in the background, i really wish it was thicker. Not necessarily louder, just more thick and round sounding. That delicious bass underneath the saw after the drop too (2:55), i want it to shred my ears more.

May 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 36
Umm LCD-2 is not a basshead phone, common misconception. It's flat so quantity will lack (isn't it quite identical to HE-400?). Of course it will go very deep and EQd will give quite special distortionless subbass massage. But even with EQ it will lack actual punch that Fostex as closed phone can give. Why don't you consider Ultrasone Sigs? Anyway with closed the soundstage/airiness is a tradeoff.. though a little less with TH900.

May 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:
Umm LCD-2 is not a basshead phone, common misconception. It's flat so quantity will lack (isn't it quite identical to HE-400?). Of course it will go very deep and EQd will give quite special distortionless subbass massage. But even with EQ it will lack actual punch that Fostex as closed phone can give. Why don't you consider Ultrasone Sigs? Anyway with closed the soundstage/airiness is a tradeoff.. though a little less with TH900.

Yeah they agreed with you about the LCD-2s in another thread, but I don't know they just seem like such a safe buy based on everything ive heard and read; they get so much praise for everything, even bass! I wont EQ though, I've never been happy with EQ results.
The Fostex's seem more risky, like they might be tiring, are a little more expensive and arent as unanimously praised, but have more of my kind of bass. What do you think?

Also do you mean Ultrasone Signature Pro or Ultrasone Signature DJ?

May 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 36
Never heard the LCD-2, but I have a pair of LCD-3's and if the sound signature is even close, then no not a basehead HP at all. Not even a little. They can produce bass quite low but it's presented along with the rest of the frequency spectrum in a beautifully balanced way, not in an emphasized way.

May 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 36
Just realized you were considering buying a $2,000 pair of headphones with a $200 dac/amp. So editing this post as I have no clue now. I can tell you that I really didn't like the LCD-3's with my Schitt BiFrost/Lyr. 

May 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 36
Just realized you were considering buying a $2,000 pair of headphones with a $200 dac/amp. So editing this post as I have no clue now. I can tell you that I really didn't like the LCD-3's with my Schitt BiFrost/Lyr.

Where in the value/price scale would you say, based upon your experience, that a pair of cans do not do well with the Schitt BiFrost/Lyr?

May 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 36
I suppose my post sounded asinine, and I apologize for it. I just didn't like the LCD-3 with that combo very much. Don't like them much with an O2/ODAC which I also own. The HD-800 OTOH I liked pretty well with the Lyr/BiFrost combo and really liked the HiFiMan HE-500's. From my limited experience, the Audeze's didn't do it for me until I got the Stratus, and with that amp they are my favorite.

May 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:
Yeah they agreed with you about the LCD-2s in another thread, but I don't know they just seem like such a safe buy based on everything ive heard and read; they get so much praise for everything, even bass! I wont EQ though, I've never been happy with EQ results.
The Fostex's seem more risky, like they might be tiring, are a little more expensive and arent as unanimously praised, but have more of my kind of bass. What do you think?

Also do you mean Ultrasone Signature Pro or Ultrasone Signature DJ?

If you want hard hitting quality bass, Fostex or Ultrasone. I liked Pro, more than enough bass though the soundstage is very small and not as comfy as Fostex (though Sigs are fully isolating if that's something desirable). DJ might even be more to your liking, read the thread for comparisons. Given all that you've said, "upgrading" from HE-400 to LCD-2 doesn't make much sense since they are somewhat similar (I believe HE-400 is brighter, but that's the only phone I haven't tried).

May 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
I think the th900 is too much an investment for what you're after, plus I've read that th900 is more linear of the two.

Agreed.  I feel that the farther you move up the ladder the more refined the sound signatures usually become.  Which is kind of the opposite of what I'm assuming you're after if you want more bass than the HE-400.

Most 'fun' sounding phone I had from bass slam/quantity and sparkly treble was the old Denon D5000's.  I don't have any experience with their current models....some hate them some like them, but the D600 is going for like $250 or so.  Seams like it would be worth trying out at that price before you make the jump to a $1500 pair.

May 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:
If you want hard hitting quality bass, Fostex or Ultrasone. I liked Pro, more than enough bass though the soundstage is very small and not as comfy as Fostex (though Sigs are fully isolating if that's something desirable). DJ might even be more to your liking, read the thread for comparisons. Given all that you've said, "upgrading" from HE-400 to LCD-2 doesn't make much sense since they are somewhat similar (I believe HE-400 is brighter, but that's the only phone I haven't tried).

Ummm, the LCD-2 are WORLDS better than the HE-400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back