Fostex T60RP
Apr 21, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,216 of 1,451
I couldn’t resist after reading this thread - my pair arrived Monday from Amazon.
Initially I was underwhelmed - great detail, but little deep bass, and that shriek! The hump must hit my sensitive spot.
Tried some sheepskin angled that I got from Ali, which levelled things out a bit, but then I tried the brainwavz XLs that I got for my (much modified) k550s.
Surprisingly they fit well and are a good match for my BFG ears.
The microsuedes were smooth, but lost too much detail.
The pleathers gave the detail back but were too bass heavy, and mid bass ‘bloaty’.
The perforated pleathers had just the right bass, but still some bloat.
All three impressed me with how much they brought the bass up - I think the deep lip on these works to semi-close the baffle vents.
As a last step, I made a baffle piece out of 3mm wool felt (same shape as the Mayflower insert) and just loose-laid it into place.
Well! For me at least I think this is it! Treble is extended but never sharp, bass is deep but tight, mids perhaps a little recessed, but only a little, and all played against a very black background.
At the moment, I can’t find anything to nit-pick with them, but I’ll keep listening - I’m sure I can find something!
I’ll try & get some pics later.
Anyone else tried the XLs?
I also have a new pair of T60RP's. Testing out oval ZMF protein and swede pads, with and without the Mayflower baffle. All these slight mods make a big difference, and necessarily for the better.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #1,217 of 1,451
Crap, wait.... I had the baffle in backwards :wink:

Apr 22, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #1,218 of 1,451
Looking quite handsome, I think.

Attachments

• 19FAA12B-DF3C-45CE-9CD9-63D789DB575E.jpeg
    19FAA12B-DF3C-45CE-9CD9-63D789DB575E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #1,219 of 1,451
After extensive testing......... I'm really digging the following configuration:

2 blocked bass ports with painters tape, stock baffle, ZMF protein pads.

I would tell you how it sounds but I rather you guys try it for yourself :wink:

May 14, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,220 of 1,451
My balanced 4.4mm cable arrived :D

I use the T60RP with a Topping A50s for the most part. Sometimes my M11.

Using balanced out of the A50s is immediately better than SE - the extra power gives if more low-end oomph.

Will try on the M11 shortly

May 29, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,222 of 1,451
Single-ended:
"32Ω: 400mW@double high mode"

Yeah, but probably at 80-90% or 4-5 o'clock single-ended or more. You are likely right to forget single-ended with that DAP.

Balanced Output Power (BTL): Theoretically 4 times the single-ended power, actually measured:
300Ω: 320mW@ high voltage mode

Not sure how Quloos SE double high mode and balanced high mode equate, and we are talking ohms-to-ohms, but at 4 x 400mWs, then we are talking 1600mWs into 32. My Schiit Magni 3 is powering at just over @ 2000mWs into 32 single-ended, and I rarely go over 50% or 12 o'clock. So yeah, you will probably fine balanced with the QA361.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,224 of 1,451
This thread die ?

So, tightening the screws fixed the rattle ? Not many responses on this so want to be sure this is the fix.

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,226 of 1,451
I'd like to take this opportunity to share my software set up on the Mac. I'm using SoundSource with the Headphone EQ function with my gear. Currently I have an iFi iDSD Black Label DAC/Amp connected. Sometimes I'll swap in a Schiit stack consisting of a Modi 3, Loki Mini+, and an IEMagni instead.

The key is SoundSource's support of parametric EQ presets from the AutoEQ project.

Here's a screen shot of my system showing SoundSource in action. The T60rp sounds truly amazing.

Screen Shot of SoundSource + T60rp AutoEQ Preset -03.png

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,228 of 1,451
SoundSource is what I'm using too on BigSur, but I prefer to create my own EQ curves instead of using Headphone EQ's presets.
That's cool. I tend to use the presets, then tweak them with the Loki Mini+ or the XBass and 3D+ toggles on the iDSD. It's all good. :beerchug: :L3000:

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,229 of 1,451
I received my T60’s today. I like them better than the T50RP, those I matched the mayflower baffles and the shure 840 pads and sound great.

The T60’s foam ring was a bad idea. I tried the stock T50 baffles in them and way better. Then tried the accessory house sheepskin angled pads and that was even better. Then swapped out the stock T50 baffles for the mayflower baffles and even better.

Funny thing was the accessory house sheepskin angled pads did not work well on the T50 but work great on the T60’s.

As much as I liked the stock pads sound on both, clearly you can do better with other pads but not pads alone. It takes the right match and the mayflower baffles really did it. But even the T50 stock baffles sounded way better than the T60 ring baffles. I tried matching the T60 stock pads with the mayflower baffles but it didn’t work well.

One thing I didn’t want to do was muffled the mids and hf or over blown bass. Or also make the soundstage and airiness suffer. It took a lot of swapping out and trying this pad and that baffle but you eventually find a match.

I think the T60 sounds ok stock, but too much HF and bass really suffers in favor of a wide soundstage and airiness. But after the swap of pads/baffles it def beats the T50RP MKIII.

BTW: no creaking and no driver issues.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,230 of 1,451
Probably goes without saying, but I love these headphones after Argonization.
Suede oval pads are crazy comfortable. Wide, soft sound and some bass boost makes them so smooth I can (and have) listened for days at a time.
Only downside, after like two weeks is a bit too much clamp. I will have to bend and stretch a little bit

Not sure if I would have kept the stock 'phones for the long term, but I think these are a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back