Fostex T60RP
Apr 13, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,205 of 1,451
Ordered the T60RP on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday from Amazon -
njcheadamp.jpg

my headphone amp (pictured) outputs 2.2W into 50Ohms so should do the trick - if there are QC issues with the headphones i will return to Amazon and swap out for another pair but i am hoping they will be OK - If all is good with the cans i shall get aftermarket pads and headphone cable.

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #1,206 of 1,451
Ordered the T60RP on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday from Amazon - njcheadamp.jpg
my headphone amp (pictured) outputs 2.2W into 50Ohms so should do the trick - if there are QC issues with the headphones i will return to Amazon and swap out for another pair but i am hoping they will be OK - If all is good with the cans i shall get aftermarket pads and headphone cable.
Headphones have arrived and the first thing i played was from this software : https://www.audiocheck.net - pleased to say that they passed all tests so i have a pristine pair free of any defects - chuffed !! - music next.

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,207 of 1,451
Well, I had a bit of a problem after getting a set of HE400i 2020 recently - my first planars and my first open back.
They have ruined my enjoyment of the KZ ZS10pro that I use when I leave the house haha.

Went to a shop today to check out the Fostex sets they had, initially wanting to try the T50RP.
Didn't try the stock ones, but did try the Dekoni Blue version. They were OK, but lacked in the treble department.

Then tried the T60RP - much better!
So I got them :D

They don't seem leak much sound which is good - will be using em while walking, and on public transport.

The Fiio M11 drives them pretty well via 3.5mm on high gain, but will be looking online for a 4.4mm balanced cable to get a bit more power into em.

Haven't had a great deal of time with them yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Will try them with the Topping A50s tomorrow after work for a decent listening session.

IMG_20210414_154418.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,208 of 1,451
Well, I had a bit of a problem after getting a set of HE400i 2020 recently - my first planars and my first open back.
They have ruined my enjoyment of the KZ ZS10pro that I use when I leave the house haha.

Went to a shop today to check out the Fostex sets they had, initially wanting to try the T50RP.
Didn't try the stock ones, but did try the Dekoni Blue version. They were OK, but lacked in the treble department.

Then tried the T60RP - much better!
So I got them :D

They don't seem leak much sound which is good - will be using em while walking, and on public transport.

The Fiio M11 drives them pretty well via 3.5mm on high gain, but will be looking online for a 4.4mm balanced cable to get a bit more power into em.

Haven't had a great deal of time with them yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Will try them with the Topping A50s tomorrow after work for a decent listening session.

I find that they work great out of my phone (LG V30), but there is no bass to speak of. Give them access to a powerful amp and wow!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #1,209 of 1,451
Apr 16, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,210 of 1,451
What are these triangular holes for?

Attachments

• holes.png
    holes.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,213 of 1,451
In my experience of replacing the pads on the T60, there is no sound improvement.
The headphones sound best for me when they are close to the ear.
I tested the ZMF Ori Lambskin - comfortable, boosts the bass, (a thick collar closes all 8 holes in the partition) at the expense of other frequencies, Impressive, but if you like this sound, you just need to buy a HyperyX Cloud and it will be better and cheaper.
Dekoni velor - It's just an improvement in comfort, sound degradation, maybe a little better bass.
Hybrid Brainwavz - better than Dekoni, but still not.
Old pads from the Denon D2000 turned out to be interesting and promising. I ordered new original ones for the Fostex TH610.
The T60s sound great on the narrow T50rp mk3 pads, only the stage closer and goes into the head, not forward. Well, comfort drops, you know.
So for now, the original pads remain.
I have tried more mods to open the 3 holes inside the cups. I have the impression that after opening, there is chaos in the scene and location.
Thick pads also require more power from the amplifier. While the T50rp mk3 sounded quite tolerable on the Mojo, the T60rp ZMF Lambskin Mojo did not make it (loud, but unpleasant)
At the moment I'm a bit disappointed with the T60 I prefer the T50rp mk3 despite the rough high frequencies.
However, he does not give up. I am waiting for the tH610 pads and are planning an additional amplifier for Mojo.
My aim is max 450 euro maybe Monoprise THX AAA 887? Do you know better suggestions for this price? GL:)

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,215 of 1,451
I couldn’t resist after reading this thread - my pair arrived Monday from Amazon.
Initially I was underwhelmed - great detail, but little deep bass, and that shriek! The hump must hit my sensitive spot.
Tried some sheepskin angled that I got from Ali, which levelled things out a bit, but then I tried the brainwavz XLs that I got for my (much modified) k550s.
Surprisingly they fit well and are a good match for my BFG ears.
The microsuedes were smooth, but lost too much detail.
The pleathers gave the detail back but were too bass heavy, and mid bass ‘bloaty’.
The perforated pleathers had just the right bass, but still some bloat.
All three impressed me with how much they brought the bass up - I think the deep lip on these works to semi-close the baffle vents.
As a last step, I made a baffle piece out of 3mm wool felt (same shape as the Mayflower insert) and just loose-laid it into place.
Well! For me at least I think this is it! Treble is extended but never sharp, bass is deep but tight, mids perhaps a little recessed, but only a little, and all played against a very black background.
At the moment, I can’t find anything to nit-pick with them, but I’ll keep listening - I’m sure I can find something!
I’ll try & get some pics later.
Anyone else tried the XLs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back