Fostex T-X0 Massdrop edition
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #136 of 242
The sliding mechanism on the right side of my pair is a bit loose. It moves position every time I put the headphone on or take it off, causing me to have to readjust after putting it on. Is this normal? Is it something I should consider contacting Massdrop about? Thanks.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #137 of 242
The sliding mechanism on the right side of my pair is a bit loose. It moves position every time I put the headphone on or take it off, causing me to have to readjust after putting it on. Is this normal? Is it something I should consider contacting Massdrop about? Thanks.

Yeah they seem a bit more loose then the original stock but mine seem to stay in position when I take them off or put them on..

I think you can tighten the screws where the leather headband is but not sure if this will tighten slides.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #138 of 242
These might be hard for a smartphone to drive, but any half-decent DAP will bring them to life just fine. They sounded full and dynamic from the new Shanling M3s. I haven't tried yet, but I have a feeling I'll really love them on the Cayin i5, with it's monster low-end.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #139 of 242
I tend to lurk here much more than I post, but received my T-X0s two days ago and figured I'd share some impressions after listening for a bit. First off, build quality is good and they have a nice heft to them. The earcup sliders seem a hair loose to me but that can be fixed easily enough with a Torx wrench. Since it's another headphone offered on Massdrop and elsewhere and a number of people have them, I spent a few hours A/B-ing them against the E-MU Teak. The E-MU is dynamic as opposed to planar, but I believe the two headphones are both billed as closed back even if they behave somewhat semi-closed in use. Keep in mind that everyone hears things a little differently, but here goes:

Comparing Fostex T-X0 to E-MU Teaks >
- The Fostex are pretty comfortable and the clamping force is sufficient without feeling like my head's in a vice. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of velour earpads; they get itchy on me much quicker than leather earpads which I prefer for long listening sessions. Personally, I find the E-MU to have the edge in comfort.
- The E-MU is much easier to drive, the Fostex is considerably less efficient. I was able to get good volume out of the T-X0 through a FiiO X5ii on 'high' gain, but they benefited noticeably when I switched over to a Schiit Magni 2U.
- Bass on the Fostex is rich, tight and a touch punchy; the E-MU is a little looser.
- Mids and vocals sound fairly natural on the Fostex; the E-MU sounds almost slightly tinny in comparison.
- Highs on the Fostex are good, clear and smooth, almost liquid.
- E-MU overall sound is a little airier and crisper, the Fostex sound a little warmer.
- Separation and detail is very good on the Fostex.
- Soundstage is wider on the E-MU.
- The Fostex is a bit more fatiguing over long listening sessions.
- The Fostex is very revealing and not terribly forgiving on MP3s and poorly recorded material. Comparing the same songs in lossless 16/44 FLAC and 320-kbps MP3, I could tell them apart immediately. And if a recording sounds like crap, it will REALLY sound like crap on the Fostex.
- The Fostex excels with well-recorded sources and 24-bit music. They sound good with everything I could throw at them, but really shine on jazz and acoustic music, and aren't too shabby on reggae.

It's only been a few days but so far I'm liking the T-X0 a lot. For $150 I'm pleasantly surprised and very impressed. Cheers!

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #140 of 242
I receive my pair of T-X0 today. The finish is fine, both drivers working great, no friction difference between left/right sliders.

I am doing quick listening with the my audio-gd Reference 5.32/SA-31SE now. It is definitely the least resolving among all the full size headphones I currently own, also the warmest sounding with some treble roll-off. Sound stage width is Ok, with not much sound stage depth. Imaging is about on par with my Yamaha Pro500 and Grado SR325e. Bass extension is decent but not great, mid bass slam is about at same level of my SR325e. I bought it to use in my office for casual listening. For $149 it is a good buy. The pads are quite comfortable as long as the air conditioning is on. Hopefully Massdrop will continue to offer the same pads as replacement in the future.

The part I like the most about the T-X0 is its low key/industrial looking styling. It looks like those headphones artillery soldiers are wearing. No one in the office is going to ask if it is expensive (well it isn't)
5222698085_03d66da3ec_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #142 of 242
Got my T-X0's in the mail last week and after a bit of break in I must say that I am quite pleased with the sound. They are a nice midpoint between my DT770s and my HD598s and a fun entry point into the world of planar headphones.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #143 of 242
I wish I could be positive about these, but I cannot. I have had my set since last week, but just was able to fire them up tonight. First I used my iDSD BL. Nasty. Bloated bass, midrange suck out, some tinkle tinkle on the top... <SIGH> I connected them to the other device I had plugged in and available. The CV2+. They definitely sounded better. The Burson gives them more foundation, but still lots of mid bass with not much articulation and missing lots of things in the middle that make guitars and voices sound good. I did not even get to esoteric analysis like sound field and detail retrieval. The tonality was so off putting. Looks and construction are always secondary to me, so I have not really inspected them closely. I put headphones on and listen first. Unless they are messed up out of the box...grossly messed up, that is the last thing I worry about.

I will let them cook for a while. Maybe chase down some mods. As of now. I can't help but feel that my money could have been better spent elsewhere..

Just as a point of reference, recently I have been listening quite a bit to the Aeon closed and HE 560, with a sprinkling of HE 1000 V1. I never expected this set to rival any of those... but Damn... how disappointing.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #144 of 242
Just as a point of reference, recently I have been listening quite a bit to the Aeon closed and HE 560, with a sprinkling of HE 1000 V1. I never expected this set to rival any of those... but Damn... how disappointing.

I would look at these more as a compliment to those, as they are VERY different. AEON and 560, and HE1K all strive for supreme neutrality. Whereas the T-X0 is much warmer and bassier, which makes it a great palette cleanser. And at this price, that's quite the bargain for your collection. :wink:

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #145 of 242
Well, sorry, but they don't compliment my ears nor my sonic sensibilities. I have to want to listen to them before they are anything more than awkward paper weights.

I will try at a later date to listen more. I definitely have not given them much time. OTH, I normally can tell pretty quickly whether anything audio is worth the effort.
With all of the good words about these and modded derivatives, I just hoped for far more.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #146 of 242
I certainly haven't given them enough time on my ears, either. They're helping to burn-in my new Shanling M3s right now. Next Friday I'll probably pick them up again and see what's what.

I will say, if all you've been listening to is neutral headphones, then it may take a couple of days of strict listening to something different before your brain will adjust to the new profile. Once that happens, you may discover a deep appreciation for this type of tuning. This is all theoretical, of course. But I've had experiences like that. The 64Audio U12 was one. It took a few days, but I grew to love that above all others for a full year before finding something that beat it.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #147 of 242
I completely agree with the concept of allowing the perceptual system to adjust, I most certainly will do that if these things get some level of interest to make it worthwhile.
I promise! :ksc75smile:

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #148 of 242
I have read the T-X0 was tuned by seeking advice from "the other headphone website" community, which in general prefers headphones with treble roll-off.

For $149 I cannot complain. I knew it will be a warm/treble roll-off headphones at the time I placed my order. I saw it as a value alternative to the ZMF T-50RP mods and LCD-2. Well, actually $149 is the max I would spend for any pair of treble roll-off, "forgiving" headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back