Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,157 of 1,448
Quote:
Did anyone try to drive a Beyerdynamic T1 with the HP-P1? I have the possibility to demo the T1 at a local shop and would like to bring my own amp with me but want to avoid carrying a desktop amp around.

After looking at the stats on the T1 I'd say there's no way the HP could do it. On my shure iems it can get much louder than I ever need them to be, but to get enough juice to properly demo that pair I'd say you need a desktop amp for it. If you don't want to do that I'm sure it would give you at least a vague idea of they would sound like on a stronger amp though.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,158 of 1,448
For a transportable setup, you could smack on an O2 amp...more power than you'll ever need.

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,159 of 1,448
Hi,

i've been using the hp-p1 for quite some time and i noticed a big drop in battery life for a full charge. i only get like 3-4 hours of bat life from a full charge. has anyone opened up the hp-p1 to see what kind of batteries do i need to have the existing one replaced? no more warranty since i got it from a trade. your help would be greatly appreciated

thank you!

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,160 of 1,448
So far my battery life is 6-7 hours. If you find out how to replace them please post what you find.

popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,161 of 1,448
I think one way to damage the battery is to flatten and then leave uncharged for at least a few days? 

The battery is soldered to the mainboard via a number of wires, it may be possible to get a larger capacity replacement, looks like there is room.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,162 of 1,448
It might be best to contact Fostex to find out what kind of battery it is. Worst comes to worst they won't tell you, but they might even offer to replace it or ship a battery to you if you feel comfortable soldering. Who knows until you ask?

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,163 of 1,448
Quote:
It might be best to contact Fostex to find out what kind of battery it is. Worst comes to worst they won't tell you, but they might even offer to replace it or ship a battery to you if you feel comfortable soldering. Who knows until you ask?

i've already contacted fostex and they just told me to refer to my local distributor. it's still a problem since there's no local distributor in my country 
confused.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,166 of 1,448
Quote:
here are the idevices that i use the hp-p1 with:
iPod Classic : 1.1.2
iPad Mini: 6.1.3
iPhone: iOS7 beta 5
iPod Touch: 6.1.3

also i never use the amp. i only use the DAC and connect it to my other amps.

what is your firmware of your Fostex hp_p1.....................

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,167 of 1,448
here are the idevices that i use the hp-p1 with:
iPod Classic : 1.1.2
iPad Mini: 6.1.3
iPhone: iOS7 beta 5
iPod Touch: 6.1.3

also i never use the amp. i only use the DAC and connect it to my other amps.
Please do not take this as criticism, as I sincerely would like to know the following: why purchase the HP-P1 instead of the CLAS? The HP-P1 was meant to be a one brick solution--it seems you are negating the entire point of such a device. Would it not be easier to carry around a CLAS and a similarly slim amp, as opposed to the rather bulky and cumbersome HP-P1 with yet another amp? Of course, if you are using this as your home source, please disregard what I've said.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #1,168 of 1,448
I have both. The CLAS is only slightly smaller than the hp-p1. There is also a sound sig difference. The hp-p1 sounds more aggressive to me, which can be beneficial in portable setups due to surroundings. The CLAS can sound very good but is warm and layers are not as separated, it needs a goose amp to shine, thus big brick. So yes Hp-p1 a smaller one piece solution, and it can be a brick too. I like them both and use them in different situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back