Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
May 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,021 of 1,448
I demo`d a few DAPs today and also took along my trusty old Fostex hp_p1, I am happy to report it measured well (according to my humble ears) with the other DAPs -AK120, Hifiman 901, DX100, MS-AK100 and RWAK100.

You can read my bullet points here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/5205#post_9470946

And Anakchan report (we went together, he just tried the DAPs):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/5205#post_9470847

I still use my Fostex and as time goes on I appreciate more and more what an amazing device it is, it pains me to use the iphone4 headphone out now days.
Just waiting for my Hifi-m8 to finally arrive then see which one I end up keeping!

May 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,022 of 1,448
Looks like we found the exception to the FOTM rule....Great to hear all the continued positive feedback!

May 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,023 of 1,448
FOTM's come and go.
Some things stay on for a long time. HD600/650 and HP-P1 are some of them.

May 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,024 of 1,448
Quote:
FOTM's come and go.
Some things stay on for a long time. HD600/650 and HP-P1 are some of them.

The HD650's also pair very nicely with the HP-P1...

Ya gotta love the Classics!

May 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,025 of 1,448
Quote:
I demo`d a few DAPs today and also took along my trusty old Fostex hp_p1, I am happy to report it measured well (according to my humble ears) with the other DAPs -AK120, Hifiman 901, DX100, MS-AK100 and RWAK100.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/5205#post_9470946

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/5205#post_9470847

I still use my Fostex and as time goes on I appreciate more and more what an amazing device it is, it pains me to use the iphone4 headphone out now days.
Just waiting for my Hifi-m8 to finally arrive then see which one I end up keeping!

I'll be lazy and not think,,,, just post my last. :)

Quote:
Thought I would post that after 9 months of HP-P1 use with a variety of HP's and CIEM's that I still love this device. I use it a lot with my extensive travel and it is wonderful.

There is always another FOTM toy to consider, but I am still very satisfied with the HP-P1!  
biggrin.gif

Portable Enjoyment (Click to show)

I completely agree with you Eric. The HP-P1 > i-Device is a marvel and I feel very fortunate to have found this set up. Many contenders are trying to dethrone it but, so far it rules....Long Live The King!

May 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,026 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thought I would post that after 9 months of HP-P1 use with a variety of HP's and CIEM's that I still love this device. I use it a lot with my extensive travel and it is wonderful.

There is always another FOTM toy to consider, but I am still very satisfied with the HP-P1!  
biggrin.gif

Portable Enjoyment (Click to show)

I completely agree with you Eric. The HP-P1 > i-Device is a marvel and I feel very fortunate to have found this set up. Many contenders are trying to dethrone it but, so far it rules....Long Live The King!

Now to make sure I do not get mustard on it as I wolf down Bratwurst for the holiday weekend...
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,027 of 1,448
Just thought I'd say I find myself using the HP-P1 as a digital source for my desktop setup. Using the optical out to a Naim Dac V1 works exceptionally well, in some ways better than the Wadia iTransport I used to use. Gotta love the versatility of this device.

regards,

Giles

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #1,031 of 1,448
I did, all 60+ pages... just needed more opinions. IMO, what many people seem to be comparing are headphone-out vs HP-P1, whereas I am coming from LOD vs HP-P1.

Need more opinions besides Lillee's. 
rolleyes.gif

The LOD is just bypassing the amp of an I device. Still using the DAC of the device. The HP-P1 does sound significantly better to me. But I believe all of that is subjective, you should have a heat for yourself if possible. I actually want to sell mine to fund a purchase of a CLAS R.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,032 of 1,448
Quote:
I'm really considering buying this. Is the sound really that much better than analog coming from normal LOD? 

Compared to an iPhone (4S or 5) or an iPod (Multiple generations) the HP-P1 is a major step up in sound quality. It is well suited for IEM's, CIEM's and HP's. I love it with my HD650's, HD25-1 ii's, DT1350's. It even does a decent job with the HD800's. I have not used it with Planer HP's so I have no opinion there. It is amazing with my JH16's and ACS T1's.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,033 of 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs

Portable Enjoyment (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Now to make sure I do not get mustard on it as I wolf down Bratwurst for the holiday weekend...

Hi 3 of you

I will always keep my Fostex forever.
Fostex Hp p1 is the same like cyberlabs solo old , these two classical dac / amp I will keep forever.

Please don't sell them , you won't regret
Now has so many Dac or Dac/ amp are coming , but still the SQ from Fostex Hp P1 can not far from me :D

Now my friends miss their Fostex Hp P1 and their bought again.:D

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,034 of 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs

Portable Enjoyment (Click to show)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hi 3 of you

I will always keep my Fostex forever.
Fostex Hp p1 is the same like cyberlabs solo old , these two classical dac / amp I will keep forever.

Please don't sell them , you won't regret
Now has so many Dac or Dac/ amp are coming , but still the SQ from Fostex Hp P1 can not far from me :D

Now my friends miss their Fostex Hp P1 and their bought again.:D

True! Fostex signature sound is something special. Don't like it much with some of my IEM, but I love my Denon D5000 + HP P1 combo, that's HiFi right there!

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,035 of 1,448
Yes, the Fostex is a great bit of gear. Certainly outshines my ipods on their own.
And as Rudi quoted me above is on a par with other high end DAPs imho.

It does take a bit of getting used to as any high end gear does, one must retrain the ears.

Of course it is best with lossless files and decent headphones! -waste of time otherwise imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back