Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Feb 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #916 of 1,448
I can't help but think you would enjoy ALO RxMKIII. That'll drive everything in a powerful and engaging fashion.

I don't like to say the HP-P1 isn't good for this or that, but it's super nice for the T5p and what the T5p does best. I also really like it with SR325is and DT1350, I would probably try the PS500 and even the TH900 with it. See where I'm going. It's a very refined little unit, perhaps too subtle for people who want more powerful performance. As always it's best to have go yourself. But I think the most important consideration is match your music to your equipment, I have found there does not exist a jack of all music.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #917 of 1,448
Quote:

My own experience was that the HD25-1 ii was surprisingly not good a good pairing with the HP-P1.  The sound is "crowded" is the best explanation I can think of, just too packed in--the opposite of "spacious."

This is in comparison to my Westone 3s and AKG K550s.

Thank you for the reply sir. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #918 of 1,448
Quote:

My own experience was that the HD25-1 ii was surprisingly not good a good pairing with the HP-P1.  The sound is "crowded" is the best explanation I can think of, just too packed in--the opposite of "spacious."

This is in comparison to my Westone 3s and AKG K550s.

Interesting...I have not experienced this with my HD25-1 ii's and the HP=P1. I have found it to be a strong pairing. Good example of listening for yourself and see how it sounds to you personally.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #919 of 1,448
It seems Fostex didn't go for a HP-P1 successor but released a HP-V1 tube amp instead. Further info here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650221/new-fostex-hp-v1-portable-amp

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #920 of 1,448
Quote:

Thanks for your explanation longbowbbs. Unfortunately I don't think the HP-P1 DAC is doing any processing of this signal? The signal in must be digital, analog signals will simply be going through analog processing, no conversion from digital to analog. Possibly a simple way to check is if the digital filter switch changes the sound at all while this setup is running?

I was thinking an app on my iPod Touch could receive digital via WiFi/Bluetooth and pass that to the digital input of the HP-P1 through USB A. 

AJ, a follow up. In this configuration, the Filters do make a difference. It basically confirms what the manual indicates that the DAC is being used in this fashion. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #921 of 1,448
Interesting...I have not experienced this with my HD25-1 ii's and the HP=P1. I have found it to be a strong pairing. Good example of listening for yourself and see how it sounds to you personally.

No doubt it's always better to listen for yourself and I'd have to admit I might not have voiced this impression of the HD25 pairing had I not recently bought the K550 and heard the striking diffs.

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #922 of 1,448
Fostex said that the HP-P1 lasts 7 hours of run time right? Is that on the lowest gain setting? Because when I listen with my HE-500 on high gain, I think it cuts the battery life by almost 2 hours. I haven't timed it yet so I'm not sure.
But if one day, the battery has run out of life, is it user replaceable or does it need to be sent to Fostex for a battery change?
Oh and yes, I do listen to it with my HE-500 at home, I don't have a desktop amp yet. It's not powerful enough to drive the HE-500 with authority but it does it quite well surprisingly.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #923 of 1,448
Quote:
No doubt it's always better to listen for yourself and I'd have to admit I might not have voiced this impression of the HD25 pairing had I not recently bought the K550 and heard the striking diffs.

Synergy is such a big part of good sound. It is always interesting how different products and either be terrific or not so much when individually they are all good.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #926 of 1,448
After searching this thread for any references to ER4, I have this question: is the Fostex HP-P1, by itself, decent enough to drive the Etymotic ER4-P/S?  I'm not dying to go out and buy an amp, etc., but if there is a dramatic improvement, I will.

Any thoughts are appreciated--I just received my HP-P1 and will be breaking it in w/ my ER4-P/S over the next several weeks.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #927 of 1,448
Quote:
AJ, a follow up. In this configuration, the Filters do make a difference. It basically confirms what the manual indicates that the DAC is being used in this fashion. 

Sorry to be bumping an old post here. Funnily I was talking to another maker and he mentioned that the filter in the HP-P1 was really a switch on the headphone impedance out for 10 ohm and 50 ohm. I've long sold my HP-P1 to validate this statement.

Just wondering if anyone here have any thoughts to this from auditorial tests.

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #928 of 1,448
Quote:

Sorry to be bumping an old post here. Funnily I was talking to another maker and he mentioned that the filter in the HP-P1 was really a switch on the headphone impedance out for 10 ohm and 50 ohm. I've long sold my HP-P1 to validate this statement.

Hi Anak, question please. When you say filter do you mean the switch that is supposed to be for acoustic eliminating reverb?

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #929 of 1,448
Quote:

My sound description language is poor, but:

Filter 1 - more immediate or direct.
Filter 2 - ever so slight delay, possibly described as slightly more big sounding.

I am certain there is a change when switching between the filters.

Otherwise with T5p, I can detect no other change between filter position 1 and 2. 

I would be surprised if it changed the output impedance of the amplifier, or had anything to do with the amplifier at all.

ADD: I had Gottfried Huppertz Metropolis orchestral score playing. Maybe there is some music which highlights the filter difference better?

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #930 of 1,448
Quote:
Hi Anak, question please. When you say filter do you mean the switch that is supposed to be for acoustic eliminating reverb?

Yes I believe it's that switch with Filter 1 & 2 on it.
Quote:

My sound description language is poor, but:

Filter 1 - more immediate or direct.
Filter 2 - ever so slight delay, possibly described as slightly more big sounding.

I am certain there is a change when switching between the filters.

Otherwise with T5p, I can detect no other change between filter position 1 and 2. 

I would be surprised if it changed the output impedance of the amplifier, or had anything to do with the amplifier at all.

ADD: I had Gottfried Huppertz Metropolis orchestral score playing. Maybe there is some music which highlights the filter difference better?

I remember that when I had the HP-P1 I did hear a difference but it was slight and I was testing with IEMs. I just realised this would be an easy test that if the claim was true about it being 10/50ohm switch on a high impedance headphone, it wouldn't make much of a difference. I didn't have any high impedance headphones then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back