Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #452 of 1,448
Bought a TWAGv2 cable out of curiosity... I'll post back if I can hear any difference. Knowing that the iPhone 5 is rumoured to be adopting a smaller dock connector... We might have to upgrade cables again in the new future... :) :xf_eek:

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #453 of 1,448
I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree. Will you hear a difference with with wires made of differing metals and construction? Maybe. But if you look at reviews from usb cables and usb to spdif convertors you will notice that the biggest differences are heard when isolating the power wires from transmission wires.Or in the case of the convertors, isolating the power from the source (computer) completely via battery.  Not that I have any idea how to do such a thing or the technical expertise to build one. And honestly, the thing sounds so good right now, I don't even feel like changing anything!

On another note, anyone have any luck getting the firmware updated. I see Moon Audio will do it if you bought it from them...I didn't. Anyone figure this one out?

Steve

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #455 of 1,448
For me it was not so much a matter of cable material as it was compactness and portability. The short moulded cable is infinitely easier to carry around than the stock cable.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #456 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:
Does a higher quality USB > Dock cable actually make any audible improvements?

I don't think so. Remember, what's coming out of the iDevice and is going into the HP_P1 is a digital signal, so the quality of the cable should make no difference at all. Either the signal gets there or it doesn't. 0 or 1.

If you claim that you can hear the difference between different quality HDMI cables or SPDIF cables, I'll be impressed (and skeptical.)

I'll be honest, for me, it's about the cosmetics. I wanted a non-white cable.

Having the correct impedance to prevent reflections will matter. Beyond that, indeed, most people buy these things because they are neater. The cost is in the awful labour of building one (I gave up trying to build one after one cable).

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #457 of 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by triodesteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On another note, anyone have any luck getting the firmware updated. I see Moon Audio will do it if you bought it from them...I didn't. Anyone figure this one out?

If your retailer can't help you, I'd contact Fostex directly about a firmware update. You may have to mail it in to Japan?

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #458 of 1,448
I got mine updated via the national distributor for Fostex in my country. It takes 10 mins and needs a special USB device from fostex. Check your firmware first, the latest is Software 1.1.1 and hardware 1.1.2

Only improvements are related to battery charging while unit is in use.

Good luck

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #462 of 1,448
Quote:
I got mine updated via the national distributor for Fostex in my country. It takes 10 mins and needs a special USB device from fostex. Check your firmware first, the latest is Software 1.1.1 and hardware 1.1.2
Only improvements are related to battery charging while unit is in use.
Good luck

Hi Lillee,  my HP-P1 seems only last about 4-5 hours after the update.  And the iPod classic Never runs out of battery after, seems like it is constantly been charged by the HP-P1.   Could this be the reason for the lower battery life?   Do you have the same experience with your set?  Look forward to your advice.  Thanks.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #463 of 1,448
Quote:
Hi Lillee,  my HP-P1 seems only last about 4-5 hours after the update.  And the iPod classic Never runs out of battery after, seems like it is constantly been charged by the HP-P1.   Could this be the reason for the lower battery life?   Do you have the same experience with your set?  Look forward to your advice.  Thanks.

The HP-P1 does seem to charge the iPod when connected.  I've had it bring to life an iPod that otherwise needed recharging and would not work unless charged.  I plugged it into the Fostex and it came on within a minute or two of being plugged in and lasted for hours after that.  So it must be pulling a charge off the Fostex batteries.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #464 of 1,448
Quote:

I ran a little test a while back just after getting the latest firmware:

Here is what I did:  I ran my iPod alone until it went dead- so dead that it wouldn't turn on by simply docking it.  I had to charge it for about five minutes for it to be able to turn back on.  So essentially from 0%, I connected it to the fully charged Fostex.  Then I ran the two for as long as I could.  In the end, I got about four hours out of the Fostex before the lights went red, and my iPod was about 50% charged (roughly, according to the battery indicator bar).  Keep in mind this charging of the iPod was done while playing music at a moderate-to-loud listening level with my JVC FX700 IEMs.  So if you had less (or more) efficient cans, your results might differ.

I'm not sure how the batteries of the Classic and Touch compare, but I'm sure you'll find similar results.  I think the moral of the story is as long as you keep your iPod fully charged, you will get the expected ~8hrs of runtime from the Fostex.  And since the Fostex continually charges the iPod, it's not hard to keep it fully charged all the time.  I usually just leave the USB power connected whenever it's on my desk.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #465 of 1,448
My 7G classic is always fully charged, I just plug my Fostex into power each night along with my other devices as part of my normal routine. I don't use it for longer than 1-2 hours without charging as I plug it in as soon as I get into the office, so sorry I can't help much there!

Definitely sure of one thing though, the firmware update allows the Fostex to top up charge my classic ipod. I've never needed to charge my ipod in 6 months.

I agree with all of what Mkubota1 says. if your iPod is fully charged to start with and the Fostex is fully charged, you will get max life out of the Fostex.

If you need longer life, have you considered a battery pack like Energizer or NewTrent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back