Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Mar 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #346 of 1,448
Just bought my HP-P1.  Need some advice on charging.

Can I charge HP-P1 using the iPhone wall socket (usb charger)?

Or, must I charge HP-P1 via usb cable to computer?

And, lastly, must I charge using the Fostex supplied usb cable?  Or, can I use other usb cable to charge HP-P1?

Thanks for helping.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #347 of 1,448
Yes, to your first question. Not really sure about using the PC(It might be ok,but going by what the current iPods display when they are hooked up via usb to your PC I would'nt think it would be preferable. As far as not using the supplied usb charging cable, once again you can probably use a similar(same connectors)cable but if you look at the Fostex cable you'll notice it's larger in diameter than most of the other commonly available cables. Whether that relates to the Fostex cable being able to transfer a little more current & thus a shorter amount of time needed to charge the HP P1 I'm not sure(seems like a logical guess,but I'm not an EE)

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #348 of 1,448
I started getting these popping, static noises while using the HP-P1.  I just fully charged it overnight like I've always done.  I've tried several headphones, daps, cables, etc.  Only happens through the HP-P1 headphone out.  Any ideas or suggestions?  

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #349 of 1,448
This has been covered many times, hard reboot your iDevice and this should fix the popping. Something to do with memory or buffer issues? Some have had to reboot it several times to get rid of the popping

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #351 of 1,448

Quote:
Quote:
There's obviously an overall benefit using the HP-P1 overall, but I thought it worth taking a few minutes to compare the DAC performance since it's not cheap.

Its phone out is no better than the one on my ipod classic. My solo dac+T5 amp is far more impressive. Haven't tested the lo yet though.

Do you mean to say your iPhone's output sounds no better than that of your iPod Classic? What's the solo and T5? Sorry, the meaning wasn't clear to me.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #352 of 1,448
I think he's saying that in his opinion the headphone output of the HP-P1 is no better than that of his iPod Classic -I very much doubt this-, and that the CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo (CLAS) + iBasso T5 headphone amp combo has impressed him much more. He hasn't tested the HP-P1's line output (LO) yet.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #353 of 1,448
Yeah, I have both(solo and the hp-p1). The po on p1 is just a joke even my hm-801 beats it at ease. I wish I was wrong as I really don't wanna carry too many metal boxes for potable use.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #354 of 1,448

Quote:
I started getting these popping, static noises while using the HP-P1.  I just fully charged it overnight like I've always done.  I've tried several headphones, daps, cables, etc.  Only happens through the HP-P1 headphone out.  Any ideas or suggestions?  

The iPhone & iPod Touch have a lot of "digital noise" going on with them because of their wifi/internet connectivity capabilities . I've never had this noise occur when using my Classic with my HP P1.(I was using a 64g Touch that I did get this static through the HP P1 with. I went into the Touch's setting & made sure that anything that could be turned off that was'nt related to music was turned off. & I did'nt get the noise anymore. I'm getting much better playback time using the Classic so my Touch has become my "pocket browser". There is absolutely no comparison between the headphone out of the Classic & the HP P1 headphone out(if you're using the HP P1 dac) unless your source material is the average garbage that passes for most recordings these days or you have serious hearing deficiencies you can hear the inner detail through the "real" dac that the other one puts a "sheen" on.(Which "should" be the reason you bought the HP P1 for in the first place) (You bought it for the amp portion? There is this & the Clas out there . The Clas is using a Wolfson dac. The Wolfson chip really is'nt anything to get that excited about. It's much better than the dac chips used in most portable players, but it's still only a Wolfson chip. It's not a Burr Brown or ESS Sabre or AKM bit.)

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #357 of 1,448
Glad it worked out OK.

I have just received a black 7G Ipod Classic 240gb, and I am sad to report that playback does not pause then you turn the Fostex off (unlike iPhone and iPod Touch). This is a huge bummer, but in the overall scheme of things not a big deal.

Anyone want to confirm if this is the case with your setup?

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #359 of 1,448
Glad it worked out OK.

I have just received a black 7G Ipod Classic 240gb, and I am sad to report that playback does not pause then you turn the Fostex off (unlike iPhone and iPod Touch). This is a huge bummer, but in the overall scheme of things not a big deal.

Anyone want to confirm if this is the case with your setup?

Confirmed. No auto pause for the Classic.

I have a question. HP-P1 is not able to play 24 bit high res music, right or wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back