Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Aug 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #136 of 479
Quote:

I really liked the HP-A3 for my HE-500.
The HP-A8 was on my wish list for some time because the Fostex sound so clean and natural!

yep i really like fostex sound signature too. the dac is simply stunning

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #137 of 479
Quote:

Regular Torx (T10) doesn't have a hole to accomodate the center pin. Hence it must be either Tamper-Resistant Torx, Tamper-Resistant Torx Plus or something else (the large, rectangular top notch on the srew head in netmask254's picture shows that this isn't a regular Tamper-Resistant Torx or Torx Plus screw).

I checked Wera as an example and found Tamper-Proof Torx bits from 7-40 and Tamper-Resistant Torx Plus from 8-45.

I opened the chassis today use a specific type of T10H in Chinese standard. However its specification is also listed below, where A = 2.8mm & B = 2.05mm, as I posted in http://www.head-fi.org/t/656175/wanting-to-import-a-fostex-hp-a8c-from-japan-voltage-concerns/15.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #138 of 479
Anyone tried the hp-a8 with external amp? Im considering getting an amp for my hp-a8 because i feel that its amp section is not as good as the dac

After heard HPA8c + bakoon 7511mk3 with HD800, never plug my hd800 to hpa8 directly again :p. This combo just wow, never imagine hd800 can sound so stunning beautiful, no harsh, no sibiliance... Mid n vocal so dynamic. :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #139 of 479
Quote:
After heard HPA8c + bakoon 7511mk3 with HD800, never plug my hd800 to hpa8 directly again
tongue.gif
. This combo just wow, never imagine hd800 can sound so stunning beautiful, no harsh, no sibiliance... Mid n vocal so dynamic.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for info. will take a look to the bakoon :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #140 of 479
A few more questions to A8 owners:
1 The default power cord is two pins without ground line. I notice my A8 has some static electrity after hours' usage. Did you have similar issue? I'm thinking to upgrade to an 3-pin power cord (a lot of good choices), but the user manual says not doing this, does someone do this before?
2 Does A8's USB interface support an iPad with Camera kit or Android smartphone? I know some DAC supports it well while some others don't (such like Schiit Bifrost).

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #141 of 479
Hi, has anyone tried playing Wav files through the SD card reader? I read the updated manual and it says the new software supports Wav playback. 
How does SD card playback compared to USB input (anyone tried comparing USB input using Amarra on Mac???)
I'm seriously planning on getting a HP-A8. Thanks

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #142 of 479
  Hi, has anyone tried playing Wav files through the SD card reader? I read the updated manual and it says the new software supports Wav playback. 
How does SD card playback compared to USB input (anyone tried comparing USB input using Amarra on Mac???)

the new firmware is still a beta version which fostex wouldnt take responsibility if its damage the hpa8
but wav playback sounds sweet. hope that it will have no problem in the official firmware

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #143 of 479

I think many guys (including myself) have upgraded to latest firmware and play WAV via SD card. It's not quite user friendly (support only English & digital as sound track name), but after get familiar with it, I spent more time on SD play for its convenience (I use XLD to transform tracks to WAV files).

Some other guys have compared the quality (SD > USB > SPDIF). Personally I'm afraid I can't figure out any difference (except the volume is ~5dB lower via USB). I'm using iTune for playback and connect my Macbook Pro with A8 via a Wireworld Startlight USB cable.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #144 of 479

I think many guys (including myself) have upgraded to latest firmware and play WAV via SD card. It's not quite user friendly (support only English & digital as sound track name), but after get familiar with it, I spent more time on SD play for its convenience (I use XLD to transform tracks to WAV files).

Some other guys have compared the quality (SD > USB > SPDIF). Personally I'm afraid I can't figure out any difference (except the volume is ~5dB lower via USB). I'm using iTune for playback and connect my Macbook Pro with A8 via a Wireworld Startlight USB cable.

Thanks!! It's going to be a big problem for my Chinese and Japanese music then... I also use XLD to convert files.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #145 of 479
  Thanks!! It's going to be a big problem for my Chinese and Japanese music then... I also use XLD to convert files.

Well, I also have many Chinese and Japanese songs :)

I usually tranform a whole album (rather than individual song) into one wav, and then category them into different directories. I heard there is a restriction about the total directory number and file number per directory (may be 32 or 20).

Also notice that the track switch time in SD is not fast (1~2 seconds), thus I usually don't put too many files on my 32G SD card, otherwise it will drive me crazy to find the file what I want to play :)

Overall not quite flexible but still acceptible, and really convenient without opening my laptop before fall asleep. I love this functionality so much even I didn't try DSD yet.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #146 of 479

Well, I also have many Chinese and Japanese songs :)

I usually tranform a whole album (rather than individual song) into one wav, and then category them into different directories. I heard there is a restriction about the total directory number and file number per directory (may be 32 or 20).

Also notice that the track switch time in SD is not fast (1~2 seconds), thus I usually don't put too many files on my 32G SD card, otherwise it will drive me crazy to find the file what I want to play :)

Overall not quite flexible but still acceptible, and really convenient without opening my laptop before fall asleep. I love this functionality so much even I didn't try DSD yet.

Yea, I am thinking about the convenience of not connecting through USB. I guess if I do buy it, I'll just get a bunch of relative small SD cards, maybe 8 GB, so that I can switch around, it should also be cheaper that way. Is the fostex picky on the SD cards??? I think I read somewhere about this.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #147 of 479
  Yea, I am thinking about the convenience of not connecting through USB. I guess if I do buy it, I'll just get a bunch of relative small SD cards, maybe 8 GB, so that I can switch around, it should also be cheaper that way. Is the fostex picky on the SD cards??? I think I read somewhere about this.

Good idea, just like CDs :)

I don't think it's picky on SD card, and I'm using Sandisk.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #148 of 479
There is a new firmware out for the HP-A8C.

November 2013

Fostex has released the HP-A8C latest firmware V3.00 that supports DSD (2.8MHz) playback on ASIO 2.1(Windows only) and DoP (DSD over PCM Frames) in addition to the original DSD playback method using a SD card via the SD card slot on the rear panel.  Also this firmware update newly supports playback of WAV and AIFF files via a SD card.

Click here to visit the Technical Support Software Updates page.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #149 of 479
Hello guys.

Looking for DAC  for headphones Audio-technica ATH-AD1000X and Ultrasone PRO 900.

Can anyone tell me what difference between HP-A8C and HP-A8? Same model for different markets?
And they both work with 220V AC power?

And main goal - how it sound with ATH-AD1000x  and PRO 900.
I usually listen rock, jazz, pop and many other...

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #150 of 479
Can anyone tell me what difference between HP-A8C and HP-A8? Same model for different markets?

The HP-A8 has a Japan only warranty and is set to 100v by default, the Japan version is much cheaper than the international one. The HP-A8C is the international version with international warranty and the voltage is set to the region your buying for.

I brought my HP-A8 for about 81,000 Yen ($785 USD) when i was in Japan. A quick look online the HP-A8C is about $1500 USD

And they both work with 220V AC power?

Internally there are only 3 voltage headers, 230V, 120V and 100V. I'm pretty sure you will be OK setting the HP-A8(C) to 230V and using 220V.

After I brought my HP-A8 in Japan the hardest part of this procedure was finding the security torx screwdriver to open the case. once the case is open pull the cable that's plugged in to the 100V header and move it to the 230V one keeping the same cable orientation. i changed the power cord to a earthed version and it's been working fine for the last 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back