Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Dec 17, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #346 of 479
Hello,
is it possible to plug a microphone with 3,5 or 6,3 connector directly into the Fostex HP-A8? I was so close to buying it but now realized that i can't find the input-slot.

Thank you for reply.

Chances are if you can't find one, it isn't there

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #347 of 479
Hello,
is it possible to plug a microphone with 3,5 or 6,3 connector directly into the Fostex HP-A8? I was so close to buying it but now realized that i can't find the input-slot.

Thank you for reply.

I'd consider that a rather unusual feature for a desktop DAC/Amp... no, there is no such input. You'll need a mic preamp for that, then connect that to the A8 via the analog RCA input.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #348 of 479
This was mentioned only briefly earlier in this thread but what are people's experience with using an SD card for playback in terms of sound quality compared to the other input options? I've only used USB connected to a Macbook Pro (Retina 15" mid 2012) using Amarra and although that already sounds really great, playing AIFFs from SD seems even better! I'm hearing more detail, fuller and clearer vocals, more textured bass, and maybe some other points I can't put my finger on that make it a more enjoyable listen (I'm using a TH900). It's also strangely amazing that suddenly this has become a single machine I can connect my headphones to for a wonderful sound. I'm curious what others think! 

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #349 of 479
This was mentioned only briefly earlier in this thread but what are people's experience with using an SD card for playback in terms of sound quality compared to the other input options? I've only used USB connected to a Macbook Pro (Retina 15" mid 2012) using Amarra and although that already sounds really great, playing AIFFs from SD seems even better! I'm hearing more detail, fuller and clearer vocals, more textured bass, and maybe some other points I can't put my finger on that make it a more enjoyable listen (I'm using a TH900). It's also strangely amazing that suddenly this has become a single machine I can connect my headphones to for a wonderful sound. I'm curious what others think! 

I guess I should try someday, I too have only used usb till this point, also interested in others opinions on this. What about lossless on an sd card as my library is all 320 Apple lossless.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #350 of 479

I guess I should try someday, I too have only used usb till this point, also interested in others opinions on this. What about lossless on an sd card as my library is all 256 Apple lossless.

Unfortunately the current version only supports WAV and AIFF (and DSF) for SD card input. It would be nice though, fingers crossed for a future release!

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #351 of 479

I tried the SD playback feature with wav files with my TH900s and I experienced zero improvement over the USB connection.
On top of that you lose the flexibility that Flac provides,,,,,

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #352 of 479
I hear a clear difference between the SD and USB (though I was using a printer cable) which was comparably thin. This difference might be smaller if the USB cable was of better quality. So I ended up using my HiFace2 which sounded pretty good especially compared to the printer cable. I can also here a distinctive difference between all three players Amarra, Pure Music and Audirivana. Non of them sounded as good as the SD. The best I could describe in short is the SD This was listening through my HD800's. I don't own the Fostex TH900 but I would like to think for that kind of money you should be able to tell a difference.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #353 of 479
Is there anyone aware a newer version of this DAC might appear? Local stores cut the price to 799 USD

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #354 of 479
Is there anyone aware a newer version of this DAC might appear? Local stores cut the price to 799 USD

Fantastic price, buy it. I wish I paid that. Having said that after testing hugo and a8 with th900, I totally get the a8 pairing. It pushes some of the mids and adds a little clarity to the highs. A warmer amp like the hugo also sounds great but doesn't do much to those mids,imo. I do enjoy listening to both, for different reasons.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #355 of 479

Rather steep discount, well worth it even if there might be a successor (which at some point will appear, but I've not heard any rumors so far).

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #356 of 479
Hello,

Thank you for reply.

while not answering your question I think the lynx Hilo can take a mix since it has an analog to digital converter and digital to analog in on box. Twice the price though. Throwing that out there.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #358 of 479

Well it states he's in Hong Kong. I haven't seen that steep of a discount on this side of the pond.

They do seem cheaper in the far East. I just bought one on auction at jauce.com for 57000Yen (plus other fees). Found out about jauce on another thread- and about changing voltages here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656175/wanting-to-import-a-fostex-hp-a8c-from-japan-voltage-concerns

It's taking an age to process the darn thing though :frowning2:

If I was in the USA I would grab this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Fostex-HP-A8-32bit-DAC-Headphone-Amplifie-Amp-from-Japan-/141546756203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f4d8186b
Shipping from Japan/China to me is way way cheaper than from the USA.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #359 of 479
Originally Posted by adiebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I was in the USA I would grab this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Fostex-HP-A8-32bit-DAC-Headphone-Amplifie-Amp-from-Japan-/141546756203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f4d8186b
Shipping from Japan/China to me is way way cheaper than from the USA.

That's a much better price than I was able to find but shipping from Japan adds another $95. Plus it has to clear Customs when it enters the United States which will delay the shipping process. Some items remain in Customs for long periods of time while others skate right through. There's really no way to tell how long the process will take. The other bummer about ordering from another country is added Customs and USPS fees. Sometimes you get your package with no added fees. Other times they hit you up for Customs Inspection fees and USPS fees when the package is delivered. Again, no way to tell if you'll luck out or not so might as well be prepared to cough up a little more $$ (have checkbook ready).

Trust me, I know all about it as I've bought several guitars from Japan. One came very quickly, like 3 days it was here with no fees. Another came in about 10 days but again no fees. One I bought took weeks to clear and then when it was delivered I owed about $70 in Customs and USPS fees.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #360 of 479
By the way, I forgot to mention I pulled the trigger on the Fostex HP-A8. Bought it from Amazon, yesterday.

I got it for $866.50 w/free two day shipping with my Prime membership. Should be here Friday. It was the best price I could find and it was not from one of those third part sellers. "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com"

About 10 minutes after I placed my order I thought to myself lets see if there's any reviews from other buyers. When I clicked "My Orders" and then clicked on the link to the HP-A8, I was shocked! Within like minutes of placing my order the price shot up to $1,404.35. That's over $500 compared to what I paid.

Talk about wild price swings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back