Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #181 of 479
A_Man_Eating_Duck - you can save in dac default inputs permanently.

menu - ">" - in/vol mem - "О" - ">" - input+volume - "О" - menu

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #182 of 479
I know about that setting, mine is set to input.

Problem is that I'm always switching between USB and Optical 1. If i could disable all the other inputs that i don't use it would make it quicker to switch between the 2 I use.

I have USB for Music only and I use the Optical out on my motherboard in to the HP-A8 for everything else.

It's a little bit quicker by changing input sel mode from increment to direct select.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #183 of 479
OK i understand.
It useful thing, maybe fostex release this feature in next firmware update.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #184 of 479
I know about that setting, mine is set to input.

Problem is that I'm always switching between USB and Optical 1. If i could disable all the other inputs that i don't use it would make it quicker to switch between the 2 I use.

I have USB for Music only and I use the Optical out on my motherboard in to the HP-A8 for everything else.

It's a little bit quicker by changing input sel mode from increment to direct select.

I have the exact same issue as you and would really appreciate the ability to disable inputs.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #185 of 479
I suppose the more people that request it, the higher the chance of getting the feature.

Drop them an email on support@kotori.fostex.jp. EDIT already got a reply, see below.

This is what i have emailed.

Hi,

I'm using a Fostex HP-A8 (Firmware v3.01) and would like to request the ability to manually hide inputs in the HP-A8 menu.

I'm using 2 inputs on my HP-A8, USB and Optical 1. To switch between these inputs I need to turn the selector knob left 4 notches or right 5 notches. Being able to manually hide the RCA, SD, COX, OPT 2, AES/EBU inputs would greatly speed up changing between the 2 inputs I use.

A new HP-A8 menu option like below would help a lot.

Hide inputs

--Reset
----Show all inputs
--USB
----Hide input? <--> Show input?
--RCA
--SD
--COX
--OPT 1
--OPT 2
--AES/EBU

Thanks,

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #186 of 479
well just picked up the hpa8 and th900. maybe 50 hours in, the thing just gets better and better. More burn in necessary. only use usb, didnt bother updating firmware, dont use sd card, imac interface. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #187 of 479
I got a reply

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your email.
We fully understood the input enable/disable function that you asked for.
However, due to the limitation of the hardware, it is extremely difficult to implement the function on HP-A8.
Instead, we have added a new menu called "INPUT SEL MODE" since V3.00 firmware onwards.
There are two choices in this setting.
One is the INCREMENT and the other DIRECT.
INCREMENT is the default setting and is the same as before.
Every time you rotate the INPUT SEL knob, HP-A8 changes various settings internally so that a signal fed to a selected input terminal can be approprioately received.
As you noticed, the drawback is that it takes time to access to a desired input.
DIRECT is a new way of selecting the input.
Since HP-A8 does not change the internal settings until the INPUT SEL knob is pressed, you can access to a desired input swiftly.
After you select the desired by rotating the INPUT SEL knob and then press the INPUT SEL knob, HP-A8 changes the internal setting.
Could you please try to use the "DIRECT" INPUT SEL MODE?

Thank you and best regards,

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #188 of 479
Have the hpa8 the firmware update is only pertinent if you use sd slot? Correct.?

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #190 of 479
the 2.13 is an sd card update so is 3.0 beta as i understand.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #192 of 479
I got a reply

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your email.
We fully understood the input enable/disable function that you asked for.
However, due to the limitation of the hardware, it is extremely difficult to implement the function on HP-A8.
Instead, we have added a new menu called "INPUT SEL MODE" since V3.00 firmware onwards.
There are two choices in this setting.
One is the INCREMENT and the other DIRECT.
INCREMENT is the default setting and is the same as before.
Every time you rotate the INPUT SEL knob, HP-A8 changes various settings internally so that a signal fed to a selected input terminal can be approprioately received.
As you noticed, the drawback is that it takes time to access to a desired input.
DIRECT is a new way of selecting the input.
Since HP-A8 does not change the internal settings until the INPUT SEL knob is pressed, you can access to a desired input swiftly.
After you select the desired by rotating the INPUT SEL knob and then press the INPUT SEL knob, HP-A8 changes the internal setting.
Could you please try to use the "DIRECT" INPUT SEL MODE?

Thank you and best regards,

Thanks Duck for sharing your correspondance. Although no fortunate answer for us, it's nice of them to get back quickly with a quite lengthy answer. I've been using the Direct functionality since it was implemented and while no complete solution it at least prevents me from going over the SD select which was an annoying extra sec. I often listen to music (USB) while playing on a console (OPT1) and there are situations where I need to switch input quickly. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #193 of 479
Really thinking about this unit, I like the looks of it and it has a nice deal of versatility (SD card, optional upsampling). Can anyone compare it to a Burson Conductor, as far as an all-in-one unit is concerned? Is it worth getting primarily as a DAC/card reader, with the intention to use an external headphone amp (I have a V200, Schiit Lyr and Cary Nighthawk it would be feeding, all have different sound sigs...My main headphones are the HD800 and Mad Dogs, I plan on getting a planar later on and probably a T1). It would be considered "warm and 3D" from what I am reading, so would it not really be considered neutral?

It doesn't have balanced outputs, but that seems to be the only real strike against it.  Not a major concern of mine.

I am also considering the Yulong D8 and the Woo WDS-1, but I am more drawn to the feature set of the A8 (I do prefer the look of the WDS-1, tbh).

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #194 of 479
For my HP-A8, I use its remote controller frequently, however after several months usage, it becomes very unresponsitve and need to press hardly on the button (I'm sure it's not the battery issue), does any other guy encounter similar problem?

Another question is that, have some body tried using a camera kit on iPad to input audio via its USB? Not sure whether it's supported.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #195 of 479
  For my HP-A8, I use its remote controller frequently, however after several months usage, it becomes very unresponsitve and need to press hardly on the button (I'm sure it's not the battery issue), does any other guy encounter similar problem?

Happened to me too, but I replaced the battery in the remote and it worked perfectly again. Are you sure it's not that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back