Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #316 of 401
If I am connecting my HP-A4BL to my audio source with a optical cable, do I need to update the firmware? That is assuming the version currently on the device is not up to date to begin with.

Thanks,
john
Can't be sure if you need to update the firmware if you hook it up with an optical cable although I would assume it isn't required. I've purchased mine new last April from Bic Camera Japan and it does not have the latest firmware out of the box.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #317 of 401
Be careful when you do update, I managed to slip the micro sd card between the bottom of case and sd slot and it just slipped in. I had to open case to get it out

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #318 of 401
Thanks for the feedback folks. Initially thought the seller cancelled my order. But I received my HP-A4BL on Wednesday. I am using it with my new TH 610's.

A couple of items.

1. So I take it that updating the firmware is a good idea, regardless of connection type (while be careful to insert properly).

2. I have not downloaded any Fostex drivers, assuming that optical negates the need and that the drivers are for USB only (right?)

3. There are several driver types. ASIO is quite loud, but gets interference when opening Google - very odd. WASAPI (Exclusive) seems to provide the same level of audio quality without the interference.

4. Current settings in Music Bee:
a. Output - WASAPI (Exclusive)
b. Sound Device - S/PDIF Pass-through Device (2-ASUS XONAR Essence STX)
- I am using a optical cable connected to the SPDIF on the STX card.

5. Balanced cables ordered today. What can I expect in sound signature compared to SE?

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
john

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #319 of 401
As with firmware updates in most devices (cameras included), it is always wise to double check the procedure from their website so as to avoid possible damage, or at worst - bricking the unit. Be sure to use the recommended SD card type etc. When my dealer attempted to update mine,(to ensure compatibility for my Mac), he realized after having difficulty getting acknowledgement of successful update, that the unit already had the latest update. (just in case you have the same result)
B.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #320 of 401
As with firmware updates in most devices (cameras included), it is always wise to double check the procedure from their website so as to avoid possible damage, or at worst - bricking the unit. Be sure to use the recommended SD card type etc. When my dealer attempted to update mine,(to ensure compatibility for my Mac), he realized after having difficulty getting acknowledgement of successful update, that the unit already had the latest update. (just in case you have the same result)
B.

Thanks for the advice. I did research before purchasing so I am familiar, in theory, with the update process. Fostex has a multi-page pdf on the process, which I am sure often does not always go as smoothly as new owners would hope.

I am currently trying to learn some of the more technical aspects of getting the most out of the unit. As with most things in this hobby, some things seem more like a religion then science. But I will continue to read and try to optimize the units capabilities.

Thanks again,
john

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #321 of 401
^^^
Sounds like you have a handle on it. All the best in your endeavor. I, for one am extremely happy with this unit's quality of producing an exquisite sound & with it's practical switching options. The build quality & design is outstanding. Let us know of any discoveries as to enhancement you may come across.
B.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #322 of 401
I am looking into the HP-A4BL as a balanced option to go with my HP-V1. Apologies if this has already been covered, but does anyone have a sense of how the HP-A4BL compares to the Chord Mojo of the IFI iDSD Micro? For that matter, has anyone paired it withr the HP-V1? Thanks!

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #323 of 401
For fun tried MUSES8920 opamp. Less lower bass, bumped midbass, mids have less body, highs are slightly highlighted. Defalut OPA2134 remains the best, balanced fullbodied sound. 1.5 years after purchase still love this DAC :L3000:

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #325 of 401
схема XLR 4 pin ENG.jpg
Hello, guys, I have a question about the balanced output of this Fostex. I will need to re-terminate my Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000X with a XLR 4 pin plug. There are 4 cores in the stock cable and it doesn't look and feel bad.
Is the pinout like on this pic? And the view is like from the front panel (I mean, I'll have to solder the wires exactly like on the diagram, it is not a mirror image, right?)

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #326 of 401
Hello, guys, I have a question about the balanced output of this Fostex. I will need to re-terminate my Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000X with a XLR 4 pin plug. There are 4 cores in the stock cable and it doesn't look and feel bad.
Is the pinout like on this pic? And the view is like from the front panel (I mean, I'll have to solder the wires exactly like on the diagram, it is not a mirror image, right?)

This should help. I used the info to make my 4-pin extension and re-terminate my Sennheiser cable to fit the Fostex
https://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Sennheiser_HD

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #328 of 401
I was thinking of getting the HP-A4BL for my pair of meze 99's and m1060c's. I also want to get balance cables that end in 4 pin xlr for both so i can use the xlr output on this amp/dac.so, finally my questions: does the amp part have enough to power the m1060c's? I know planar headphones can be harder to power. Also, does the balance output effect the sound? And if anyone owns these headphones and this unit, do you think they pair well with it and in balanced? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back