Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
May 11, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #348 of 401
Hey guys, thinking of getting one, does it heat up much? I want to stick it under the desk with some double sticky tape, and wondering if it would stay in place. Cheers!
... why?

Buy a JDS Labs Atom or EL Amp II for less and get a better product for less...

Or even a Schiit Hersey

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #349 of 401
This Fostex has only one DAC chip, but a balanced amplification part, is that correct?
If so, that seems a bit strange to me, a balanced DAC/amp should have two DACs and two amps for true balance. What Gives balanced output in this case? Only higher power?

You don't need two DACs. The amplifier is a separate thing from the DAC.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #350 of 401
it drives lcd-3 just fine, so it should drive hd650 easily. it's a very good amp, IMO. very good sound, little warmish but I like warm.

The LCD-3 and HD 650 are different kinds of headphones. The LCD-3 needs current, the Sennheisers need voltage.

Anyone tried this amp with the Hifiman Sundara? I'm looking to upgrade my home setup and currently deciding if I should go HP-A4 + Sennheiser HD650 or Hifiman Sundara.

The specs look to me that they will not drive the 650s well. I would recommend a tube OTL amp or a strong solid state amp for the Sennheisers.

I'm considering this DAC but I will not use the headamp, I'll plug it into a separate amplifier.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #351 of 401
The LCD-3 and HD 650 are different kinds of headphones. The LCD-3 needs current, the Sennheisers need voltage.

The specs look to me that they will not drive the 650s well. I would recommend a tube OTL amp or a strong solid state amp for the Sennheisers.

I'm considering this DAC but I will not use the headamp, I'll plug it into a separate amplifier.

Why? Topping E30 and or Schiit Modius will both serve as far better dacs. This product wasn't competitive the year it came out and is imo even worse now. I'd maybe pay $100 for it second hand, beyound that it's too costly for how poorly it performs and sounds

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #352 of 401
I had this unit when it came out. It's nicely built and I appreciate that it's made in Japan, but it was underwhelming in terms of performance. I imagine most contemporary mid or even low-tier DAPs likely have more sophisticated dac chips than the Fostex.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #353 of 401
I had this unit when it came out. It's nicely built and I appreciate that it's made in Japan, but it was underwhelming in terms of performance. I imagine most contemporary mid or even low-tier DAPs likely have more sophisticated dac chips than the Fostex.

But is it the DAC you don't like or the amp? Splitting hairs between chip dacs is really not very important. Any of them have performance better than anybody can hear. What's important is what happens in the analog section.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #354 of 401
But is it the DAC you don't like or the amp? Splitting hairs between chip dacs is really not very important. Any of them have performance better than anybody can hear. What's important is what happens in the analog section.
As far as I can recall - and it's some time ago - the amp portion is seriously underpowered. I think the sound quality of the DAC itself is fine, a Burr Brown if I remember. Of the Fostex units in this generation, the HP-V1 tube amp was and is excellent. Personally I would not use the dac/amp combo myself, and I'm a fan of Fostex.

Edit: it has a maximum output of 300mw, so it would have very limited capability even when used as a line out.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #355 of 401
P. S., out of interest - are you affiliated with Head-Fi as a mod or is the link as your website a gesture of support?

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #356 of 401
As far as I can recall - and it's some time ago - the amp portion is seriously underpowered. I think the sound quality of the DAC itself is fine, a Burr Brown if I remember. Of the Fostex units in this generation, the HP-V1 tube amp was and is excellent. Personally I would not use the dac/amp combo myself, and I'm a fan of Fostex.

Edit: it has a maximum output of 300mw, so it would have very limited capability even when used as a line out.

Thanks, I was not planning to use the amp section. But if it doesn't run 2V line out that would definitely be a problem. I'll see if i can find specs anywhere.

updated, looks ok based on this https://fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-A4BL.shtml#content-3-tab-tab

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #357 of 401
P. S., out of interest - are you affiliated with Head-Fi as a mod or is the link as your website a gesture of support?

I'm just a normal member here if that is even possible :D

It's a link to a pic of my desktop setup in the headfi thread.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #359 of 401

Thanks, I found it. Looks fine to be used as a DAC only. I'm looking for a desktop DAC for up to 500 euros that does DSD. Not sure what the options are so I was considering this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back