Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #106 of 4,764
After some patient waiting (nothing to do with Matthew, I ordered the cables before Matthew himself had received stock of it), I finally got my hands on my new IEM cable for my Shure SE846 and LOD cable for my Walkman F series to RSA Shadow.  These are both the new hybrid cable in 3D braid.  The build quality is superb, and I can't say enough about Matthew's customer service.  The shipping was quick, considering the product came from Poland.  Matthew was always quick to respond to my questions, and very helpful in his answers.  As soon as I opened them up, I did about 3-4 hours of A-B testing with the stock Shure cable. I wanted to do my damndest to make sure I wasn't experiencing a placebo effect. I am sure there is a difference between cables despite what others say. Now,  that being said,  it wasn't a night and day difference. What I experience with the hybrid cables is a bit wider soundstage, mids that sounds more detailed,  and smoother/better blended at the same time, and highs that have a bit better presentation,  and no loss of the wonderful bass these produce.  I will say there was no discernible change in bass with the cable switch,  but I will never go back to the stock cable. As a bonus,  I find this cable much more comfortable than the stock one.  Now on to the pics :) (sorry for cellphone pics, I don't have a better camera)

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #108 of 4,764
I have got one of Matthew's great cable  to run my SD3 balanced. His cable are very neatly made and reasonably priced but sadly  I found it  far too stiff and thick  for IEMs. I hope he will come up soon with a lighter and more flexible option. 
The new Hybrid seems to have the same issue as the copper. 
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #109 of 4,764
I actually find the stiffness to be perfectly fine with my CIEMs. I prefer a little stiffer than the softer ones. I think it really comes down to preference.

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #110 of 4,764
I actually find the stiffness to be perfectly fine with my CIEMs. I prefer a little stiffer than the softer ones. I think it really comes down to preference.

Actually a reliable source Matthew tells me that he is now using a lighter and more flexible gauge 24AWG vs 26AWG for his new hybrid.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #111 of 4,764
Actually a reliable source Matthew tells me that he is now using a lighter and more flexible gauge 24AWG vs 26AWG for his new hybrid.

Yes, the hybrid wire is thinner than the copper wire he uses.  I have no problems with my hybrid wire as far as stiffness.  I actually find it to be more comfortable than my stock IEM cable.

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #112 of 4,764
Yes, the hybrid wire is thinner than the copper wire he uses.  I have no problems with my hybrid wire as far as stiffness.  I actually find it to be more comfortable than my stock IEM cable.

I was actually responding to someone else's post in which he said the hybrid was the similar issue as the copper, which as you said and Matthew confirmed it is thinner and more flexible.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #114 of 4,764
Good  to know, thanks. Now, I wish I had waited for the hybrid.

I have his copper cable and find it quite durable and ok when it comes to flexibility.
And I use it daily. Have ordered the hybrid.

Let's face it his price and quality are hard to beat.

He's replaced whiplash IMO

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #116 of 4,764
Hello, my first attempt at placing a comment, hope I have the right area to give my first impressions of Forza Cables ( I dont use computers much ) as most people have commented quality is first rate, seems slight improvement in sound quality, but so far only two albums played into Hifiman 400, using Lindermann D860 sacd into Woo WA6 with Sophia princess 274b, so look forward to bedding in, had cables made so can go balanced in future ( noir cable) any idea's for future amp? Looked at Firestone "Bobby " , Audio gd 6 , don't want amp with dac ( have two separate ones) if you are thinking about new cable for your headphones my experience with Matthew at Forza has been first rate . Many thanks Glynn

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #118 of 4,764
Hello guys,
I'm a recent proud owner of a FAW Noir cable for my LCD-2. After reading your comments on this forum and some email exchanges with Matthew I was convinced that this would be the best option to replace the stock ones that got broken some weeks back (my son tripped over them).

As soon as they arrive I was amazed by the build quality and attention to details that Matthew put into it, simply amazing!

About the sound: they are now with almost 150h burning and the sound, deep and articulated bass are just perfect. This upgrade turned what is already an amazing headphones into something that I consider unbeatable at the same price (at least to my hears).

Thanks so much to Matthew for providing so much insight and excellent communication through out the process.

Now some pictures.

Regards.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #119 of 4,764
  I have got one of Matthew's great cable  to run my SD3 balanced. His cable are very neatly made and reasonably priced but sadly  I found it  far too stiff and thick  for IEMs. I hope he will come up soon with a lighter and more flexible option.  The new Hybrid seems to have the same issue as the copper. 
frown.gif

For 24 AWG, I actually think FAW cables are perfectly fine in terms of stiffness. If you go even softer with LLD-PE insulation, you risk the dielectric properties not being as good, and in that case, you might as well stick with the thin PVC material like most stock cables... "better" PVC cables usually have pretty thick insulation --- think of the Furutech and Oyaide cables. In that case, they also need to be Kevlar-reinforced to keep torsion-related stresses to a minimum.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #120 of 4,764
Sorry, but I just cannot believe anybody would find the copper cable more comfortable and enjoyable to use:

By the way, Matthew is a real gentleman and offered to replace the cable with its new thinner 24AWG model, which I kindly accepted. 
wink.gif

PS: personally, I remain unconvinced cable make any difference to the sound. I only got this new cable because I needed a balanced one terminated with a TRRS jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back