Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,881 of 4,769
So Matt, which cable would you prefer with the Susvaras, assuming you've heard them with the Hybrid? I have used DIY OCC silver cables with my hp amps and have liked their wide-open highs, so I doubt the Hybrid would be too bright.

Or, maybe I should wait for the new cable you're working on?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,882 of 4,769
Your prices are absolutely logic reflecting price to performance ratio.

Thanks. My business idea was to have them like so. I wanted to have constant order flow rather than living from one order to another. This of course means that I have a ton of work, but it's a fair price to pay for peace of mind.

I could even call them a bargain!

Thanks again.

So Matt, which cable would you prefer with the Susvaras, assuming you've heard them with the Hybrid? I have used DIY OCC silver cables with my hp amps and have liked their wide-open highs, so I doubt the Hybrid would be too bright.

Personally I would go with hybrid. With decent amp and DAC, hybrids with Susvaras don't sound brittle or itchy on top.

Or, maybe I should wait for the new cable you're working on?

I wouldn't. Although the key thing is now sorted, it will take a while to have the same product from one to another. Last 5% is always the hardest and longest.

Besides, who said anything about a cable :) ?

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 7, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,883 of 4,769
Hi!
I just wanted to share my impressions of the Noir HPC MK2 Cable for my Denon 9200. I have listened to this cable for a few days now while switching between it and the stock silver plated copper cable and can clearly say, that it made the headphone less "peaky" in the trebles + more full-bodied in its lows and therfore more musical sounding (to my taste). Build quality is top notch, it is much more flexible and pleasent feeling then the stock cable + it looks just awesome. Highly recommended!
Nice short review! I bought a Denon AH-D9200 a few days ago and I am very happy with it. I will use it with the balanced input of my A&K Kann Cube and will by a FAW balanced cable. I have a Noir Hybrid HPC at home but the 3.5mm plugs (for Focal Clear) don‘t fit perfect into the Denon, so I press by hand to get a short sound impression. The sound is incredible clear, but without getting harsh. The bass is deep and hard hitting. Vocals are nice and natural sounding (but not exceptional organic). Time was too short to get a final picture (I was afraid about my plugs/jacks on the headphone), but I am uncertain about the right choice: Noir HPC MK2 or Noir Hybrid HPC? Probably the MK2 could be the better fit for Denon. I have to sleep about it, maybe I ask Matthew for a recommendation. I think I can‘t go wrong with both...

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #2,885 of 4,769
I'm surprised that most cable makers don't supply measurements of their products, but maybe they're afraid to. The DIY silver cable that I'm using now (and that has the wrong connectors for the Susvaras) measures 11pF/foot = 34pF/metre, and it was designed to have as low capacitance as possible. Of course capacitance is just one consideration, maybe not the most important, in IC or headphone cable design, and some people might be put off trying a cable with more capacitance than another one just for that reason, which might be unfair to the cable. But I've heard another version of my silver cable, the only difference being in the dieletric (teflon vs cotton) and sure enough the cotton one, with lower capacitance, sounded better. And over the years I've heard enough more or less expensive ICs that came with good reviews but no specs that I didn't think were much good. And that's why I'd like to know the specs.

Jun 9, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #2,886 of 4,769
Jon773 said : I knew what to expect from my new cable but it was really great when my son tried his and immediately heard the improvement in sound quality.

I have to say that that's very cool. I trust that you share your audio setup with your son? Or does he have his own?

Ah my son has his own setup and i have now added one of your Forza AudioWorks IEM cables to his collection; again with very positive results for him.

He uses a Dragonfly Cobalt into either his Focal Elegia for desktop use or into Shure SE425 for portable use. Both sound good and even better with the Forza cables. He loves the improved fit over the ears of the IEM cable.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,887 of 4,769
Hi, Matt: I had no idea you were on head-fi.org! :L3000:

I've ordered like six cables from you. I wish I kept all of them instead of including them when I sold the headphones...ouch. Your cables (I've only used the NOIR Hybrid cables) are very very good and are an incredible value for the money in comparison to other cables. My only quibble is that I wish you were closer so I could get your cables faster!

Can't wait to get the NOIR Hybrid cable for my LCD-XCs next week!

Keep up the great work!

Joon
:)

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,888 of 4,769
Matt: does the Hifiman Susvara cable (with the 2.5mm micro jack for L/R) fit the Abyss Diana headphone? Do you know?

Thank you!

Joon

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,889 of 4,769
I'm surprised that most cable makers don't supply measurements of their products, but maybe they're afraid to. The DIY silver cable that I'm using now (and that has the wrong connectors for the Susvaras) measures 11pF/foot = 34pF/metre, and it was designed to have as low capacitance as possible. Of course capacitance is just one consideration, maybe not the most important, in IC or headphone cable design, and some people might be put off trying a cable with more capacitance than another one just for that reason, which might be unfair to the cable. But I've heard another version of my silver cable, the only difference being in the dieletric (teflon vs cotton) and sure enough the cotton one, with lower capacitance, sounded better. And over the years I've heard enough more or less expensive ICs that came with good reviews but no specs that I didn't think were much good. And that's why I'd like to know the specs.

Most cable manufacturers don't provide measurements as they don't have them. My cable R&D includes conductor measurements provided by my supplier, but this all by itself tells pretty much nothing to most people. As you correctly listed, capacitance and dielectric material matter, but so does outer sleeving, geometry, conductive materials used and how they're used, and several other factors I won't list here :)

If one knows what he's doing, results between several different cables based on the same conductor can audibly vary.

Matt: does the Hifiman Susvara cable (with the 2.5mm micro jack for L/R) fit the Abyss Diana headphone? Do you know?

Thank you!

Joon

Would have to check this. I'll get back to you!

Probably the MK2 could be the better fit for Denon.

Based on my memory of these cans, that's possible.

Hi, Matt: I had no idea you were on head-fi.org! :L3000:

I've ordered like six cables from you. I wish I kept all of them instead of including them when I sold the headphones...ouch. Your cables (I've only used the NOIR Hybrid cables) are very very good and are an incredible value for the money in comparison to other cables. My only quibble is that I wish you were closer so I could get your cables faster!

Can't wait to get the NOIR Hybrid cable for my LCD-XCs next week!

Keep up the great work!

Joon

Thanks Joon!

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #2,891 of 4,769
Looking for an opinion on the "Claire Hybrid Extender 8 braid". I'm currently using a Null Audio Ethos for my Senn 660s in 4.4mm as well as a PW Audio Xerxes in 4.4mm.

I'm trying to solve for two different cans so I thought i'd just buy the 3m extender in 4.4 to 4-pin XLR. This way I can swap between both headphones on the fly.

Anyone think that i'll lose some of the qualities of this type of setup?

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #2,892 of 4,769
Of course you may :)

Thanks!

Anyone think that i'll lose some of the qualities of this type of setup?

Technically every extender takes something away. But whether you'd be able to actually hear that is a separate thing. Personally I use extenders if I need to and I haven't noticed any drastic changes, so I wouldn't worry too much :)

But it's fair to say that if I make a pigtail, I make sure that internally it's the same thing as a cable extended.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #2,893 of 4,769
Need a bit of help regarding which FAW cable to choose for my Sennheiser HD600's:gs1000smile:

I'm currently using a Copper Series HPC MK2 and fancy a change, even though I really like the cable. Should I go for a Hybrid Series HPC or Claire HPC MK2?
Anyone using either who can advise what the sound signature is for each?

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #2,894 of 4,769
I just got a Claire HPC Mk2, and while I can't compare it to others in the line, I can say it has lifted the slight veil I was hearing with the $20 cable I got from Amazon for my HE-560 after the stock cable broke. The Claire is a beautifully made cable, I got the transparent black and it's so nice. I was expecting something more bulky but this cable is super flexible and microphonics are non-existant. The service was very fast, I ordered on the 16th and it arrived on the 23rd. Also, I don't know if I'm supposed to mention this, but when I made an account on their website, I was shown (even) better pricing for all but the TOTL!

I like it so much I plan to order an IEM cable as well. Keep up the great work!

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,895 of 4,769
Need a bit of help regarding which FAW cable to choose for my Sennheiser HD600's:gs1000smile:

I'm currently using a Copper Series HPC MK2 and fancy a change, even though I really like the cable. Should I go for a Hybrid Series HPC or Claire HPC MK2?
Anyone using either who can advise what the sound signature is for each?

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!

Personally I would go with a hybrid for these Senns. It's a bit airier and open than copper, so naturally it goes better with cans such as HD 600.

I just got a Claire HPC Mk2, and while I can't compare it to others in the line, I can say it has lifted the slight veil I was hearing with the $20 cable I got from Amazon for my HE-560 after the stock cable broke. The Claire is a beautifully made cable, I got the transparent black and it's so nice. I was expecting something more bulky but this cable is super flexible and microphonics are non-existant. The service was very fast, I ordered on the 16th and it arrived on the 23rd. Also, I don't know if I'm supposed to mention this, but when I made an account on their website, I was shown (even) better pricing for all but the TOTL!

I like it so much I plan to order an IEM cable as well. Keep up the great work!

Thanks a lot! It took a while to beat microphonics, but we did it and I'm happy that you noticed this among other things:)

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back