Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,577 of 4,760
Last month I ordered a 2M balanced Noir HCP MK2 cable + Noir "pigtail," allowing the cable to be used with single-ended amps. Below are my impressions.

The "Bad"
It took 6 weeks for the cable to arrive, from date of order to delivery at the Post Office. That included 10 days shipping time from Poland to NY state. Overall, it took somewhat longer than the typical 4-5 wk turnaround I've seen in this string. I got impatient near the end of the 6 weeks.

The "Good"
Everything else.
Everything about this cable delights me. Mine looks exactly the like the pictures below. It's very handsome--also very pliable, smooth-to-the-touch, exhibiting zero microphonics, and is much lighter in weight than you would expect. It's actually a pleasure to touch and handle this cable, more than any other I've used:

Noir-1.jpg

Noir-2.jpg

I burned the cable in 100+ hrs, as Matt recommended, and just finished listening to it on my ZMF Ori headphones and Violectric V281 amp/preamp--both of which I'm very familiar with. Until today, I had done all balanced listening with a 4ft. ZMF stock balanced cable loaned me by a Head-Fi bud.

The sound: This cable doesn't have a "sound signature" that jumps out at you. It's not a sonic filter, a corrector of wrongs elsewhere in the hardware chain. But still, everything I love about the Ori & the V281 (two endgame products, in their own ways) simply sounded even better on the Forza cable. The entire frequency range is persuasively, clearly represented. For example, the bass (the Ori & V281 are capable of state-of-the-art bass) is perhaps the best I've ever heard through headphones. Everything I listened to, all familiar/beloved music selections, sounded even better than usual. This sound of this cable is as pretty as its looks.

The cable's sound is so competent & self-effacing that it's not easy to zero in on factors that make the sound good. I would call out 2 things:

1. Space/spaciousness: The Ori is certainly capable of sounding rich, nuanced, and spacious, and the V281 has some of the best soundstaging (side-to-side being very wide; depth quite good for SS; a pitch-black background w/lots of space/separation between notes). Well, all of that got better w/the Forza...subtly but unmistakably better. This cable has excellent sonic "technicalities," but the effect is the opposite of technical: it sounds relaxing, musical, focused, transparent, and above all, organic/natural. As usually happens with the best audio gear, I quickly stopped listening to the cable itself, trying to hear this or that...and just relaxed and heard music.

2. Amp interaction: The V281 has what I consider spectacular, singular dynamics. It has "jump factor," to the point where it sometimes startled me on the ZMF stock balanced cable. This is a very good thing 99% of the time, but now & then it was a bit too assertive--the amp called attention to itself. However, w/the Forza cable, somehow all the "jump factor" of the V281 is present & accounted for, yet never intrudes or distracts. The cable has real synergy w/this blockbuster SS amp, conveying all its power & subtlety, but also somehow smoothing that big, dynamic sound. You may think I'm describing a subtractive thing (removing energy), but it's not that all. Instead, the V281 sounds a little more coherent & "together" through the Forza. No matter what words I use to describe this--it's a very good thing. The Forza actually improves this already remarkably high-achieving amp.

I have more listening to do: classical music (a huge sonic test for any component) on the V281; then try the Forza with a very different but wonderful amp, the Liquid Carbon.

I also must say it's a pleasure to deal with Matt. English probably is not his 1st language, yet his communications are extremely clear, responsive, professional. The website is a pleasure to use. He obviously knows his business inside & out, and is ethical & focused on the customer. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend F,A.W to others. In fact, I'll soon buy another cable (probably a different type of cable, for my Fidelio X2).

May 3, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #1,579 of 4,760
Right, before I totally forget to do it, huge thanks to Matt for all his assistance in getting my new Claire HPC MK2 to me in a staggering TWO weeks (to UK), and that's with me pestering him all the time for changes as well. Great guy to deal with, my third Forza cable and I'll be back again. So pleased at how quickly it arrived, now I can sit and listen to my Z1R's at their best!!

May 3, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #1,580 of 4,760
I've been waiting more than a month since ordering now to receive my cable (sony dap > rca) to UK, i was under the impression it was going to be faster as it said item was in stock on their website. Also communication has been very slow and without tracking number.. not the best first experience but reading here that there's been a flu problem I'm going to try to be a little more patient

May 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,581 of 4,760
I've been waiting more than a month since ordering now to receive my cable (sony dap > rca) to UK, i was under the impression it was going to be faster as it said item was in stock on their website. Also communication has been very slow and without tracking number.. not the best first experience but reading here that there's been a flu problem I'm going to try to be a little more patient

"In stock" for them just means they have all the parts to make the cable, you still have to wait for them to get to making it. Shipping through Polish post is really cheap, but not the best service, so that's out of Forza's hands. You have to select one of the other carriers at a much higher cost to get decent tracking. Still, you should get a number that will tell you when the package has left Poland.

It is a slow process since they make a fantastic, custom, hand crafted product, but for the price especially it's well worth the wait. You should have your order within 2 weeks. If you get really frustrated just keep emailling Mat and he'll take care of you.

May 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,582 of 4,760
been a week since i ordered my cable, no updates so far, not in hurry but sharing my experience. Do they update my order when they are working on it etc?

May 7, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,584 of 4,760
It's the most I've spent on any cable, by a long way. The Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 is a beautifully made cable and surprisingly light in weight...lighter than it might seem from the photos. It has enhanced the sound on my set-up... the system (see sig) is now spot-on to my ears. A great match for my HD-650... the notorious 'veil' of the Senns has pretty much gone. Everything is so clear, smooth, weighty and articulate. Instruments sound like I expect them to. Well done Forza and the other manufacturers of my system (Schiit, Sonore, Uptone & Sennheiser).

May 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #1,587 of 4,760
Hi, has anyone experienced a situation like this or similar where your cable with the wrong output? What policies does the company have for these cases?

Are you saying that the cable you received has a different output connector (ie, connecting to the amp) than what you asked for?

May 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,588 of 4,760
Are you saying that the cable you received has a different output connector (ie, connecting to the amp) than what you asked for?
Yes, my English is very bad
I just contacted Matt and they offered me good support.
Order a Noir Hybrid HPC cable and an adapter, both of excellent quality and the sound is much better than the stock cable.
My order took 1 month and 6 days to ship to Chile.
The only bad thing is that they take some time to answer the emails.

May 12, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,589 of 4,760
I just received my Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC to run my ZMF Ori balanced from an ifi iCan Pro. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days but clearly the cable is beautifully and solidly constructed. Equally impressive is the sound quality improvement from the stock Ori cable. In part this may reflect the balanced output, but above and beyond that I am impressed with the clarity, detail retrieval and frequency extension, The Ori is bit warm to start with, and the Forza cable showcases it's bass well but w/o bloat or bleed. Midrange and vocals are quite natural and there is a bit more treble extension then with stock cable, but free of sibilance or stridency. Overall a very coherent and musical presentation. I am looking forward to more listening and perhaps further improvements with burn-in if one believes in such things (cable / brain / both.). In any case, much appreciation to Mateuzs for delivering a terrific cable.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,590 of 4,760
Last month I ordered a 2M balanced Noir HCP MK2 cable + Noir "pigtail," allowing the cable to be used with single-ended amps. Below are my impressions.

The "Bad"
It took 6 weeks for the cable to arrive, from date of order to delivery at the Post Office. That included 10 days shipping time from Poland to NY state. Overall, it took somewhat longer than the typical 4-5 wk turnaround I've seen in this string. I got impatient near the end of the 6 weeks.

The "Good"
Everything else.
Everything about this cable delights me. Mine looks exactly the like the pictures below. It's very handsome--also very pliable, smooth-to-the-touch, exhibiting zero microphonics, and is much lighter in weight than you would expect. It's actually a pleasure to touch and handle this cable, more than any other I've used:

I burned the cable in 100+ hrs, as Matt recommended, and just finished listening to it on my ZMF Ori headphones and Violectric V281 amp/preamp--both of which I'm very familiar with. Until today, I had done all balanced listening with a 4ft. ZMF stock balanced cable loaned me by a Head-Fi bud.

The sound: This cable doesn't have a "sound signature" that jumps out at you. It's not a sonic filter, a corrector of wrongs elsewhere in the hardware chain. But still, everything I love about the Ori & the V281 (two endgame products, in their own ways) simply sounded even better on the Forza cable. The entire frequency range is persuasively, clearly represented. For example, the bass (the Ori & V281 are capable of state-of-the-art bass) is perhaps the best I've ever heard through headphones. Everything I listened to, all familiar/beloved music selections, sounded even better than usual. This sound of this cable is as pretty as its looks.

The cable's sound is so competent & self-effacing that it's not easy to zero in on factors that make the sound good. I would call out 2 things:

1. Space/spaciousness: The Ori is certainly capable of sounding rich, nuanced, and spacious, and the V281 has some of the best soundstaging (side-to-side being very wide; depth quite good for SS; a pitch-black background w/lots of space/separation between notes). Well, all of that got better w/the Forza...subtly but unmistakably better. This cable has excellent sonic "technicalities," but the effect is the opposite of technical: it sounds relaxing, musical, focused, transparent, and above all, organic/natural. As usually happens with the best audio gear, I quickly stopped listening to the cable itself, trying to hear this or that...and just relaxed and heard music.

2. Amp interaction: The V281 has what I consider spectacular, singular dynamics. It has "jump factor," to the point where it sometimes startled me on the ZMF stock balanced cable. This is a very good thing 99% of the time, but now & then it was a bit too assertive--the amp called attention to itself. However, w/the Forza cable, somehow all the "jump factor" of the V281 is present & accounted for, yet never intrudes or distracts. The cable has real synergy w/this blockbuster SS amp, conveying all its power & subtlety, but also somehow smoothing that big, dynamic sound. You may think I'm describing a subtractive thing (removing energy), but it's not that all. Instead, the V281 sounds a little more coherent & "together" through the Forza. No matter what words I use to describe this--it's a very good thing. The Forza actually improves this already remarkably high-achieving amp.

I have more listening to do: classical music (a huge sonic test for any component) on the V281; then try the Forza with a very different but wonderful amp, the Liquid Carbon.

I also must say it's a pleasure to deal with Matt. English probably is not his 1st language, yet his communications are extremely clear, responsive, professional. The website is a pleasure to use. He obviously knows his business inside & out, and is ethical & focused on the customer. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend F,A.W to others. In fact, I'll soon buy another cable (probably a different type of cable, for my Fidelio X2).

I agree with everything Pharmaboy said. I recently received my Noir copper balanced cable with pigtail. I don't have 100 hours on it yet, but it sounds great with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and HD600. I too was surprised at how light and flexible this cable is given that it looks a touch intimidating in the photos on the Forza site. Matt was always responsive to my emails asking about the status of my order. Now I don't recall how long it took and I don't care, since the cable is so very good. blmcycle

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back