Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #256 of 3,854
Quote:
I've decided not to quote all the posts since it would make a very long one, but let's just say I agree with pretty much everything that's been said.

The FIA has to choose between "technology" or driver pressure.

My argument about the engineers not being able to think out of the box was more about hypocrisy than anything.  We say that we restrict technology to level the sport? Newey Vettel won 3 titles in a row. 'nuff said. 

It's not about the drivers anymore.

I don't get why they don't overtake, as their lives are not at risk. Schumi hit a wall 200+ KMh and he ended up with a broken leg...

The best compromise for me would be 80's cars with nowadays security. That would bring skills back in the game.

I'm sure Michael would have rather not hit that wall:)

The problem with overtaking is very simple. It's pure cost benefit analysis. If there is  a risk of losing position you do not do it as you will never get those spots back.

You need to look at F1 in the way the teams do. It is not about individual races it is about where the team stands at the end of the season and how much revenue is shared out to them. There is a very real co dependance issue between the teams and F1 management and that is dictating what goes on in each individual race.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #257 of 3,854
Quote:
Personally I find the majority of an F1 race to be utterly tedious, apart from the start, pit stops and the occasional overtaking.

If you want to watch breathtaking action, wheel to wheel racing, collisions aplenty and a truly competitive series, then the BTCC Dunlop MSA touring car championship -  http://www.btcc.net/html/home.php - is unbeatable. 

Cheers,
Andy.

I just took a look at BTCC 2012 Final Race 1 Brands Hatch GP
That was amazing!  Wheel to wheel, plenty of overtaking and competition.

Thats what racing should be like.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #258 of 3,854
I was at Snetterton circuit a few years ago watching a BTCC race and you could stand on a raised bank about 50 feet from the track. It was close enough to see the drivers changing gear and turning the steering wheel, plus the smell of burnt fuel and rubber was intoxicating. 

Cheers,
Andy.

Quote:
I just took a look at BTCC 2012 Final Race 1 Brands Hatch GP
That was amazing!  Wheel to wheel, plenty of overtaking and competition.

Thats what racing should be like.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #259 of 3,854
F1 is so contrived.....
But it has a name, and most armchair enthusiasts think that's what racing should be like.

If they got themselves to a speedway meet, they would see real racing.

I can't get over the yanks with their 500 mile races.
They have a short part at the start where they race in earnest.
Then there is a whole section if about 75% where they just run around the track.
Then there's the sprint to the finish.
Why not just cut the boring centre piece out and let them go for broke for 1 fuel tank's worth of racing?

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #260 of 3,854
Quote:
F1 is so contrived.....
But it has a name, and most armchair enthusiasts think that's what racing should be like.

Then there is a whole section if about 75% where they just run around the track.
Why not just cut the boring centre piece out and let them go for broke for 1 fuel tank's worth of racing?

Speedway? Boring......one left turn, after another, after another......yawn.

One fuel tank?  Not enough time for all the commercials to run on the broadcast.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #261 of 3,854
Did you know a speedway bike accelerate faster 0-100 then a F1 car :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #262 of 3,854
Quote:
F1 is so contrived.....

If by speedway you mean ovals, its a bit boring.

So far I've found BTCC has the most action.
LeMans isn't bad, but its only once a year.
I'll be following FIA GT Series as well.

F1 has a name, and a technological prowess that justifies that reputation. But its one of the two elements, and the other element, racing itself, is starting to fade. I'll probably watch the races held at interesting tracks (monaco, spa, silverstone, hungaroring, nurburgring, monza, singapore, suzuka).

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #263 of 3,854
Quote:

If by speedway you mean ovals, its a bit boring.

So far I've found BTCC has the most action.
LeMans isn't bad, but its only once a year.
I'll be following FIA GT Series as well.

F1 has a name, and a technological prowess that justifies that reputation. But its one of the two elements, and the other element, racing itself, is starting to fade. I'll probably watch the races held at interesting tracks (monaco, spa, silverstone, hungaroring, nurburgring, monza, singapore, suzuka).

OR you can record them all and just skip through the ones that are boring at the end of the season.

No mention of Rally racing here. I for one miss the World Rally events being telecast here.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #264 of 3,854
Quote:
OR you can record them all and just skip through the ones that are boring at the end of the season.

No mention of Rally racing here. I for one miss the World Rally events being telecast here.

Yes, but it'd be pretty boring to watch them after everyone is done telling you what happened and who won wouldn't it? 

Yeah, I really wish Rally events were broadcast more so it'd be easier to access.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #265 of 3,854
Quote:
Yes, but it'd be pretty boring to watch them after everyone is done telling you what happened and who won wouldn't it? 

Yeah, I really wish Rally events were broadcast more so it'd be easier to access.

Recording is a good idea but some of them are free to view.

Rallying too needs more coverage I agree. Its pretty hard in terms of the driver/navigator effort, but because the cars don't race together (its mostly timing), it can lose the thrill after a while. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #266 of 3,854
Personally I have watched quite a bit of racing, yet I'm always coming back for F1. To me it has at least been more you follow the F1 and the teams, more interesting it has been. I also love the coverage and options to watch the races here. Been enjoying the sport more the past years than I have for last +15 years.

Quote:
Did you know a speedway bike accelerate faster 0-100 then a F1 car :)

A lot of things accelerate faster than F1 (probably some production cars). F1 cars are not really designed to go fast from zero to 100... there's only one point at the race when its really needed. Acceleration out of the corner is a another thing.

WRC is unfortunately in a bad state at the moment. Some iconic teams like Subaru, Peugeot left quite close to each other and Loeb started his domination that has eliminated much of the crowd in Norther Europe. French would be a big market for it to flourish, but the general audience in France haven't really seemed to take the sport.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #267 of 3,854
Quote:

A lot of things accelerate faster than F1 (probably some production cars). F1 cars are not really designed to go fast from zero to 100... there's only one point at the race when its really needed. Acceleration out of the corner is a another thing.

WRC is unfortunately in a bad state at the moment. Some iconic teams like Subaru, Peugeot left quite close to each other and Loeb started his domination that has eliminated much of the crowd in Norther Europe. French would be a big market for it to flourish, but the general audience in France haven't really seemed to take the sport.

From 0 to 100 Kmh probably but not from 0 to 200 and even 300. F1 cars are ridiculously fast. They also brake harder than anything on the face of earth...

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #268 of 3,854
Quote:customcoco
From 0 to 100 Kmh probably but not from 0 to 200 and even 300. F1 cars are ridiculously fast. They also brake harder than anything on the face of earth...

They would also handle better than anything on wheels. More so if they were allowed full ground effect treatment.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #269 of 3,854
I tried to watch the Shanghai race, but as soon as Massa and Alonso overtook Hamilton with DRS I skipped to the final 2 laps. Not really enjoying the sport anymore. I guess MotoGP / Moto2 / Moto3 and FIA GT1 have spoiled me.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #270 of 3,854
Quote:
I tried to watch the Shanghai race, but as soon as Massa and Alonso overtook Hamilton with DRS I skipped to the final 2 laps. Not really enjoying the sport anymore. I guess MotoGP / Moto2 / Moto3 and FIA GT1 have spoiled me.

That's the only thing that DRS will bring. fake fights, one way overtaking where drivers cannot fight back.

I'm gonna take a look at FIA GT1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back