Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Sep 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,246 of 3,854
"Teams will not be allowed to inform their drivers about fuel consumption. Those teams that don’t run the LCD screens on their steering wheels (Red Bull, Williams, Lotus) will be at a clear disadvantage. It’s either they switch to a different design or they will have to leave their drivers with less information."

"This is what will NOT be allowed from now on:

- Info about tyres/brake conditions, fuel consumption, engine maps, ERS mode, fuel mix, diff settings

- Formation lap instructions to prepare race start - burnouts, gearbox sync, bite point, brake/tyre temps"

WHAT

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,249 of 3,854
Yes, I do too (in case my previous post was ambiguous). My only concern is that we viewers will also get less information about is going on throughout the race - Crofty and Brundle have their work cut out for them now. However, I think it allows greater influence from driver talent, strategic decisions/gambles, and on track fisticuffs - which are all good in my opinion.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #1,250 of 3,854
Had this rule been operative in Canada this year, Mercedes wouldn’t have been allowed to inform Rosberg and Hamilton that their brakes were failing. Is it safe to withhold this information from the drivers? What would have happened if both Nico and Lewis didn’t realise their brakes were failing?

Good point there..

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,251 of 3,854
On the other hand, it is usually the drivers who are informing the pitwall of the condition of their brakes (all the engineers can see is the brake temp ... I think... a little light on the dash that indicates hot brakes would accomplish that). Plus it didn't stop Lewis's brakes from failing unexpectedly in Germany qualy.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,252 of 3,854
Plus it didn't stop Lewis's brakes from failing unexpectedly in Germany qualy.

Sure, but just like in most qualy sessions, the brakes were modded to warm up faster.

I, for one, think that' BS.

I'm really getting tired about the FIA regulating every aspect of the sport.

Also, just think about what it would yield in terms of team orders. How will Rosberg and Lewis know when they can fight ?

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #1,254 of 3,854
F1 drivers raced for years without all the telemetry telling them what to do. As for team orders - I think most would love to see the radio ban preventing them. Sadly, as I understand it, the radio can still be used for team orders.

I know a lot of people moan about FIA interference. But the truth is that engineering has surpassed the sport and the tracks' abilities to accommodate it. Without regulation we would at point where almost anyone could drive cars around consistently at these speeds. Never before has F1 been so consistent, with so few break downs, had such a small spread in the field, and been so bereft of driver error.

The driver is supposed to do more than put in playstation lap times. Personally I think F1 is moving in the right direction and I'm really at a loss as to why so many people want to find fault with this year's evolution of the sport.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,255 of 3,854
There is always a dominant team more or less. Red Bull would be dominating team still if it wasn´t for Renault failing :)

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,256 of 3,854
  There is always a dominant team more or less. Red Bull would be dominating team still if it wasn´t for Renault failing :)

They might be the best, but I still believe Mercedes built a good enough Chassis to compete this year even if the engines were equal. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I believe Red Bull about how far behind they are in power anymore either.

As for the team radio, isn't this what a lot of people were requesting all along? Less of engineers telling drivers what to do, more of drivers having to think for themselves? I'm more or less in favor of it myself, although we'll see how much chaos it causes in Singapore. What I'm not really in favor of is jerking the regulations around mid-season like the FIA has been doing of late. FRIC was for no particularly pressing reason, and neither is this. The show is already the best it's been in years, guys - it doesn't need all this help!

At least we won't hear anyone asking their engineer how to drive anymore. That had to go. The switches and crap, less so.

PS: Did anyone watch the Formula E race today? What an exciting last few laps, and that last corner...
basshead.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,258 of 3,854
  I  personally would like to see DRS gone, May be bring back refueling?

This may sound weird, but I would prefer to rid F1 of DRS & ERS, and bring back refueling & multiple tyre choices. Now, I guess I must take my leave as 2007 called and it wants its regulations back..

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,259 of 3,854

They might be the best, but I still believe Mercedes built a good enough Chassis to compete this year even if the engines were equal. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I believe Red Bull about how far behind they are in power anymore either.

As for the team radio, isn't this what a lot of people were requesting all along? Less of engineers telling drivers what to do, more of drivers having to think for themselves? I'm more or less in favor of it myself, although we'll see how much chaos it causes in Singapore. What I'm not really in favor of is jerking the regulations around mid-season like the FIA has been doing of late. FRIC was for no particularly pressing reason, and neither is this. The show is already the best it's been in years, guys - it doesn't need all this help!

At least we won't hear anyone asking their engineer how to drive anymore. That had to go. The switches and crap, less so.

PS: Did anyone watch the Formula E race today? What an exciting last few laps, and that last corner...
basshead.gif

I just saw the incident. Nicholas Prost is very upset about Nick Heidfelds driving....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/11094128/Formula-E-opens-with-spectacular-crash-involving-Nick-Heidfeld-and-Nicolas-Prost-as-Lucas-di-Grassi-claims-win.html

"I would not have expected for him to have attempted a suicide move at the end of the race. My victory was stolen. It is really hard."

What an ego.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,260 of 3,854
  I just saw the incident. Nicholas Prost is very upset about Nick Heidfelds driving....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/11094128/Formula-E-opens-with-spectacular-crash-involving-Nick-Heidfeld-and-Nicolas-Prost-as-Lucas-di-Grassi-claims-win.html

"I would not have expected for him to have attempted a suicide move at the end of the race. My victory was stolen. It is really hard."

What an ego.

Especially since the footage clearly shows that Prost's the one to blame... The apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back