Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Aug 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,187 of 3,854
  Well the examples I made was as much pay driver as Maldonado so there really isn´t much of a difference. The difference is that they impressed more obviously so could later get out of the pay driver niche. There is a reason why Maldonado despite his money is not in a Ferrari already :)

Unfair comparison, this year he might as well be in the Ferrari.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,188 of 3,854
Fascinating qualifying, as one expects from a wet qualy in Spa!

Hamilton just can't seem to get a clean lap in anymore these days.
Vettel back ahead of Ricciardo, but this doesn't seem to be a strong track for the Aussie.
Williams not as close as I was hoping, but probably different in the dry.
Raikkonen maybe a bit closer to Alonso?
A bit surprised by both Force Indias out, but as a McLaren fan no argument here :D

... And down at the back: Lotterer in front of Ericsson on his debut by a full second. That's pretty brutal for Marcus. Bianchi stomping all over the backmarkers, as expected.

Really looking forward to an exciting race tomorrow!

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,189 of 3,854
It surprised me that

Hamilton can't beat Rosberg in qualies. I always thought he's the faster qualifier, but it seems that Rosberg was more composed and handles unpredictable conditions better..

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,190 of 3,854
I think basically

Rosberg doesn't quite have the same top-end performance as Hamilton, but he doesn't make nearly as many mistakes either. He consistently delivers just a little bit below Hamilton's best.

Personally, I always thought Rosberg could run Hamilton close in qualy (I did think it would go more Hamilton's way I'll admit); qualifying is really his main strength. I didn't think he was a match for Lewis in the races, and I still don't.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,191 of 3,854
You can choose how hard you push. You can risk more and be faster or be more strategic and make sure you keep the tires performing good etc. It´s as much about driving style as actually being faster. I do endurance racing and well there to finish you first have to finish and do less misstakes then your opponents. Still need to go fast of course.

Hamilton is pushing to much and is to often over his skill level during qualification. Hasn´t payed off  as of late.
Could see the same in McLaren where he would go off and do stupid misstakes every other race and you wonder how on earth he could beat Alonso that first year lol.

Nice showing of Lotterer. His 450 laps at Spa this year did pay off. There was complaints about Caterham getting Marcus out with all of the top teams so he was overtaken constantly. Anyway will be interesting to see in race will be harder to make excuses there :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #1,192 of 3,854
Great race today, guys!

IMO it is only a matter of time before the two driver collides when you have both of your driver in the same team fighting for the title.  
Finally Kimi finished ahead of Alonso, and what a race that final 5 laps of the race was!

Ricciardo seem to always be the right guy at the right time in the right place every time Mercedes having a problem.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,193 of 3,854
Riccardio is just driving faster then Vettel it´s that easy :)

Nice aggressive start from Vettel but then not used to see that kind of misstakes from him.

I guess I should feel sorry for Hamilton but I think they are even steven now. Nico was to blame for this yes but been pushed wide earlier in the season where they should have collided and Hamilton would get drive throughs.

I don´t get Hamilton though he wanted to quit the race after 20 laps. You are still fighting for a WC for gods sake. 

Also a shame Caterham can´t build F1 cars. Would been interesting to see what Lotterer could do. Of course Marussia had to pass the last lap too despite being unlucky with traffic.
Fantastic race with crazy fun racing to the end. Vettel should have gotten a drive through penalty for disrespecting the track :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,194 of 3,854
gs1000.gif
What a race!! This is Formula One, *****!
gs1000.gif

Ricciardo is just dumping Vettel like a punk on every lap. Unbelievable pace advantage in the same car, and it's really not looking good for Vettel's reputation. For his sake, Ricciardo MUST win at least one world title in the future :D

GO RAIKKONEN! Beat Alonso fair and square from behind, 5-second penalty or not. Those laps he put in for making the undercut work were blistering! Two fastest laps of the race in a row. Could this (well, Hungary actually) be the turning point at Ferrari? Fingers crossed!

Rosberg's fault. 100%.

Brilliant and aggressive defending from Magnussen. My driver of the day, I think; holding any driver off for that long is impressive, but when it's Fernando Alonso that's got to be worth an extra bit.

So is this now a 1-horse race, or a 3-horse race in earnest?
eek.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,197 of 3,854
Woe! That is the first time I have ever seen anyone in F1 almost boo'd off the podium. No matter what happens this year I'm afraid Rosberg is going to suffer the taint of being a "dirty" driver.

Ricciardo and Botas, just where did these guys come from?

Gawd but I love Spa!

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,198 of 3,854
  Woe! That is the first time I have ever seen anyone in F1 almost boo'd off the podium. No matter what happens this year I'm afraid Rosberg is going to suffer the taint of being a "dirty" driver.

Ricciardo and Botas, just where did these guys come from?

Gawd but I love Spa!

Wasn´t you hear last year with Vettel :)

Ricciardo and Bottas was there from the beginning :p

I don´t think anybody really care those boos should be gone quite fast. It´s not like the real ayrton senna/prost stuff or every time Schumi deliberately crashed to win the WC. Are we going to be super upset about this small accident then we are just looking for drama :) 

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,199 of 3,854
  Wasn´t you hear last year with Vettel :)

Ricciardo and Bottas was there from the beginning :p

I don´t think anybody really care those boos should be gone quite fast. It´s not like the real ayrton senna/prost stuff or every time Schumi deliberately crashed to win the WC. Are we going to be super upset about this small accident then we are just looking for drama :) 

No were not upset about the "small" accident (although Lauda sure seems to be). We are starting to think differently when we stack that on top of other "innocent" stunts like qualifying at Monaco. The old saying "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" Would seem to apply here.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,200 of 3,854
I agree oqvist, those boos were weak.  They don't mean anything.  Drama is not needed.

Why do they force me to listen to what Lauda says?  Sure, I care, a little, but not really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back