Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,156 of 3,854
They got kimi to tame Alonso, so you never know.

So is redbull focusing on Ricardo?

Dunno but don´t think so. But Red Bull is not Ferrari. Ferrari is special. Vettel and Riccardio has been quite even this season. Vettel having a bit more bad luck. Of course everybody expect Vettel to be stronger/ everyone hates the guy so people try to paint it so he drives super awful lol

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,157 of 3,854
  Luca wants Vettel he has said it before, also Honda might want him.

Luca? The same Imbecile that paid a driver 18 meg to go away only to hire him back? Hopefully the "restructure" at the Scud was aimed at eliminating input like that from operational racing.

How does Honda get a say in driver selection?

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,159 of 3,854
  because Honda is coming with  €100 million per year in financial backing.

Yes, and given their track (pun) record in F1, I somehow don't see the mighty Ron cowing down to driver selection.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,160 of 3,854
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2165195-have-mclaren-finally-stopped-their-downward-spiral-through-formula-1

It has been difficult to root for McLaren for the past couple of years indeed... I really hope Honda can pull it off and bring McLaren back to its grace (and hopefully the striking Red/White livery).

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,161 of 3,854
Yup

I was a McLaren supporter for twenty plus years. When Lewis moved to Merc I used it as an excuse to finally throw in the towel on Woking - it had become so very painful to be a Macca fan.

That said, I would love to see McLaren Honda emerge as a serious contender (especially as a Red/White car!). Be a real shame though if it means Jenson get's the boot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,162 of 3,854
I thought that McLaren would do well this year considering how well both drivers did in the first race in Australia. From what I remember, after that race, the McLaren team were in the lead with team points. But onwards from that race, they have had very little luck indeed.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,163 of 3,854
Some of that might be down to their relationship with their engine supplier; I do remember that going into this year Mercedes said they were going to 'treat McLaren as a rival', whatever that means. Might have something to do with why their development seems worse, if they're getting either inferior upgrades or at the least less technical help in making their upgrades work.

Also really hoping for a McLaren/Honda resurgence in 2015. Last time they won a double was... Longer ago than I care to think about
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,165 of 3,854
Looking forwards to things getting going again this weekend in Spa. Summer break seems so long these days.

Unfortunately, the last half of the season also always goes by so much more quickly than the first half.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,167 of 3,854
Williams to certainly spank Red Bull and Ferrari, says I. Challenge Merc? No, the middle sector is too aerodynamic for that, unless they qualify ahead. I could see a Williams (Bottas) keeping a Merc (Rosberg) behind, but I don't see them getting past if they don't start that way or get ahead on strategy. Force India will probably have their hands full with McLaren, as this is usually one of Button's better tracks and McLaren seem to have been catching up to them of late.

The part I'm really looking forward to is seeing how the backmarker replacements do. If Rossi is instantly closer to Bianchi than Chilton was, would that put Chilton's seat under serious threat in the long term? Rossi clearly has some good backing of his own, or he would never have gotten this opportunity. I can't see Lotterer looking for a full-time drive in F1, but I'll also be interested to see how he compares to Ericson (and to Kobayashi by extension). If he beats Ericson fresh out of sportscars and without having even tested for F1 in years that really ought to be the nail in Marcus' career. Not that it will be, if the money keeps flowing, but there have to be better talents out there with money as well. Maybe Caterham have realized that their pay drivers aren't giving them the $20M they could be getting if they finish higher up the order with a better driver, and that Spa is probably their best remaining opportunity. Arguably in hindsight they should have done it for Monaco - that was where the real chance was, but too late now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back