Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Jan 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #737 of 3,854

Because they had a chance to bring in Kevin Magnussen and according to McLaren that was Perez's only "fault" that Kevin Magnussen exists! Also they wanted to keep a British driver (maybe, that's my take) and apparently or as I understand the test drives Magnussen perfomed for McLaren in the fall was speed wise very impressive as well as his feedback to the team.

I can relate to why they would want to match Magnussen with Button and see how this pans out, can they work together, learn from each other and just as important can the drivers help improving the cars based on their feedback, they are the ones driving the cars and not the technicians but overall it is all teamwork and the right sponsors of course :)

I consider Kevin Magnussen to be extremely talented. His performance in the Formula 3.5 series this year was quite impressive.  I would not be surprised if he within the next couple of years or so would manage to capture the formula one crown if his car is on par with his talent, on the other hand he could just be an intermediate for one season until they can bring back whoever McLaren really wants... 

Quoting myself from a few months back..about the Danish rookie Kevin Magnussen...

First test results...still early days.. but...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/f1-jerez-testing-kevin-magnussen-3094922#.UuxpAfldW4E

Fastest test time of them all. Although I will not read too much into this... The facts speaks.. He is fast and just a rookie in a McLaren... I know that his father was probably an even more talented driver but had some personal issues to deal with but his son has way more integrity which will make him very successful on the F1 circuit..Wait and see..

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #742 of 3,854
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #743 of 3,854
I just found this tread so thought I'd say hi. Big F1 fan.
Go McLaren!

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #744 of 3,854
Watching testing in Bahrain now - Mercedes and McLaren definitely seem to have a league to themselves for the time being. Things still not looking too good for Red Bull...

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #745 of 3,854
Watching testing in Bahrain now - Mercedes and McLaren definitely seem to have a league to themselves for the time being. Things still not looking too good for Red Bull...

woohoo! Go McLaren! Maybe some redemption for them this season?

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #747 of 3,854
Red Bull will pull something out of their bag of tricks I'm sure..... unfortunately.

Maybe not - there was a time when people would have thought it pretty unlikely that Williams would make a car incapable of challenging for the World Championship, and now we're all so excited because we hope this year's Williams might get a podium or two. Sometimes it happens gradually, and sometimes it happens suddenly.

Personally I see Red Bull this year as being more like McLaren in 2009 - behind at the start because they focused too much on last year before the big regulations shake up, then catching up as the season progresses. I don't think they can win, though.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #748 of 3,854
Final days of testing here, sounds a lot like fuel consumption might be a determining factor on who will be challenging for wins. Of course they would need to not break down first, the Renault engined cars are STILL having issues grinding out laps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back