forced to make a change in listening habits
Jun 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

auradud3

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone, its been a while since i have been here due to a few medical issues, sad to say these issues have also altered my listening posture, to begin, i run an headroom ultra desktop amp, with the grado rs1i, complimented with the 15' big red headphone extension, and i use the kimber 15' usb cable from my comp to the desk top amp, all of these will soon be on this forum for sale as a package. because of my ailments i can no longer sit for extended periods of time, i bought through these forums a set of westone iem's to send to my son in iraq i loved them so much i almost did not send them, now he listens to music in a way he cant describe since he is used to apple bud's, so my plan to continue my headphone obsession is to sell my existing rig, and move to a more portable rig, one that will allow me close to the same level of sound bliss, but enable me to use them in my current condition. so, i m looking for a great set of iem's perhaps the westone 3, or something similar, dual or triple drivers, i have had enough experience with single driver iem's, they just dont have the accuracy as the 2-3 driver iem's, and to be honest, i ma not thrilled with the custom fit variety, i am not at a point to be able to make trips to an audioligist. so, all of you with experience in this matter please chime in and let me know your impressions, i love the grado sound, the speed and accuracy, i now look for the best, most natural, with great low end, i have been reading many reviews, but i always come back here to get the real experts advice. also once i sell my rig, and begin buying the new rig i am considering buying the hifiman's 801 as my media player, for the ease and portability. please let me know your opinions, it has been at least 3 months now without being able to relax and enjoy. thanks in advance for all the input.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 10
First, I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition. Not being able to enjoy a good desktop rig... :frowning2: I hope it is temporary!

If I were you, and I couldn't visit an audiologist to get impressions and go custom, I'd first start out with trying a decent portable rig to see if I actually like it compared to the desktop experience. A Nationite S:Flo2 combined with a Fischer Audio DBA-02 will get you a long way in universal-iem SQ without breaking the bank. If you enjoy that setup you could always switch to an even better IEM (although the DBA-02 is up there with the best of 'em in universal-land) and possibly an amp.

The best and most portable setup would be something like the S:Flo2 + Headstage Arrow 12HE+ JH13/16. The Hifiman801 is way too much of a buggy brick in my opinion. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 10
Sorry to hear about your health problems. :frowning2:

I'm using a Sansa Fuze (8GB with an 8GB micro-SD card) with Ultimate Ears TF10pro. The TF10 is very finicky, and I have only found a few portable sources that interact well with them, the Fuze being one and the 2nd-generation Zune being the other.

The bass may be a little bigger than you are accustomed to, but if you can be physically comfortable with the TF10, I think you would probably enjoy it very much. The Fuze is an excellent portable player: very low noise, wide format compatibility, not bound to clunky software, long battery life, and so on. Plenty powerful to drive the triple-driver TF10 as well.

Are you also considering high-end dynamic IEM's, or just multi-driver balanced armatures?

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm not experienced enough to properly recommend you an alternative to your current rig, but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry to hear from your health problems. Just go ahead and don't let health problems get in the way: go for a portable rig and keep on enjoying music :)

Good luck :)

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 10
My best wishes for your health. I believe since you are accustomed to high-end sound you will find this
thread very useful. Accompanied with a good source (S9, Sflo2 come to mind) and even a good amp (pico slim, rsa protector are considered good from what i know) you will have a very satisfying listening experience. That's all imho of course, I am not even near a level to that kind of sound and equipment.

Edit: amps you say?

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, from my own experience, if I can't use my customs I really enjoy my Yuin OK1s.  Though they skew heavily toward the neutral/analytical side so they're not for everyone.

Many people say you need an amp to drive them so you need to be aware of that potential expense.  I think my RSA Shadow sounds great and it is very tiny.  Though there is one caution I'll point out in one of Vash-GR's suggestions.  The RSA Protector is a balanced amp so you would need balanced phones to use it.

Take care of your health and good luck!  Hopefully you'll be over this soon!

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
First, I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition. Not being able to enjoy a good desktop rig... :frowning2: I hope it is temporary!

If I were you, and I couldn't visit an audiologist to get impressions and go custom, I'd first start out with trying a decent portable rig to see if I actually like it compared to the desktop experience. A Nationite S:Flo2 combined with a Fischer Audio DBA-02 will get you a long way in universal-iem SQ without breaking the bank. If you enjoy that setup you could always switch to an even better IEM (although the DBA-02 is up there with the best of 'em in universal-land) and possibly an amp.

The best and most portable setup would be something like the S:Flo2 + Headstage Arrow 12HE+ JH13/16. The Hifiman801 is way too much of a buggy brick in my opinion. 

+1

I would also consider the Radius DDM's as the best SQ/price dynamic driver phone out atm.  If you go for a Sansa product as a source I personally feel Balanced Armatures are a better match due to their lower power output.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 10
I use a RSA P-51 Mustang which sounds great and is a small amp I use Westone 3 and Shure E500 which work well with the amp. Source wise I use an iPhone 3GS and iPod classic both work well. Best wishes and good luck.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 10
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? The W3s are detailed with a nice bump in the bass to give you a nice visceral feeling with certain music?

A lot of people are saying that THE top universal IEMs out right now are the SM3s.... and they are around 400 right now; amazing phones from what people are saying. I had the UM3Xs and loved them; some of the people who have had the Um3Xs and the SM3s to directly compare say that the SM3s are just better in every area. 

But yea how much are you willing to spend? Do you want an amp? What sound sig? 

And of course we all hope you get better :D

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 10
well my output last fall for my equipment was nearly 3,000, i am guessing i will get a good deal of that back since all my equipment is like everything i own not a scratch, not a sign of imperfection, so i am guessing i will be able to be in the neighborhood of 2-2400 dollars so this is why i ask the question, the equipment i have is wonderful, but because of my changed listening posture, it is hard to sit and listen, it is hard to locate  the cans in just the sweet spot, but i did notice it was so much easier to do more, be more active with the iems for the iem's and the amp-dac i will be spending every penny to get me back to audio nirvana, i miss this so much. so do not be afraid of the higher end iems as suggestions, nor the amp dac, i just want when i cue up a tune to hear every little nuance, after that is what i am looking for as we all are, even in this economy i am  just like the rest of you, i need to hear and feel my music,  one more thing, i truly appreciate the good wishes in my recovery, it just feels good to know that complete strangers have compassion for a complete stranger. it truly is a wonderful world, thanks for the kind people here at headfi. i look forward to all of you helping me to settele into my new life style with my matching or inproving, the new system,

a note on my listening habit 
i run a NAD t 785, wonderful machine, the mains are B&W 802 SERIES 80's, the remaining speakers are the matching B&W DM 604's all the way around so i have a full very refined listening experience even in 2 channel, my can tastes have leaned towards the grado line, but as i said i was blown away with the level of refinement and superb bass in the westone line, so much so that when i saw my life changing i thought as i always do, move on, and maybe in the process, move up, i look forward to all comments and help, thank you from 1 audiophile to another, my musical tastes very every time i sit down, but clarity, uncolored, and realistic deep bass really float my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back