For those who switched from HD600 to HD650 - WHY?
Oct 30, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
The title says it all: For those who switched from HD600 to HD650, what made you do it?

The reason why I ask:

I currently have a HD600 (with HD650 cable) which I like due to its really nice soundstage and resolution but I could use a less neutrality and a bit more warmth/darkness and some more bass presence. I tried a HD650 briefly in a meet a few months back and I liked the rich sound it produced but felt that it was a little veiled. The HD600 I have now feels like it's not veiled at all but quite a bit more "high-strung" than the HD650. Basically I'm looking for a bit warmer and bassier version of the HD600 even at the expense of losing some neutrality and "air". Will the HD650 fit the bill?

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title says it all: For those who switched from HD600 to HD650, what made you do it?

The reason why I ask:

I currently have a HD600 (with HD650 cable) which I like due to its really nice soundstage and resolution but I could use a less neutrality and a bit more warmth/darkness and some more bass presence. I tried a HD650 briefly in a meet a few months back and I liked the rich sound it produced but felt that it was a little veiled. The HD600 I have now feels like it's not veiled at all but quite a bit more "high-strung" than the HD650. Basically I'm looking for a bit warmer and bassier version of the HD600 even at the expense of losing some neutrality and "air". Will the HD650 fit the bill?

I own the HD-650, followed later by the HD-600. Still prefer the former for its smooth and more emotional presentation. Based on what you wrote, I think you will like the HD-650 too (esp. since you already heard it and like it).

Cheers!

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 41
Just amp them well, and that veil is gone...you'll get the less neutrality, warmth and darker presentation you're looking for.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just amp them well, and that veil is gone...you'll get the less neutrality, warmth and darker presentation you're looking for.

That's what I figured. Thanks for pushing me over the edge

Now off to look for a nice pair of used 650s
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 41
IMHO, the 600's sound better than the 650's with the proper amplification and are far more comfortable (less clamping).

Not to mention the significant $$ savings.

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Basically I'm looking for a bit warmer and bassier version of the HD600 even at the expense of losing some neutrality and "air". Will the HD650 fit the bill?

Yes. I started off with the HD-650 a few years back and picked up the HD-600 earlier this year. I love them both and keep going back and forth on which I prefer. But that's how I'd characterize them.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, the 600's sound better than the 650's with the proper amplification and are far more comfortable (less clamping).

Unfortunately that statement means nothing unless you tell us in what way it sounds better, on what music and with what equipment. As for the clamping effect, that totally disappears after a couple of months of use, leaving the 650 as one of the most comfortable phones ever.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 41
If you get a new hD650, then keep the HD600 too -- you will be glad you did, later on.
The HD580/600's are complemetary cans with the HD650, and you can switch back and forth for a slight variety in your sound.

Besides, what Head-Fi'er actually owns only ONE can, anyway?
confused_face_2.gif

gs1000.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get a new hD650, then keep the HD600 too -- you will be glad you did, later on.
The HD580/600's are complemetary cans with the HD650, and you can switch back and forth for a slight variety in your sound.

confused_face_2.gif

gs1000.gif

I agree with silverrain Raffy. I owned the HD600 and sold it and then owned the HD650s and sold it. Now I've come full circle and own both the HD600 and the HD650s. I think owning both would be a good thing and from what you are looking for I think you will enjoy the HD650s. Best of luck to you.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused_face_2.gif

gs1000.gif

Exactly, I find myself switching back and forth between the two all the time. Each time I switch I swear to myself that the cans that I am listening to at the time is better than the other pair.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Basically I'm looking for a bit warmer and bassier version of the HD600 even at the expense of losing some neutrality and "air". Will the HD650 fit the bill?

An original HD650 will fit the bill. The current edition will not.

Oct 31, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

The reason why I ask:

Id suggest a cardas cable with that hd600. It gives it a more rounded sound without taking away anything at either end. A blue dragon or black dragon may give similar or even better results but I have only used the blue on the hd650s. Second to my r10 cary 300 sei combo was a tie for msp's and hd600s with cardas(and cary). To be fair the 650s were not tried with the cary.

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 41
HD600s and Ed 9s for me. I loathe 650s - just so.. syrup.. and nothing. And bad. My opinion, no need for anyone else to point that out etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back