For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 11, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #18,482 of 20,946
Focal Clear OG (Dekoni Sheepskin earpads) << Norne Audio Vygarde HPC << Donald North Audio Sonnet 2:
IMG_7484.jpeg
[Verve: recorded August, 1959; released November, 1959] .... quite the trio !! EDIT: OK, I'll say it: hot damn !!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #18,483 of 20,946
This post brought to you by British Airways in-flight wifi. When you're 30k feet in the air, bored as hell, and simply MUST access Head-Fi...

Still rockin' IEMs for obvious reasons, but I switched over to the 64 Audio A12t (w/ m26 solid plug Apex modules for max isolation). I'm still DJ'n it up with the A&K Kann Alpha.

On deck in the in-flight queue is The Pineapple Thief's album from earlier this year, It Leads To This. It almost felt like TPF released this album as a birthday present for me. Gavin Harrison and Jon Sykes may very well be my favorite rhythm section going these days, aside from my own (😜). Bruce Soord has a certain understated and laid back quality to his vocal delivery that I dig and it amazes me that he never lacks for power while maintaining that presentation. I'll still need to listen to this album many more times to see how it sits with me over time, but I think there's a very strong argument to be made that this may be their best and most complete album. I think the songwriting displayed here is, overall, their best and most cohesive, having taken that next step in refinement and maturity from their previous work. Basically, this is a must listen album IMO and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't end up being one of the elite albums of 2024 for me. 🤘😎

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #18,484 of 20,946
Interesting. Thanks for the rundown, bro! 👍🤘😎
You're welcome. I live in an isolated place and it's cool to have a chance to blab about something i love to talk about outside of other engineers i keep in touch with around the world. This stuff just doesn't crossover here as a topic much. So...thank you for asking. Appreciate it very much.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #18,485 of 20,946
You're welcome. I live in an isolated place and it's cool to have a chance to blab about something i love to talk about outside of other engineers i keep in touch with around the world. This stuff just doesn't crossover here as a topic much. So...thank you for asking. Appreciate it very much.

It was my pleasure. I'm not an engineer, but I was a session drummer/saxophonist before my own band started paying the bills so I am a bit of a studio rat. I love chatting about gear and music related topics. 👍😎

To keep things topical:

I did a little mid-flight switcheroo from the A12ts to my Campfire Supermoons CIEMs because nothing beats a good planar for some prog-metal. Still running off the A&K Kann Alpha though.

Up next in my in-flight queue, is Stellar Circuits' 2023 effort, Sight to Sound. This is one of my favorite recent releases in the prog-metal sub genre. It has everything going for it: quality production, tight/technical musicianship, cohesive album structure, engaging songwriting, etc. Plus, I needed something a bit louder to drown out the lady two rows back who keeps laughing like a freakin' hyena at whatever in-flight movie she's watching. 🤦‍♂️

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #18,486 of 20,946
JRiver MC (PC) >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

pretzellogic.jpg

Pretzel Logic (1974) by Steely Dan - Every couple of months I have a Steely Dan night as a kind of mental reset, otherwise I get side lined into just playing prog-rock all the time. The only downside being the ludicrously high bar this band sets, the song writing, musicianship and recording quality are all off the charts. Right from the start with the intro to Rikki Don't Lose That Number the sound is phenomenal, so detailed without sounding clinical, it's a perfect balance. Considering the SMSL stack is usually wide but quite shallow when it comes to the sound stage, I'm hearing quite a bit of depth with very good imaging and I'm wondering how much of that is due to the recording? The RS-1x are a great choice for Steely Dan music, they really show up the detail well and have nice, punchy (mid) bass, great mids, airy highs and a lovely, natural overall tone. :darthsmile:

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #18,487 of 20,946
Indy rock from Vancouver, IV is a great album on the more relaxed side.
Playing with Hisenior T4 and HIBY R6 Pro 2, the mid focused tonality of T4 is very suiting for this even If it lack some bass to please me 100%. Track constellation is perhaps favorite on the album 🤔

1000028880.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #18,488 of 20,946
Indy rock from Vancouver, IV is a great album on the more relaxed side.
Playing with Hisenior T4 and HIBY R6 Pro 2, the mid focused tonality of T4 is very suiting for this even If it lack some bass to please me 100%. Track constellation is perhaps favorite on the album 🤔

1000028880.jpg

Such a lovely album this. Depending on mood I dig the opener 'mothers of sun ' or the floydish(?) 'defector'. And constellations rock, of course.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #18,489 of 20,946
Tidal >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado SR325x :L3000:

voices.jpg

Voices (2022) by Kalle Wallner - Kalle Wallner is the guitarist and main writer of both RPWL and Blind Ego and this is his first solo outing. It's mostly instrumental and features Marco Minnemann on drums and Yogi Lang (RPWL) on keyboards and it's very, very good. Wallner is a bit like David Gilmour on steroids, he has great tone and leaves enough space in his playing for you to hear everything clearly, he's a bit of a tone monster. I found the album completely by accident: I'm contemplating moving over to Tidal now that they've dropped their prices and Amazon Music drives me nuts with their inability to use exclusive mode properly. So I signed up for a free 30 day trial and have been putting it through it's paces (very impressed so far). I've come across a couple of albums that still use MQA but that's not a problem as my SU9 DAC supports it fully, this one though is a straight forward FLAC. Switched over to the SR325x for even more crunch on the guitars and my ears are grinning shamelessly. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #18,492 of 20,946
Qobuz => Yggy GS2 => V222 => Focal Clear OG (bal). A little Blues for a Wednesday A.M.

1710251446857.png

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #18,493 of 20,946
Fiio R9 -> austrian audio composer

LOREN ALLRED × NOBUO UEMATSU conTIKI - No Promises to Keep / THE FIRST TAKE​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back