For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #18,286 of 20,949
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #18,287 of 20,949
Posted up chillin' on the top of the bluffs near my house in the dark sitting in the back of my truck overlooking the lit up city and the cars. It's one of my favorite views to enjoy while I listen to music. I've got the Shozy Magmas running off my iBasso DX220 which is a VERY good rig for on the go and I got great deals on both second hand. 👍

And what's on the menu for musical entertainment you ask? The next course in this particular queue is a 2003 masterpiece from Muse entitled Absolution. This has to be one of the best albums of the 21st century, IMO. The songwriting, the symphonic/string accompaniment, Matt's vocals, Dominic's work behind the kit... It's all just killer! I would give my left nut to put out an album that's this damn good with this kind of staying power in my lifetime. 🤘😎

1200x1200bf-60-2.jpg

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #18,289 of 20,949
Now reunited with the HD 600, I'm going through some of my favorite acoustic and singer-songwriter albums. These headphones deserve their reputation.

Sennheiser HD 600 < Singxer SA-1 < Mojo 2 < PC (Roon)

220px-This_Is_My_Dinner.jpg

This Is My Dinner (2018), Sun Kil Moon
I can't think of any other musician who so radically and successfully reinvented themselves in their 50s. Mark Kozelek has always been a boundary-pusher, but none of his earlier work could have prepared anyone for the wild left turn that his music would take beginning with his 2014 album, Benji. He's been on a totally inspired and prolific streak ever since, releasing album after album filled with lengthy, diary-like tracks spoken more than sung. Maybe the most impressive thing about this particular album is the track "Linda Blair" in which he "sings" an imitation of a possessed Linda Blair. And somehow the song is still beautiful.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #18,291 of 20,949
P.S. You guys may be older, but I've been blown up and people call me an old soul. Can I be part of the club? 😉😂
'May' be older? 🤣🤣🤣 ...... anyway, you don't have to ask ..... for your music choices, narratives, etc you are in !! ..... so, for those of you in the club, I salute you 🫡 🎸 🎹 🥁 !!

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #18,292 of 20,949
TBH, I prefer the Elex to either version of the Clears though I know plenty of folks on both sides of that particular opinion. Either way, what people say about Focals being some of the most dynamic headphones out there is definitely true. I only tried the 109 Pros briefly, but they sounded like a very good pair of headphones to me so the Clears would give you a different presentation for your music, but it's not like the 109 Pros are bad so you're missing out or anything. Also, keep your eye on the used market. You can find the Elex and both versions of the Clears for pretty reasonable prices in nice shape these days. 👍
Better than "reasonable." Elex is currently going for $399. Unreal. Best deal in headphones at the moment.

Mar 7, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #18,295 of 20,949
Better than "reasonable." Elex is currently going for $399. Unreal. Best deal in headphones at the moment.

I just saw that deal on headphones.com after I posted. That's an incredible value! And for those who want to save a few more bucks, it should drive second hand prices down even more. For people that have been wanting to try the Elex or Focal's sound in general, now is a great time. 👍

Topicality tax:

Switched it up to a pair of Yincrow RW-4000 flathead buds and I'm still running them off the iBasso DX220. I wanted to be able to hear my surroundings a bit better after I heard something crashing around in the brush not too far from where we're parked. 😳👀

On deck in tonight's queue is Flannel Math Animal's 2017 release, We Guarantee an Odd Time. I don't know if the album title is an allusion to their ever-changing, odd time signatures, but I like to think it is because it's so fitting. The guitar work (a combo of intricate finger picking and muted strums) on this album is really interesting. While it's not the most melodic work out there, this music has its own unique kind of beauty that sometimes reaches the edge of incoherence, but somehow manages to keep it together. The way the drums are used to underpin the melody rather than as a strictly rhythmic base to play over is rather unique as well. This album is odd, but in a cool way and it's never dull. 🤘😎

1200x1200bb.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #18,296 of 20,949
'May' be older? 🤣🤣🤣 ...... anyway, you don't have to ask ..... for your music choices, narratives, etc you are in !! ..... so, for those of you in the club, I salute you 🫡 🎸 🎹 🥁 !!

YES!!! I'm in! And to think I didn't even write an acceptance speech because I thought this would never happen. I knew all the random musings in my narrative album descriptions would pay off at some point! 🤪🤣

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #18,297 of 20,949
JRiver MC (PC) >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

sellingenglandbythepound.jpg

Selling England By The Pound (1973) by Genesis - Their fifth album from way back when they were a damned good progressive rock band as opposed to the extremely successful pop band they became after Hackett left. I rank this one up there with Foxtrot and with songs like Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and Firth Of Fifth it's easy to see why. It's funny but I was never a big Genesis fan back in the 70's when they were at their peak, it wasn't until many years later that I began to appreciate the strength and complexity of their songs. I used my usual prog-rock setup for the album, SMSL stack for transparency and details and the RS-1x for maxing out those details and the fact that I love the way they sound. :darthsmile:

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #18,299 of 20,949
Finally came back from travels and fired up Envy. I missed it so much. Synergy with T+A cans is sublime. Listening to this track I've got imidetialy blown away by power, dynamics and control of sound while retaining transparency, clarity and wide stage. IMHO Solitaire are one of the best headphones for any type of music. I wish I had those when I have been listening to AuroraSound HFSA-01 headphone output.

Rockna WLS > Lumin U1 Mini > M-Scaler > TT2 > Envy > T+A Solitaire P-SE

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.38.02.png

The vocals of Eddie Vadder reminds me some of their earlier records going back to Seattle area grunge revolution in late 80's - earliy 90's.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #18,300 of 20,949
2021 Lcd-x. Checking over masters for the day. The Lcd-x are so forward that if anything is a little out of place, its REALLY out of place on these for my ears. Obviously I can't share something not released, sooo...here are some shots of my metering and a few eqs i use. Yes all the magic stuff is not up on screen and it's all subtle.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 4.39.41 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back