For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #17,626 of 20,234
Currently running a pair of Shozy Magma tribrids off of my A&K Kann Alpha while I kick it at the hotel this morning. I have to say, the Magmas are an almost criminally overlooked tribrid IEM. I have owned a lot of the tribrid offerings out there from the mid-fi ThieAudio lineup all the way up through the MMR Thummims and I hardly ever see the Magmas mentioned, but when I finally snagged this pair second hand on a whim I was shocked at just how good these are.

Up in the queue is a great 2008 self-titled album from the now defunct fusion trio Zevious. This album is one of my go to testing albums for the jazzy side of things. The broad sonic palette and the funky technical musicianship plus my own familiarity with it make it just perfect for seeing how an IEM meshes with upright bass and cymbals. It also has fairly simple, but high quality, stripped down production which I find best for getting a handle on timbre. Not to mention the fact that Zevious and this album in particular are always a great listen. 🤘😎

altkep4g7exub_600.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #17,627 of 20,234
JRiver MC 32 >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado RS-1x :L3000:

duck.jpg

DUCK (2024) by The Aristocrats - Release day is a wonderful thing and a strain on the wallet. Got this as 24/96 download hot off Bandcamp and am just beginning my first listen. The sound quality is stellar and the music is what you expect from this band - as good as it gets and then some. They have actually made an instrumental concept album about a south seas Duck fleeing a penguin policeman all the way to New York and the shenanigans that ensue. The music is great, the band is really on song and Guthrie's guitar acrobatics are quite insane - I know Matteo Mancuso is pushing for the throne but he's not there yet and Guthrie isn't going to vacate it without a hell of a fight. I used my usual fusion setup of the SMSL stack and the RS-1x which not only do great with the music but they make Guthrie's guitar sound superb. :darthsmile:

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #17,628 of 20,234

duck.jpg

DUCK (2024) by The Aristocrats - Release day is a wonderful thing and a strain on the wallet. Got this as 24/96 download hot off Bandcamp and am just beginning my first listen. The sound quality is stellar and the music is what you expect from this band - as good as it gets and then some. They have actually made an instrumental concept album about a south seas Duck fleeing a penguin policeman all the way to New York and the shenanigans that ensue. The music is great, the band is really on song and Guthrie's guitar acrobatics are quite insane - I know Matteo Mancuso is pushing for the throne but he's not there yet and Guthrie isn't going to vacate it without a hell of a fight. I used my usual fusion setup of the SMSL stack and the RS-1x which not only do great with the music but they make Guthrie's guitar sound superb. :darthsmile:

Ooh, I have this one waiting for when I get back on the over ear rig later on tonight. I'm stoked to see what the guys have put together this time around. Also pumped to read your impressions since your tastes often overlap with mine when it comes to music. 👍😎

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #17,629 of 20,234
Ooh, I have this one waiting for when I get back on the over ear rig later on tonight. I'm stoked to see what the guys have put together this time around. Also pumped to read your impressions since your tastes often overlap with mine when it comes to music. 👍😎
Really enjoying it up until track 7 and they went incendiary, Slideshow is something else!

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #17,630 of 20,234

duck.jpg

I have to recover a lot of your recs and then make a "rids57 playlist" tagged at my foobar :rolling_eyes: I love your recs :beerchug:

Listening to "Pink Floyd - Animals" with the 58Xs.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #17,631 of 20,234
ifi micro iDSD Siganture > Meze Advars - IMHO one of the best matches, another one being Signature with Audeze MM-500. I've been looking into Stellia as a replacement for MM-500 in this transportable setup, but I find a lot better synergy with Mojo 2 and Mojo 2 give better transparency, clarity and detail retrieval while with Signature I know that Stellias are missing something. Never had this feeling with MM-500 on the other hand. Signature hints of warmth and sometimes lack of details not to mention transparency makes enjoyable expirence with Audeze cans. Had the same feeling with LCD-1.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 10.21.19.png

Something for @cgiammona and @JAnonymous5150 to try at the evening during weekend :wink:

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #17,632 of 20,234
Still on ifi micro iDSD Signature > Meze Advars

An interesting musical experiment, maybe not on the level of Minimal Guitar by arnolddeboer but still worth listening and buying. I feel so many different influences that most will find something that's close to their hearts (or ears rather :wink: ). Definitively worth listening on better setup. I do miss T+A Solitaire P-SE resolution, neutrality and clarity. Chord DACs could be a great fit, since this is the album - just like Minimal Guitar - that you want to listen critically for the very first time and discover all of the recording nuances.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #17,633 of 20,234
Sennheiser HD820
Naim Atom HE as pre amp to Woo WA22, All balanced today and sounding particularly good with the tube selection in use.
Actually things were too good today as surfing some new releases ended up cutting into the new headphone budget with download purchases.
Some banjo fun and an artist to explore further:

Bela Fleck.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #17,635 of 20,234

The master of dubstep makes his return, huge tunes goodness

Szalayi / schiit stack / MusicBee - local FLAC files

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #17,636 of 20,234
Qobuz > E70V > A90D > TGXear Tantalus
Great timbre and detail, almost absurdly power hungry for earbuds. Excellent for the price.
550x550.jpg

The Last Dinner Party - Prelude to Ecstasy

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #17,637 of 20,234
Great timbre and detail, almost absurdly power hungry for earbuds. Excellent for the price.
550x550.jpg
super good album

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #17,639 of 20,234
550x550.jpg

Isn't it funny how you can plug in some tiny earbuds and be amazed as they just soak up the power? I've got some 600ohm buds that are right up there with some of my harder to drive over ear planars with regards to power requirements. For some reason it just seems like something so small shouldn't be able to handle that kind of power, let alone require it. 😂

And to keep things topical:

This evening I've got my Hifiman Edition XS running off my Schiit Lyr (Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88s) with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding the optical output from a Wiim Mini. This is such a cool rig that sounds great and can be put together for very reasonable money these days.

At the top of my current queue is Thank You Scientist's 2021 album, Plague Accomodations. These guys are so fun to listen to. They incorporate so many different styles and sounds into their music. The level of musicianship displayed is often quite impressive. The vocalist tends towards a bit of an emo style, but, unlike many vocalists from the emo genre, he can truly sing. I saw them live and was impressed by his ability to sing very well without Auto tune and other studio tricks. Their violinist was actually really impressive live as well.

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

keclg4c2a0o8b_600.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #17,640 of 20,234
Mytek Brooklyn Bridge > Focal Stellias

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 21.46.20.png

Almost unknown album by almost unknown band from 90's, mastered in a way that sometimes makes it too slow a bit; I really need to listen to it using Burson amp but for now I've successfully unpacked my trusted Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and I love both its sound and recording studio heritage with all info on display, guess very few dac/amp can provide the same set of functionality and information (RME comes to my mind as another potential contender). I'm quite surprised how the switch from analog to digital volume control makes difference in sound with Stellias. Listening with FRMP filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back