For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #8,971 of 20,927
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #8,972 of 20,927
Would there ever be such a fingerprint on your 3000x?….😳….🧽🧼….🤣
LOL! Of course not! I treat these guys with the utmost respect!

Leo

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #8,974 of 20,927
I see. Were they hyped recently? I decided to buy them since I thought they survived past the hype a while back. I also based the purchase off Precogvision's review on the Tanya (which I was interested in) and how he thinks the Tanya doesn't beat the 755.

I didn't at all mean to imply that you were part of the hype or buying them because of it, but the Sony twins have been the hipster budget gem of choice over on some of the Reddit subs and a few YouTube channels for the last 6 to 8 months. They've become the cool budget "endgame" buy.

For the record, I was agreeing with what you said about them as I thought it was very reasonable and accurate as opposed to the "Sony MH755s kill the *insert name of crazy expensive IEM here*" comments I have seen too many of elsewhere.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #8,975 of 20,927
Maybe I should consider getting a Grado. Afterall, I do like treble. Do you know how good their entry-level models are?
At various times I've had them all. SR 60 and SR 80 are very good for entry level. Depends on what you're coming from. I came from cheap IEM's back in the day and they blew me away. My wallet has never been the same again......

Leo

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #8,976 of 20,927
Never heard of this guy until listening to Blues from "Jazz Radio:Blues" from Paris France. I guess he is very popular there as they play alot of his music. Amazing, mostly original blues...... Focal Clear OG

51qx-icxwdL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #8,977 of 20,927
I didn't at all mean to imply that you were part of the hype or buying them because of it, but the Sony twins have been the hipster budget gem of choice over on some of the Reddit subs and a few YouTube channels for the last 6 to 8 months. They've become the cool budget "endgame" buy.

For the record, I was agreeing with what you said about them as I thought it was very reasonable and accurate as opposed to the "Sony MH755s kill the *insert name of crazy expensive IEM here*" comments I have seen too many of elsewhere.
Sorry if my reply seemed defensive. Wow, I never heard that they were even considered "endgame". Interesting.

Nov 21, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #8,978 of 20,927
listening via:

BQEYZ Topaz IEM < SMSL HO100 < SMSL D6 DAC < roon < Qobuz

listening to two of the nektar releases listed in this thread earlier today I dinna know well.

And for the record nektar was Germany based based but the 4 original members were all ex-pat Brits.

1669088374748.png

Nektar Evolution
https://open.qobuz.com/album/axz9am78l2q9b

1669088425840.png

Nektar "The Other Side"
https://open.qobuz.com/album/zbo0sivcxbmpc

And ending tonights prog rock journey with some Gryphon.

This album from 1974 is their best one, but all are interesting.
This is the only rock band I know that made extensive use of krummhorn and bassoon.

“The bassoon is one of my favorite instruments. It has a medieval aroma, like the days when everything used to sound like that. Some people crave baseball...I find this unfathomable, but I can easily understand why a person could get excited about playing the bassoon.”​

― Frank Zappa

Gryphon "Red Queen to Gryphon Three"
https://open.qobuz.com/album/iyqc4h1v74mpb
1669088522033.png

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #8,979 of 20,927
Sorry if my reply seemed defensive. Wow, I never heard that they were even considered "endgame". Interesting.

You didn't come off as defensive. Injust wanted to clarify. That's all.

Let me put it this way, when the Moondrop Chus came out there were literal flame wars between the Chu fanboys and the MH7xx fanboys over which was the real "giant slayer." The mods in one sub I used to visit had to delete multiple threads that got out of hand over it.

To make this post topical, I currently have my Hifiman HE400is plugged into my JDS Labs El Stack 2+ which is being fed plenty of bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from my laptop/Qobuz.

I'm currently listening to Face The Music, Electric Light Orchestra's 1975 release. ELO is always a worthwhile listen, IMO. Musically creative, catchy, and full of energy, I always find listening to their albums to be invigorating.

ab67616d0000b2734a84848e015e2a4c484cf217.jpeg

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #8,981 of 20,927
1669094677195.png
TripleFi 10 < Mojo 2
Listening to my first hifi earphones, the TF10.
Still remember how I was blown away first time listening to them.
Horrible fit (didn't know about flip flop mod at that time), horrible cable, but the sound was just so smooth and energetic!

Man, I haven't thought about the old 3F10s in a cool minute! They were the first IEM I purchased for listening to music rather than stage monitoring. I remember them sounding pretty smooth and musical, but, as you said, the fit ans the cable were terrible. I sold mine after maybe six months of using them and didn't buy another IEM for music listening for at least a couple of years.

Now I wish I still had them so I could see how they stack up against current IEMs that I like. Since I dont, I'm going to ask you: How do they compare against current IEMs that cost what the 3F10s cost back in the day? I'm really curious if they still come across as being a solid smooth and musical midfi IEM or what.

I always have fun pulling out old favs that I still own and seeing how they stack up. Some seem to be great forever as real classics and others just get passed by and would be better if I left them as classics in my memory lol! 😂

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #8,982 of 20,927
Man, I haven't thought about the old 3F10s in a cool minute! They were the first IEM I purchased for listening to music rather than stage monitoring. I remember them sounding pretty smooth and musical, but, as you said, the fit ans the cable were terrible. I sold mine after maybe six months of using them and didn't buy another IEM for music listening for at least a couple of years.

Now I wish I still had them so I could see how they stack up against current IEMs that I like. Since I dont, I'm going to ask you: How do they compare against current IEMs that cost what the 3F10s cost back in the day? I'm really curious if they still come across as being a solid smooth and musical midfi IEM or what.

I always have fun pulling out old favs that I still own and seeing how they stack up. Some seem to be great forever as real classics and others just get passed by and would be better if I left them as classics in my memory lol! 😂
Thanks for sharing your story with the TF10s :) I have purchased three pairs during the years (first two broken/traded), the most recent from ebay at $100.
I quickly checked the MSRP was $400, but there were times when they were $99 on amazon (in the old days of course).
One pair of my "modern" IEMs that is closer to this price range is the AKG N5005 ($1000 released, and often discounted to $199).
I feel that the N5005s are technically more impressive, with super transparent highs, great bass, and very balanced tuning.
But the TF10s definitely have "personality", with the signature V-shaped tuning, backed by solid technicality. The highs are not as transparent, which somehow contributed to the smoothness for me. This tuning worked, maybe due to the fact that at that time people were less focused on (constrained by?) the Harman target. Or it is just nostalgia for me (and I believe for a lot of people).

That said, neither the N5005s nor the TF10s are getting a lot of head time now, thanks to the MEST :)

Take my words with a grain of salt though, because I find it hard to describe sound signatures, and sometimes I couldn't tell the big differences that people are talking about :p

Wish you would come across a pair someday, which will remain in your "great forever" category!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #8,983 of 20,927
Thanks for sharing your story with the TF10s :) I have purchased three pairs during the years (first two broken/traded), the most recent from ebay at $100.
I quickly checked the MSRP was $400, but there were times when they were $99 on amazon (in the old days of course).
One pair of my IEMs that is closer to this price range is the AKG N5005 ($1000 released, and often discounted to $199).
I feel that the N5005s are technically more impressive, with super transparent highs, great bass, and very balanced tuning.
But the TF10s definitely have "personality", with the signature V-shaped tuning, backed by solid technicality. The highs are not as transparent, which somehow contributed to the smoothness for me. This tuning worked, maybe due to the fact that at that time people were less focused on (constrained by?) the Harman target. Or it is just nostalgia for me (and I believe for a lot of people).

That said, neither the N5005s nor the TF10s are getting a lot of head time now, thanks to the MEST :)

Take my words with a grain of salt though, because I find it hard to describe sound signatures, and sometimes I couldn't tell the big differences that people are talking about :p

Wish you would come across a pair someday, which will remain in your "great forever" category!

Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad you picked the N5005s to compare them to because I currently own the N5005s and I love them. They are one of my favorites for monitoring my drumming in the studio and until I got my 64 Audio N8 customs they were my primary IEMs for that job. The N5005s for the $199 to $249 prices that they go for are a great buy, IMO and I think they're a pretty underrated IEM. Do you have the OG Mest or the MkII and are the custom or universal?

I'm surprised that the Triple Fis retailed for $400. I bought mine for like $109 or something just over that $100 mark, IIRC, and I remember that being a good deal, but I didn't think they normally went for much more. At the time I was still doing the starving musician thing so they were one of the few really well liked sets that were affordable for me. Anyways, you're post had me looking for used pairs, but then I saw that cable again and my ears started remembering the pain...I still might grab a pair if I find a good deal just to be able to hear them again and see how close my memory matches reality.

Thanks again for the walk down memory lane! 🙏😎

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #8,984 of 20,927
Thanks for the quick response! I'm glad you picked the N5005s to compare them to because I currently own the N5005s and I love them. They are one of my favorites for monitoring my drumming in the studio and until I got my 64 Audio N8 customs they were my primary IEMs for that job. The N5005s for the $199 to $249 prices that they go for are a great buy, IMO and I think they're a pretty underrated IEM. Do you have the OG Mest or the MkII and are the custom or universal?

I'm surprised that the Triple Fis retailed for $400. I bought mine for like $109 or something just over that $100 mark, IIRC, and I remember that being a good deal, but I didn't think they normally went for much more. At the time I was still doing the starving musician thing so they were one of the few really well liked sets that were affordable for me. Anyways, you're post had me looking for used pairs, but then I saw that cable again and my ears started remembering the pain...I still might grab a pair if I find a good deal just to be able to hear them again and see how close my memory matches reality.

Thanks again for the walk down memory lane! 🙏😎
The cable-trauma gave me a good laugh, thanks man!
I got the MSRP quote from this link. Title quite funny!
The starving musician story is really cool. And at $100, the TF10s were really a gift for music lovers.
I have the OG MEST Universal. (Because I heard the OG has better holographic presentation.)
And they DO have that WOW factor! (But again, the fit is a bit problematic... Story of my life!)

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #8,985 of 20,927
Now for a more topical post: I have the DCA Stealths plugged into the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE absolutely killing the hi-res decoding gig as it's being fed bit-perfect from my laptop's locally stored files. As a quick aside, the Stealths continue to blow me away with their dynamism and the effortless way they present every little detail for the listener to appreciate. Listening with them is really a special experience for me and no matter how many times or how long I listen, the awe at how they reproduce music hasn't worn off a bit.

Enough gushing about the Stealths, what about the music you ask? Tonight King Crimson has reached the top of the queue again with their 1973 classic, Lark's Tongues in Aspic (Extended & Remastered). This is an album with the just the kind of fine detail and nuance to it that a good highly resolving headphone can really sink it's teeth into and do some impressive things with. Not the snappiest or most easily approachable KC album by a long shot, this is an album that really requires dedicated listening and parsing to fully explore and appreciate. If you commit to doing that, you'll be amply rewarded, learning and noticing new things about the music with each and every listen.

Just in case this ends up being my last post tonight, I'll wish you all good night or good day, as the case may be, and happy listening!

ab67616d0000b273a3580595cf9ef6ef46ba1566.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back