For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #8,296 of 20,921
My evening play:
Tidal >> Shanling EM5 >> Grado SR325x

verdi - la traviata.jpg

Great vocal by Kiri Te Kanawa.... :o2smile:

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #8,297 of 20,921
Pics Cut_2022113135449760.png

On my final P-SA album of their collection. This one probably is my favorite. They have made it in my music rotation. 👍 I'm looking forward to hearing what's coming in the future from these talented musicians. 🎼🎧😁

K340 Electrostat - Dynamic System < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Oh, @JAnonymous5150, I don't know if it's this album, the K340's or both but there is some sort of magic going on here. :L3000: good call!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #8,298 of 20,921
My wife thinks I'm falling in love with Jada... :rolling_eyes: She insists I have to make more infrequent my visits here :relieved: Well... Jada is so pretty...

Everytime I think this thread can't get any weirder...😉😂

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #8,299 of 20,921
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #8,300 of 20,921
iPad Pro m1->KHADAS Tea->Denon AH-D9200 🤗
5AC90729-57F4-4D84-93ED-BF9BD456A11B.jpeg

Nov 3, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #8,301 of 20,921
Oh, there's much more to come. 😜

I don't doubt it! BTW, I told you Only Passing Through and the K340s was a good combo. I'm glad you tried it and liked it. In other news, it turns out that a guitarist friend of mine that I used to do session work with has a Focal Elex he's going to let me borrow in exchange for me letting him borrow my HD800S. I'll be picking them up tomorrow. Any tips or recs for amps, sources, music, etc.

This morning I'm doing a little back and forth comparison between the OG ThieAudio Monarchs and the ThieAudio Excaliburs. Right now I have the Monarchs on and plugged into my Cayin N8ii. I just want to take a second and say that the N8ii is really an exceptional DAP and if you're looking for flagship sound and a flagship experience then I highly recommend you take a look at the N8ii.

Up to bat today is Songs From the Hard Shoulder, a 2022 release from The Tangent. I've never heard this album before, but it was recommended to me, along with a couple othet albums from this group, by the dude I'm borrowing the Elex from so I threw it in the queue and here we are. Crazy huh?

I'm only two tracks in, but I'm liking what I hear so far. The music has a neo-prog foundation with some jazzy, bluesy, and funky influences going on and I'm enjoying it.

the-tangent_songs-from-the-hard-shoulder_cd.jpg

Edit: This album actually has some really cool passages musically. For example, on one song it transitions from this heavily syncopated prog flow, to a flute driven jazzy melody, and on to some bluesy guitar solo riffing. There are other examples that are equally interesting and they're done with a deft musical touch that pulls the disparate musical parts together weaving a coherent musical whole. I dig it!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #8,302 of 20,921
I don't doubt it! BTW, I told you Only Passing Through and the K340s was a good combo. I'm glad you tried it and liked it. In other news, it turns out that a guitarist friend of mine that I used to do session work with has a Focal Elex he's going to let me borrow in exchange for me letting him borrow my HD800S. I'll be picking them up tomorrow. Any tips or recs for amps, sources, music, etc.

This morning I'm doing a little back and forth comparison between the OG ThieAudio Monarchs and the ThieAudio Excaliburs. Right now I have the Monarchs on and plugged into my Cayin N8ii. I just want to take a second and say that the N8ii is really an exceptional DAP and if you're looking for flagship sound and a flagship experience then I highly recommend you take a look at the N8ii.

Up to bat today is Songs From the Hard Shoulder, a 2022 release from The Tangent. I've never heard this album before, but it was recommended to me, along with a couple othet albums from this group, by the dude I'm borrowing the Elex from so I threw it in the queue and here we are. Crazy huh?

I'm only two tracks in, but I'm liking what I hear so far. The music has a neo-prog foundation with some jazzy, bluesy, and funky influences going on and I'm enjoying it.

Yes I do, these headphones and other Focal Hp's I'm told, have a mechanical clipping mechanism (loud clicks) that I have learned to avoid. Their driver excursion is extensive. It really shouldn't come into play unless you're listening to extremely bassy music at very loud level's that are not healthy for your ears. Again I find the bass very clean and punchy but do tame the 25-50 Hz frequency down otherwise it makes me fatigued after some time listening.
They are very comfortable to me but are quite creaky when moving your head around. As far as music goes, the Elex will handle anything you throw at them. The soundstage and imaging are excellent. Full 180 degree very tall and deep with no dead space.
A smooth dac nothing with too much attack, some decay is nice. They are easy to drive. I've only used them with SS amplification. I can't comment on tubes but I do prefer them CD direct on my Luxman rather than going through the Luxman's tube like sounding preamp. I'm very happy with my Elex purchase. I look forward to hearing your detailed impressions of them. I don't think you will be disappointed in the least bit.
Rock on! 🎧🎼🎧🎼🎧

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #8,303 of 20,921
Pics Cut_2022113172146173.png

HD650 (Custom Can's UK modded)
< Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD < @JAnonymous5150

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #8,304 of 20,921
Been listening with the Focal Clear OG and switched back to my beloved GS3000x. The 3000x are more fun, better timbre, better sound stage.... IMHO.... LOL. Just received Vol. 44 of Dave's Pick's. Live from Autzen Stadium, U. Of Oregon, Eugene Or. 06/23/90

Roon > Bifrost2/64 > Espressivio > Focal Clear/GS3000X
dead.jpg

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #8,306 of 20,921
I didn't know that I could "stand" (listen to) something like this (is one of my preferred gothic metal albums) with the HD 800s, but I do enjoy it... It seems that the bass, in the production process of the album, was pronounced, and I feel it good with the 800s (obviously, not in AH-D9200s levels, but with the Denons I had other issues with this particular album...):

Nov 3, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #8,309 of 20,921
Right now I have the Hifiman HE400i plugged into my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Gustard X26 pulling DAC duties being fed bit-perfect, hi-res audio goodness from Qobuz and my laptop.

I just picked the HE400is up off of ebay because I had some credit I needed to spend and I bid on these in like new condition with an aftermarket Hart Audio cable and I actually won them for $68 including shipping. I was originally planning on these essentially staying in my shop as a cheap pair of planars to throw on when I'm welding, fabricating, or doing other things I don't want to do with my favorites around. These things have totally surprised me as I like them a lot and have found myself reaching for them more often than I had ever thought I would. I did the hex grill mod that I did on my old HE6s and now they're even better. What a score!

Tonight I have on Falling Satellive, a live performance album from Frost* the title of which is a play on their Falling Satellites album. This is a fun live album to listen to and I find myself getting jealous of the audience that got to see this show. The recording quality isn't great (though it is good), but whoever did the production, mixing, and mastering work on it did a very good job cleaning it up, bringing the listening experience up several notches so tip of the cap to them. I'm also impressed with just how tight and mistake free these guys are live. All the great musicianship you hear on their studio work clearly carries through to their live performances. Two thumbs up from me!

1200x1200bb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back