For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #12,137 of 20,743
Switched over to the HE560 v1s, but still running the Schiit Lyr (Amperex Bugle Boys) with the Modi Multibit 2 being fed by the Wiim Mini.

Now on deck is a 2002 release of a compilation of material from the 70s, Macrocosm Introducing Brand X. I've been working my way through Brand X's discography over the last couple weeks and they have some really good material. Sometimes it gets a bit out there in their more "experimental" moments, but the majority of their tracks are chock full of high level musicianship and very tight playing of some pretty complex music. This is one of their more approachable albums (if a compilation counts as one of their albums) with easier to follow songs and melodic structures. It has everything from funky rock sections to Mellotron backed smooth jazz passages. Overall, this is a fun album with plenty of musical themes and textures to explore. I'm gonna give this one two thumbs up! 👍👍

ab67616d0000b273a159d02ee58221902ca6a82f.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #12,138 of 20,743
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #12,139 of 20,743
Switched over to the HE560 v1s, but still running the Schiit Lyr (Amperex Bugle Boys) with the Modi Multibit 2 being fed by the Wiim Mini.

Now on deck is a 2002 release of a compilation of material from the 70s, Macrocosm Introducing Brand X. I've been working my way through Brand X's discography over the last couple weeks and they have some really good material. Sometimes it gets a bit out there in their more "experimental" moments, but the majority of their tracks are chock full of high level musicianship and very tight playing of some pretty complex music. This is one of their more approachable albums (if a compilation counts as one of their albums) with easier to follow songs and melodic structures. It has everything from funky rock sections to Mellotron backed smooth jazz passages. Overall, this is a fun album with plenty of musical themes and textures to explore. I'm gonna give this one two thumbs up! 👍👍

ab67616d0000b273a159d02ee58221902ca6a82f.jpeg
Had Brand X's "Unorthodox Behaviour" back in the day and Phil Collin's drumming was incredible. Sad how his health has deteriorated.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #12,140 of 20,743
Had Brand X's "Unorthodox Behaviour" back in the day and Phil Collin's drumming was incredible. Sad how his health has deteriorated.

Brand X is my favorite of Collins' various projects. I think it showcases his skills as a drummer to an extent most of his other work didn't. Granted, those other projects produced some classics, but I'm speaking purely as a drummer here.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #12,141 of 20,743
Brand X is my favorite of Collins' various projects. I think it showcases his skills as a drummer to an extent most of his other work didn't. Granted, those other projects produced some classics, but I'm speaking purely as a drummer here.
His drumming was pretty innovative and spectacular in early Genesis too, eg - Selling England By The Pound.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #12,142 of 20,743
His drumming was pretty innovative and spectacular in early Genesis too, eg - Selling England By The Pound.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just feel like the Brand X material lets him get out of the box a little bit more. It let's him show off more innovation in his techniques, you might say. That's all I meant when I said that.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #12,143 of 20,743
JRiver Media Center > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > Sony MDR-1A

blacklikesunday.jpg

Black Like Sunday by King's X - Been playing Holly Cole albums tonight and fancied something a bit rockier and off the beaten track to finish the session, before hitting the sack and King's X fit the bill quite nicely. My King's X sessions tend to begin and end with Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, so I deliberately picked one that normally misses out.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #12,144 of 20,743
Qobuz > Chord Mojo2 > Schiit Valhalla 2 + Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Tubes > Sennheiser HD800S w/Forza AudioWorks Claire HPC Mk2 UPOCC Copper Cable 🤙

This combination has such great synergy with Sennheiser cans. The Chord soundstage and resolution paired with tube warmth and holographic presentation is so good. The mojo2 allows me to add a bass shelf to the HD800S with it's lossless DSP.

IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_FECB89AEB6DF-1.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #12,145 of 20,743
Focal Clear (original) << Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC << Liquid Platinum (Sylvania ‘yellow print’ ‘long plate’ 12AU7s):
C5659DBC-AC06-48C2-924A-9EFF6A77BF85.jpeg
EC164473-D443-4670-810D-12B44C2C30A6.jpeg
ECD90FF0-BAD1-4FB4-99C7-36E5AF379B89.jpeg
[Columbia: November, 1973.] Welcome by Santana, to me, is far and away their most emotionally enriching and musically potent recording. The personnel is stellar, the musicianship is exquisite … so many moods, such delivery … Santana at its collective and individual peak. Please treat yourself to an experience of this album. [JAnonymous5150: Mike Shrieve on the drums is astounding.]

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #12,146 of 20,743
Just movin' into my new digs (hotel room) for the rest of the week and enjoying some tunes while I do. Right now I have the TRI 03s (OG) running off my A&K Kann Alpha. There's just something I find addicting about this set. It has very good timbral accuracy and cohesion for a tribrid (Planar+DD+BA). Pair that with a large soundstage and very good layering abilities and you've got yourself a very good listen indeed. The OG i3s shoukd get way more love than they do, IMO.

I have kinda been bouncing around various jazz-rock/fusion bands lately and no meandering journey through that kinda stuff would be complete without stopping off to enjoy some Mahavishnu Orchestra. For this sesh I decided to go with their 1971 studio debut, The Inner Mounting Flame. Later MO albums might be more polished or more thematically cohesive and organized, but there's always something special about the energy on this, the one that started it all. Sometimes you find yourself trying to keep up with the almost schizoid changes coming at a frenetic pace on some of the tracks, but somehow I always find myself locking on to something I hadn't ever noticed before. Some new facet that provides and perspective on the album or track that I'd never before been privy to, making it all seem fresh and new again like I'm listening for the first time... again. It's a very de ja vu experience for me. I highly recommend you check it out! 🤘😎

cover_43265852016_r.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #12,147 of 20,743
Focal Clear (original) << Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC << Liquid Platinum (Sylvania ‘yellow print’ ‘long plate’ 12AU7s): [Columbia: November, 1973.] Welcome by Santana, to me, is far and away their most emotionally enriching and musically potent recording. The personnel is stellar, the musicianship is exquisite … so many moods, such delivery … Santana at its collective and individual peak. Please treat yourself to an experience of this album. [JAnonymous5150: Mike Shrieve on the drums is astounding.]
Agree. Welcome was way ahead or outside of its time. I think there was a strong Mahavishnu influence but it has a very singular, soulful sound. Also Doug Rauch's bass playing is a big factor. If could only own two Santana's it would be Welcome and Abraxas.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #12,148 of 20,743
Pi2aes using moOde playing lossless files via USB 4tb western digital drive. Using BNC to coax cable to Bifrost 2 OG XLR out to Jotunheim 2 XLR out to my beater HD6xx using audiophile ninja cable. with ZMF suede pilot pad and ZMF fenestrated suede pads. Currently 24/96 needle drop of Firepower by Judas Priest.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #12,149 of 20,743
JAnonymous5150: Mike Shrieve on the drums is astounding

Is Mike Shrieve ever not astounding? 😉 Great pick! Welcome is all-time good. The collection of talent on that album is pretty staggering to contemplate. 😎

Edit: @BobSmith8901 what if you could only own one? Gun to your head: Abraxas or Welcome? 🤔🧐

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #12,150 of 20,743
Agree. Welcome was way ahead or outside of its time. I think there was a strong Mahavishnu influence** but it has a very singular, soulful sound. Also Doug Rauch's bass playing is a big factor. If could only own two Santana's it would be Welcome and Abraxas.
** at one point Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin were students / disciples of Sri Chinmoy. They also collaborated on the album Love, Devotion, Surrender
16C5F74F-0730-422B-9D23-A442C595270F.jpeg
[ released in 1973 (same year as Welcome) ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back