For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #9,046 of 21,386
Simple miking…. I will add that the JVC XRCDs are fantastic! I have quite a few Blue Note released albums in this format 😀.
Analog masters :wink:

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #9,047 of 21,386
Er2xr > fiio m11

100 gecs at unsafe volume level

cover.png

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #9,048 of 21,386
Qobuz > BF264 > Valhalla2 > GS3000x

41CJX50GFEL._AC_UY300_QL65_.jpg

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #9,049 of 21,386
Qobuz > BF264 > Valhalla2 > GS3000x

Check out Pieces of Dreams if you like Stanley Turrentine. Not his regular fare but good-feelings kinda listening.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #9,050 of 21,386
Can't believe this is from 1956, sounds so clean!
The first really great sonic vinyls has to be the RCA recordings with 3 ribbon mics and no spotlight mics from the 1950's and early 60's - so called "shaded dogs", but even later white dogs and Dynagrooves (if you could defeat the usual warps) were good. EMI of the BSO great. Do not care for the crazy Columbia treble, and most DG's. Then in the later 70's the revival of vinyl - Sheffield, East Winds, Wilson, etc. labels, and then 1/2 speed masters from MoFi, Nautilius, and even CBS.

Couldn't stand all that TELARC digital on vinyl and any digital until Doug Sax figured it out on the mixing side, and I heard ladder DAC's. Also if you stuck tubes in the path to increase HD it could be tolerable but of course is impure heresy for some. Still have yet to hear a SABRE chip that doesn't set me off in 3 seconds - although my exposure has been limited the past 5 years I do want to make clear.

Do like the ECM jazz stuff but they could pop and the treble could be too exotic at times.

Not sure anything beats reel to reel at 15 ips however. Good luck with building a library...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #9,051 of 21,386
IMHO, Europe '72 (original triple album), not some of the others released with similar names.... This album changed my life in magical ways.... :scream:

I see why guitar guys like this band but sadly, I couldn't get through five minutes of this album. Just not my thing. Thank you!

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #9,052 of 21,386
5783 :wink:

Ok, back on topic for a moment (sorry for the interruption :D ) if I listen to only one Dead album, which one should it be?
Such a difficult question. If you want the best sounding official release, the album Reckoning is an excellent collection from an all too rare acoustic set (there’s also an expanded version) - it’s the Dead’s gift to audiophiles, but it’s not really representative because it’s acoustic (it’s awesome, but it’s not the usual). However, if you want to experience a full live show, Cornell ‘77 is the obvious pick (Barton Hall), as it is generally acknowledged to be ‘the one’, officially released as a box set a few years ago. My personal gateway was the original Europe’72 album, a collection of some of the best performances from that tour (each show has since been released individually plus there’s an expended or remastered version of the original), so for sentimental reasons, I’d probably say that one if I were to recommend only one. But, another collection of live performances that was also the gateway for many and I highly recommend is Grateful Dead from 1971, an album which many refer to as ‘Skull and Roses’. Hundred Year Hall is another favorite full show from the same era, as is One from the Vault, the full show from Great American Music Hall in SF in 1975.

If, and only if, you really want a studio album, for me it’d be Workingman’s Dead, but live is what it’s all about with any jam band, and they pretty much invented the genre.

So, you asked for one and I gave you 6. But, I didn’t give you 50….

Enjoy the trip!

Edit: I see you rejected @Luckyleo’s suggestion of Europe ‘72, so ignore everything else I said above and try Workingman’s Dead. Eight great songs in the psychedelic country rock genre, and not much noodling.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #9,053 of 21,386
The first really great sonic vinyls has to be the RCA recordings with 3 ribbon mics and no spotlight mics from the 1950's and early 60's - so called "shaded dogs", but even later white dogs and Dynagrooves (if you could defeat the usual warps) were good. EMI of the BSO great. Do not care for the crazy Columbia treble, and most DG's. Then in the later 70's the revival of vinyl - Sheffield, East Winds, Wilson, etc. labels, and then 1/2 speed masters from MoFi, Nautilius, and even CBS.

Couldn't stand all that TELARC digital on vinyl and any digital until Doug Sax figured it out on the mixing side, and I heard ladder DAC's. Also if you stuck tubes in the path to increase HD it could be tolerable but of course is impure heresy for some. Still have yet to hear a SABRE chip that doesn't set me off in 3 seconds - although my exposure has been limited the past 5 years I do want to make clear.

Do like the ECM jazz stuff but they could pop and the treble could be too exotic at times.

Not sure anything beats reel to reel at 15 ips however. Good luck with building a library...
Don’t forget Wilma Cozart Fine’s Mercury Living Presence recordings from that era - even the original cd releases are great (she worked on them).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #9,054 of 21,386
Don’t forget wilma Cozart Fine’s Mercury Living Presence recordings from that era - even the original cd releases are great (she worked on them).
Yes sorry. Mercury Living Presence are superb! Some Decca and London's good too but hard to find the gems in the US

More on RCA: Camden, Red Seal, and Gold Seal meh->bad.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #9,055 of 21,386
Qobuz > Bifrost 264 > Vali 2++ > GS3000x

Peppy way to start the morning!!!!

Great pick! Elvin really lays it down on this album. It's one of the best, if not the best, live recordings of him doin' his thang the way only he can.

Edit: woah! Just realized you also rec'd the Europe '72 album that I thought strat put up. You're on point today!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #9,056 of 21,386
Great pick! Elvin really lays it down on this album. It's one of the best, if not the best, live recordings of him doin' his thang the way only he can.

Edit: woah! Just realized you also rec'd the Europe '72 album that I thought strat put up. You're on point today!
@Luckyleo is always on point! I recommended it too - that album was also my gateway. I still remember the moment I heard Jack Straw for the first time and said to myself “Well, this is different…”

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #9,057 of 21,386
Such a difficult question. If you want the best sounding official release, the album Reckoning is an excellent collection from of an all too rare acoustic set (there’s also an expanded version) - it’s the Dead’s gift to audiophiles, but it’s not really representative because it’s acoustic (it’s awesome, but it’s not the usual). However, if you want to experience a full live show, Cornell ‘77 is the obvious pick (Barton Hall), as it is generally acknowledged to be ‘the one’, officially released as a box set a few years ago. My personal gateway was the original Europe’72 album, a collection of some of the best performances from that tour (each show has since been released individually plus there’s an expended or remastered version of the original), so for sentimental reasons, I’d probably say that one if I were to recommend only one. But, another collection of live performances that was also the gateway for many and I highly recommend is Grateful Dead from 1971, an album which many refer to as ‘Skull and Roses’. Hundred Year Hall is another favorite full show from the same era, as is One from the Vault, the full show from Great American Music Hall in SF in 1975.

If, and only if, you really want a studio album, for me it’d be Workingman’s Dead, but live is what it’s all about with any jam band, and they pretty much invented the genre.

So, you asked for one and I gave you 6. But, I didn’t give you 50….

Enjoy the trip!

Edit: I see you rejected @Luckyleo’s suggestion of Europe ‘72, so ignore everything else I said above and try Workingman’s Dead. Eight great songs in the psychedelic country rock genre, and not much noodling.
Ok, no love. I tried :D

Thank you!

P.S. I had to spin up my Crusaders playlist to get back to normal! :p

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #9,058 of 21,386

I couldn't hack the new release of Elvis Jones either. I like hard bob (Art Blakey, etc.) but this was too much.

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #9,060 of 21,386
I couldn't hack the new release of Elvis Jones either. I like hard bob (Art Blakey, etc.) but this was too much.

From a music and jazz lover's perspective, it's not my favorite, though I still find it enjoyable. However, from a drummer's perspective this album is sick! Elvin is really rockin' the kit on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back