For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #7,411 of 20,277
Like Zaplanc and JAnonymous5150 I was feeling jazzy too, so I went with ......

JRiver MC (PC) > SMSL SU9 > SMSL SH9 > HiFiMAN HE400i w/ Dekoni sheepskin pads

Common Ground by Bill Evans and Robben Ford - I'm more used to Ford's more blues based output but he slots right in here just fine. This is their second collaboration, the first being The Sun Room, which I will have to hunt down as I'm really liking what I'm hearing. :L3000:

The Sun Room is definitely worth adding to any collection! I didn't know they had a second album out together. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

I should add that I saw Robben Ford play a jazz festival show (Bakersfield, CA Jazz Fest IIRC) years back for which he teamed up with another sax player, Tom Scott, and they played some tunes with a similar feel to this stuff with Evans. It was one of the best jazz guitar shows I have ever seen. If the blues ever get tired of Robben, I'm sure jazz will accept him with open arms!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #7,412 of 20,277
I got to see Keith Jarrett solo at Carnegie Hall a few years back. On rare occasions, you can just feel in the air that you are in the presence of someone truly bigger than life. I felt it when I saw Dylan, and Garcia, I felt it when I met Greg Norman, and Ted Kennedy, and I felt it when I saw Keith Jarrett. The man is something more than human when he puts his hands on the keyboard, especially when he is solo - unfettered by other musicians (don’t get me wrong, I tremendously enjoy his duo and trio stuff, but it is the solo work that can be transcendent). This is a recent release of a concert from years ago. I listened to it last night on my bedside system through the GS1e’s, and I’m listening to it again this morning on my speakers. This is music to be heard and absorbed; cherished, not analyzed. It’s unlikely he will record or even play live again. That is a shame. What a wonderful hobby we have that, when done right, allows us to continue to enjoy such cultural treasures in the comfort of our own homes.

860FBE2E-8618-4628-91B7-B5CBA8B75953.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #7,414 of 20,277
Still in jazzy mood... Interesting...
Gilad Hekselman - Asking For Chaos (Tidal) >> Shanling EM5 >>Grado SR325x

gilad hekselman.jpg
There are a whole boatload of interesting young jazz players coming out of Northern Europe, Gilad Hekselman certainly among them. 👍🏼👍🏼

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #7,415 of 20,277
I got to see Keith Jarrett live, solo at Carnegie Hall a few years back. On rare occasions, you can just feel in the air that you are in the presence of someone truly bigger than life. I felt it when I saw Dylan, and Garcia, I felt it when I met Greg Norman, and Ted Kennedy, and I felt it when I saw Keith Jarrett. The man is something more than human when he puts his hands on the keyboard, especially when he is solo - unfettered by other musicians (don’t get me wrong, I tremendously enjoy his duo and trio stuff, but it is the solo work that can be transcendent). This is a recent release of a concert from years ago. I listened to it last night on my bedside system through the GS1e’s, and I’m listening to it again this morning on my speakers. This is music to be heard and absorbed; cherished, not analyzed. It’s unlikely he will record or even play live again. That is a shame. What a wonderful hobby we have that, when done right, allows us to continue to enjoy such cultural treasures in the comfort of our own homes.

Preach it brother! So true and, yes, so incredibly lucky.

When I heard about the strokes Mr. Jarrett had I was legitimately sad for the man. As a fellow musician (though nowhere near Jarrett's level) I absolutely cannot imagine being unable to play the instruments I love. They keep me happy, balanced, and semi-sane. My hearts breaks for him.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #7,416 of 20,277
I got to see Keith Jarrett live, solo at Carnegie Hall a few years back. On rare occasions, you can just feel in the air that you are in the presence of someone truly bigger than life. I felt it when I saw Dylan, and Garcia, I felt it when I met Greg Norman, and Ted Kennedy, and I felt it when I saw Keith Jarrett. The man is something more than human when he puts his hands on the keyboard, especially when he is solo - unfettered by other musicians (don’t get me wrong, I tremendously enjoy his duo and trio stuff, but it is the solo work that can be transcendent). This is a recent release of a concert from years ago. I listened to it last night on my bedside system through the GS1e’s, and I’m listening to it again this morning on my speakers. This is music to be heard and absorbed; cherished, not analyzed. It’s unlikely he will record or even play live again. That is a shame. What a wonderful hobby we have that, when done right, allows us to continue to enjoy such cultural treasures in the comfort of our own homes.

860FBE2E-8618-4628-91B7-B5CBA8B75953.jpeg
Was the concert you saw the Carnegie Hall concert in Feb 2017? I've always wondered if that one was recorded by ECM. I heard that he was in fine form that night and made some great commentary. I never got to see him solo but saw him with the Trio in '93.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #7,417 of 20,277
Currently, I have the 64Audio A18s plugged into my Cayin N8ii which is a fantastic combo that I hadn't tried out before. As I was checking out new releases on Qobuz last night I ran into The Blues Don't Lie, the new release from Buddy Guy. I had also seen it just recently on this very thread so I put it in my playlist of things to try. Well, it came on when I went to take my first break of the day and, while I'm only a few tracks in, this sounds like another solid release of the kind BG is known for putting out since the 60s.

The man hasn't slowed down a bit and I'd actually say that his last few albums show a more mature and even more creative bluesman, IMO. Guy's 2015 release, Born To Play Guitar, comes to mind as an album where it's easy to hear the kinds of growth and changes I'm talking about. So far, The Blues Don't Lie seems to be very much a continuation in the same vein.

Crop-TheBluesDontLie_CoverArt-copy.jpg

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #7,420 of 20,277
Preach it brother! So true and, yes, so incredibly lucky.

When I heard about the strokes Mr. Jarrett had I was legitimately sad for the man. As a fellow musician (though nowhere near Jarrett's level) I absolutely cannot imagine being unable to play the instruments I love. They keep me happy, balanced, and semi-sane. My hearts breaks for him.
I feel the same. The last I heard is that he is doing OK and is able to play some with his right but hasn't made much progress with the left.

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #7,423 of 20,277

Tidal-->Roon-->TEAC UD-505-->HeadAmp GS-X Mini-->DCA Aeon Noire
George Duke - Dukey Stick
The Dramatics - Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get
If you haven't already, spin up Feel by George Duke. It's his best album that I have heard. Amazing what kind of recording they could do in 1976 and how far ahead of its time the music is.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #7,424 of 20,277
If you haven't already, spin up Feel by George Duke. It's his best album that I have heard. Amazing what kind of recording they could do in 1976 and how far ahead of its time the music is.
Thank you for the suggestion adding that Album now!

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #7,425 of 20,277
SharedScreenshot.jpg

Getting my Country music on. This guy can write songs and pick a guitar with the best of them. :L3000: Great album + quality recording =😁. Whiskey Lullaby featuring Alison Krauss has some great vocals and earth-shaking sub bass going on. 😍

HD650 < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back