For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #586 of 21,392
Grado PS-2000e << Woo Audio WA6 (USAF + CBS/Hytron):

Welcome, Santana (Columbia, 1973).
Nice choice of tunage. I cranked that one on my 2-channel just a few days ago.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #587 of 21,392
LCD-3 (yeah, still!) > Grateful dead / 5-8-77 (yeah, again!!!)

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #588 of 21,392
Nice choice of tunage. I cranked that one on my 2-channel just a few days ago.
My favourite of the Santana discography: great Carlos playing - great Leon Thomas vocals - masterful drumming by Michael Shrieve…😄

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #589 of 21,392
My favourite of the Santana discography: great Carlos playing - great Leon Thomas vocals - masterful drumming by Michael Shrieve…😄
My favorite is and will always be Santana III. It's pretty much what brought me into their music. If you ever have a chance to see a tribute band called Jingo, don't pass them up. They really nail it!!!!

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #590 of 21,392
PS500 Schiit Bifrost /Gen2 USB Asgard 1 - Third Day - Long Time Comin'

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #591 of 21,392
Just learned that Graeme Edge has passed. I will revisit a bunch of Moody material later today in his honor. :frowning2:

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #592 of 21,392
For me it was Weather Report in 1974 at the Music Hall in Boston. Guy who got us the tickets thought we'd be happy sitting about 20 feet from the left bank of speakers. Shorter and Zawinul spent the night trying to out solo each other. I've heard K-horns measured at 118 db, and this was worse.

It was so bad my ears felt like they were bleeding for a week. And the hearing loss I have on one side dates to that night. I couldn't leave because I was 17 with older guys and didn't want to look like a weenie. I wish now I had taken the weenie course of action.
I was also 17 in 1975 when I saw the Marshall Tucker Band in Charleston SC in March of that year This was pretty much my first rock concert and the volume was off the charts. I mean heart racing, What?? feeling. But yeah, gotta be cool and act like it's OK! I'm sure every single person in that room that wasn't wearing hearing protection (don't know about the band and crew....) can date at least some hearing loss from that event. And I wasn't even sitting that close. I don' t know that I suffered definitive hearing loss in either ear from that date, but me and my buddy's ears were LOUDLY ringing for a few days after. Immediately after, we had to keep repeating things to each other as the ringing was so intense it over-road our voices. I do suffer from tinnitus now and have lost a lot of my over 12Khz sensitivity but there could be other factors involved too.

I wouldn't discover Zawinul and Shorter myself for a few years after your Boston experience but the I got to see Weather Report in its Omar Hakim/Victor Bailey incarnation in '83 or '84 and then the brief Weather Update in 1986. They must have turned the volume down quite a bit at those points as I don't remember it being a factor.

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #593 of 21,392
Just learned that Graeme Edge has passed. I will revisit a bunch of Moody material later today in his honor. :frowning2:
…to be buried in white satin?…

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #594 of 21,392
Audeze LCD-X (2016) << FAW Noir Hybrid HPC << Flux Lab FA-22:

E.S.P., Miles Davis (Columbia, 1965).

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #595 of 21,392
AH.jpg

Nov 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #596 of 21,392
7Hz Timeless << A&K KANN Alpha << Mid Gain << 4.4mm stock << Dekoni Bullets

Had such a good time with this combination yesterday I bought a cable for them after a two hour listening session.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #597 of 21,392
I was also 17 in 1975 when I saw the Marshall Tucker Band in Charleston SC in March of that year This was pretty much my first rock concert and the volume was off the charts. I mean heart racing, What?? feeling. But yeah, gotta be cool and act like it's OK! I'm sure every single person in that room that wasn't wearing hearing protection (don't know about the band and crew....) can date at least some hearing loss from that event. And I wasn't even sitting that close. I don' t know that I suffered definitive hearing loss in either ear from that date, but me and my buddy's ears were LOUDLY ringing for a few days after. Immediately after, we had to keep repeating things to each other as the ringing was so intense it over-road our voices. I do suffer from tinnitus now and have lost a lot of my over 12Khz sensitivity but there could be other factors involved too.

I wouldn't discover Zawinul and Shorter myself for a few years after your Boston experience but the I got to see Weather Report in its Omar Hakim/Victor Bailey incarnation in '83 or '84 and then the brief Weather Update in 1986. They must have turned the volume down quite a bit at those points as I don't remember it being a factor.
Cool. They played after the Mayall and it was supposed be Joe Walsh after but he broke his hand so they subbed.

I saw Floyd 5 times (twice before DSoM), 3 Zep, 4 Who, 2 Stones, 4 King Crimson, 3 Miles, F Mac, 7 times U2 before October came out, and a pile more and nothing was near loud as WR.

I was at the Boston Stones concert when Keith Richards got arrested in Providence.

Surprise great gigs: Van Morrison, Roxy Music, REM. Aerosmith was my HS dance band in '72-'74 saw them at least a dozen times; Cars 4 times at UMass Fall '77.

Saw Duane A & Berry O (first concert thanks to Bro 9 yrs older). Saw Tull & Zep together in outdoor gig in NH in '70 or '71.

Lots of BSO mixed in..... with Cowboy Junkies, Krall, Dream Syndicate, Heads, Eno, Durutti Column (3), Joni, ok stop

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #598 of 21,392
Cool. They played after the Mayall and it was supposed be Joe Walsh after but he broke his hand so they subbed.

I saw Floyd 5 times (twice before DSoM), 3 Zep, 4 Who, 2 Stones, 4 King Crimson, 3 Miles, F Mac, 7 times U2 before October came out, and a pile more and nothing was near loud as WR.

I was at the Boston Stones concert when Keith Richards got arrested in Providence.

Surprise great gigs: Van Morrison, Roxy Music, REM. Aerosmith was my HS dance band in '72-'74 saw them at least a dozen times; Cars 4 times at UMass Fall '77.

Saw Duane A & Berry O (first concert thanks to Bro 9 yrs older). Saw Tull & Zep together in outdoor gig in NH in '70 or '71.

Lots of BSO mixed in..... with Cowboy Junkies, Krall, Dream Syndicate, Heads, Eno, Durutti Column (3), Joni, ok stop
Sounds like you started young and got to see some really early incarnations of some of my favorite bands/musicians. And then some! I was really influenced as a teenage guitarist by the Allman Bros and Jimmy Page and they heavily influenced my playing or imitation attempts! I did get to see Jethro Tull at the Capital Center, MD in Nov '75--that was a great one. I remember Gentle Giant opened for them. Never had the chance to see Duane Allman or Berry Oakley or ABB, so that must have been a gas for you. As I got into my twenties it was Pat Metheny Group and Jaco Pastorious; saw the former many times over the years and Jaco I finally saw with his mini-Word of Mouth band with Mike Stern in '84 or '85.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #599 of 21,392
Sounds like you started young and got to see some really early incarnations of some of my favorite bands/musicians! And then some. I cut my teeth as a teenage guitarist on Allman Bros and Jimmy Page; they heavily influenced my playing or imitation attempts! Did get to see Jethro Tull at the Capital Center, MD in Nov '75; that was a great one. Never had the chance to see Duane Allman or Barry Oakley or ABB, so that must have been a gas. As I got into my twenties it was Pat Metheny Group and Jaco Pastorious, saw the former many times over the years and Jaco I finally saw with his mini-Word of Mouth band with Mike Stern in '84 or '85.
Jaco was great. From his own stuff, to Joni, it's all great.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #600 of 21,392
7FF20DD2-1E3D-421D-84C6-CE9BF18D98CE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back