For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 1, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #18,091 of 20,937
Finally made it home in the wee hours this morning and I'm taking a little time to have a sesh on my main signal chain before the wife and I go out for lunch. Right now I have my Hifiman Susvaras running off the sorely missed Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with my Holo Audio May KTE pulling DAC duty.

Just decided to pick up where I left off in the queue on my laptop which means that Wobbler's 2011 effort, Rites At Dawn, is up first. What can I say, Wobbler just know how to string together truly epic tracks into a coherent work of art in traditional prog fashion. These guys are one of those bands that would sound totally contemporary whether you're a prog fan hearing them in 2023 or 1973. They have a classic sound and ability to execute at a high level musically that never really goes out of style, IMO. Important to note is that, while they have a very classic style, they add a creative bent that makes their music instantly identifiable and entirely their own rather than being a simple throwback that sounds like a tribute band. They're one of my favorite bands in the genre, for sure. 🤘😎

1200x1200bf-60-2.jpg

P.S. Can I just say that this rig sounds truly epic?!?! The ability to tweak the Oor/Hypsos to optimize the capabilities of whatever headphone it's driving provides an absolutely killer foundation that adds so much to dynamics, staging, bass control, and the little things like note attack and decay that it just takes the performance to another level. Everytime I've been away from this chain for a while and come back to it I find myself just as impressed as I was the first time I experienced it. 👍😎

Mar 1, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #18,092 of 20,937
Campfire Bonneville + HIBY R8 II
Atmospheric Black Metal, awesome release. Great band, great female vocalist.
Intense parts/tracks, while some are melodic. Dark folk atmosphere also.

Fourth time today, success for me at least. And faovorite set together being Bonneville, with the thick big low end and full but darker midrange and crisp top.

https://songwhip.com/suldusk/anthesis2024

DSCF4498.jpg

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #18,094 of 20,937
Campfire Bonneville + HIBY R8 II
Atmospheric Black Metal, awesome release. Great band, great female vocalist.
Intense parts/tracks, while some are melodic. Dark folk atmosphere also.

Fourth time today, success for me at least. And faovorite set together being Bonneville, with the thick big low end and full but darker midrange and crisp top.

https://songwhip.com/suldusk/anthesis2024

DSCF4498.jpg

Would you mind giving me a little rundown on how you like the Bonnevilles and how they sound to your ears? We seem to enjoy some of the same music and IEMs so and I've been wondering about them. Feel free to ignore the request if you don't feel like it, but thanks in advance if you do. 🙏😎

To keep things topical:

My girl had to stop by her workplace for a bit after lunch so I went to hang out on the benches by the really cool fountain they have and do a little listening. I've got the Yanyin Mahinas plugged into my little Hifi Walker H2 which is the emergency DAP I keep in my truck for when I get caught out and need a lifesaving dose of some tunes unexpectedly. The warm sound is actually very complimentary with the Mahinas which are a very well extended IEM up top. These H2s are really great sounding and well built players and it shocks me that they go for $123 on Amazon.

I wasn't sure which SD card I had in the H2 last I used it so I just fired it up, scrolled through, and ended up on a 2019 album by jizue (yes, all lowercase) entitled Gallery. This is a fusion outfit from Japan (Kyoto IIRC) and they have some pretty chill material. I'm far from an expert on them and still have a couple albums from their discography that I haven't listened to, but I've really enjoyed their work so far. They have a certain level of nuance and emotion in their music that really makes listening enjoyable. Their albums (all but the first couple which aren't bad) also tend to feature very good production so listening with a revealing IEM like the Mahinas makes it sound all that much better. 😎

1200x1200bb.jpg

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #18,096 of 20,937
Since you mentioned Kyoto...couldn't resist but post my dear Kyoto Jazz Massive :)
And again Fiiiioooooo FD11...becoming a fan of Fiio IEMs :)

:tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink:

Hey, I've got KJM on this SD card, too! The same friend who rec'd jizue turned me on to these guys at the same time so I went and streamed a few tracks and then bought a bunch of their offerings on Bandcamp. I dig their electro-jazz blend. 👍😎

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #18,097 of 20,937
Would you mind giving me a little rundown on how you like the Bonnevilles and how they sound to your ears? We seem to enjoy some of the same music and IEMs so and I've been wondering about them. Feel free to ignore the request if you don't feel like it, but thanks in advance if you do. 🙏😎
If you ever look at the graph it look like crap, true example that graphs are not always correct on IEMs.

Working on my review slowly, can say as a teaser: its my new faovorite set for most metal. That can be death metal, prog, doom and more. The full sound with the lush and visceral low end, that also goes into some of the low mids thickening both drums and guitars. Cymbals have plenty of bite as they should, growling and vocals sound full without being shouty. Soundstage is huge and atmospheric. A little old school V shape sound.

Its not all praise, music that have alot of treble emphasis can get tiresome. The Bonneville has quite forward treble, but in a way balances the boosted bass.
The midrange is not forward on everything, quite clear that the upper midrange is darker than the lower midrange. So bright and airy vocalists lack some presence, same for instruments like saxophone.

But in return this tuning balance work really well for me on rock and metal.

https://songwhip.com/steven-wilson/the-harmony-codex
1709334632314.png

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #18,098 of 20,937
HD660S2 feed from Yggy+ and Feliks Espressivio

1709334925210.png

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #18,099 of 20,937
Qobuz => Yggy + GS2 => Feliks Espressivio => Hd660S2

I'm listening to this artist for the 1st time. I feel like I'm in the front row at the Village Vangaurd, with smoke and clinking glasses in the back round (even though this is a studio recording). For me, it has that old school type of feel.....

1709336223142.png

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #18,100 of 20,937
First of if you ever look at the graph it look like crap, true example that graphs are not always correct on IEMs.

Working on my review slowly, can say as a teaser: its my new faovorite set for most metal. That can be death metal, prog, doom and more. The full sound with the lush and visceral low end, that also goes into some of the low mids thickening both drums and guitars. Cymbals have plenty of bite as they should, growling and vocals sound full without being shouty. Soundstage is huge and atmospheric. A little old school V shape sound.

Its not all praise, music that have alot of treble emphasis can get tiresome. The Bonneville has quite forward treble, but in a way balances the boosted bass.
The midrange is not forward on everything, quite clear that the upper midrange is darker than the lower midrange. So bright and airy vocalists lack some presence, same for instruments like saxophone.

But in return this tuning balance work really well for me on rock and metal.

https://songwhip.com/steven-wilson/the-harmony-codex
1709334632314.png

Yeah, I've seen the graphs, but I've also heard some pretty positive impressions from the two owners I know and I also have plenty of experience with graphs not telling the whole story of an IEM. I'll be keeping an eye out for your write up. Thanks for the teaser. 🙏

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #18,101 of 20,937
First listen to the new Schitt stack I ordered.

Ogg Vorbis files on PC->Modius->Lokius->Jotunheim->Drop/Hifiman HE5xx headphones...

Happened to be playing Royal Blood when I plugged it in so that's what I listened to first. Plenty of bass.

Will probably go off to my usual test albums now, starting with the 50th Aniv. edition of Sgt. Peppers. Beautiful remaster on that.

Mar 1, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #18,103 of 20,937
Currently running a pair of Hifiman OG HE6 (six screw w/ hex grills installed) off of my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with a Schiit Audio Yggy pulling DAC duty. I didn't feel like plugging into my Parasound speaker amp and, TBH, with the Oor/Hypsos' ability to adjust things like voltage I don't often feel the need to anymore.

At the top of this evening's queue is Karcius' 2022 effort entitled Grey White Silver Yellow and Gold (That's right. No Commas). These guys are one of my favorite prog-metal outifts. Sylvain Auclair's vocals on this album are really next level with his husky timbre and ability to yell/scream while maintaining key and stability. This album and the band are definitely worth checking out!

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

a0380706054_65.jpeg

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #18,104 of 20,937
Qobuz => Yggy + GS2 => Feliks Espressivio => Hd660S2

I'm listening to this artist for the 1st time. I feel like I'm in the front row at the Village Vangaurd, with smoke and clinking glasses in the back round (even though this is a studio recording). For me, it has that old school type of feel.....

1709336223142.png
Yeah, fab. You might like this

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #18,105 of 20,937
IMG_3494.jpeg
Back to this amazing playlist. Saw a number of Live shows on Friday nights so this works for me. ZMF Auteurs- Liquid Platinum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back