For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 4, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #16,681 of 21,392
Took a break for a while from music. Over the holidays I went through the Pat Metheny, Coltrane and Thelonious Monk catalogs on my iPhone connected to a pair of Thie Audio Legacy 4s. Starting to like IEMs for playback. Moved back yesterday to albums through my A6 and living room stereo system. Have been listening to this guitarist Julian Lage. Really laid back music to start off my 2024. Almost sounds like jazz improvisations with a quiet mood. Looking to discover more great artist in 2024 through the qobuz jazz genre selector on the A6.

IMG_4038.png

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #16,683 of 21,392
Currently listening to a pair of basshead "guilty pleasure" IEMs, the ISN Neo 5s, through my Hiby RS6 which is delivering all the hi-res hits I can handle.

As for music, I've got Polyphia's 2022 release, Remember That You Will Die, at the top of my queue. Each of this band's albums have a different flavor to them while remaining a true exhibition of their unique musical style and skill which is something that I really enjoy. I mostly picked this album because it has plenty of complex and very deep rhythms in the low end and I wanted to check out how the Neo 5s handled that since I have only had them for a couple weeks and haven't spent all that much time with them yet. All of Polyphia's work is definitely worth checking out and, if you're looking for a reasonably priced true basshead IEM that still has good technical performance, so is the Neo 5.🤘😎

Album_cover_of_Polyphia_-_Remember_That_You_Will_Die.jpg

Edit: I should mention that the Neo 5s actually have very good mids and vocals for such a bass heavy IEM. They come across clean, natural, and with very good timbre. This is definitely an IEM where the graphs don't tell the whole story. Definitely a pair I have to be in the mood for since I'm not much of a basshead, but they're a nicely executed version of basshead tuning that certainly offers a different flavor to the affordable side of my collection.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #16,686 of 21,392
Focal Clear (OG) << Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC << Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold:
A11A3C8E-BC59-4208-8DCA-92BFC8711418.jpeg
EC0F199F-DF8D-4761-82D3-7183C1B19A76.jpeg
[Parlophone: released June, 1967.] Via the newly-upgraded and returned Mystique DAC, "Pepper" is fully and truly revealed as a masterpiece of music psychedelia 😵‍💫🤪 ... (i'd love to turn you on) ... 👍

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #16,687 of 21,392
... 🎼 Jada in the sky with diamonds... 🎶

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #16,688 of 21,392
This morning I have my new favorite affordable single DD IEMs, the Oriveti OD200s, running off my Cayin N8ii which is playing DJ for this leg of my journey.

At the top of my queue is a 2020 comeback album from My Morning Jacket entitled The Waterfall II. I call this a comeback album because this was their first in years where MMJ sounded like themselves. Their earlier stuff was downright brilliant and then they just started trying way to hard to be weird and outlandish and just ended up sounding contrived over quite a few years and several albums. Then in 2020 this understated, back to basics kinda album hit and it felt like the first time in a long time when they quit trying to be something and just played like themselves.

a0425163752_10.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #16,690 of 21,392
Finally got a CD player set up at the headphone station 💿
Unfortunately the Sony cannot fit the space, and even the backup Denon DCD-720AE is quite big in this setup.
Moderat modern Madonna is breaking in this new setup with her album Music.
PXL_20240105_080812666.MP.jpg
Denon 720 to R7 to Roger to HEKS

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #16,693 of 21,392
Getting hyped up to play tonight so I've got the 64Audio A18ts (my actual in-concert IEMs) running off the A&K Kann Alpha while I do my stick and pedal warm-up exercises. Tonight is gonna be a great show! I can already feel the energy. 😎

At the top of my high energy queue is an album from all the way back in 2007, The Machinations of Dementia by Blotted Science. This album is a great example of instrumental metal-prog from that time when it was all about demonstrations of technical musicianship while rockin' hard and I love that about it. Listening to these guys go off, throwing in time changes, structure shifts, and all manner of difficult to execute musical concepts all while playing it cohesively is always fun to listen to. It also happens to be a great motivator to push myself to exhibit my own skills behind the kit which is exactly why I chose it tonight. This one is definitely worth checking out.

To those about to rock, I salute you! 😎🤘

51Rc+m5mYfL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #16,694 of 21,392
Getting hyped up to play tonight so I've got the 64Audio A18ts (my actual in-concert IEMs) running off the A&K Kann Alpha while I do my stick and pedal warm-up exercises. Tonight is gonna be a great show! I can already feel the energy. 😎

At the top of my high energy queue is an album from all the way back in 2007, The Machinations of Dementia by Blotted Science. This album is a great example of instrumental metal-prog from that time when it was all about demonstrations of technical musicianship while rockin' hard and I love that about it. Listening to these guys go off, throwing in time changes, structure shifts, and all manner of difficult to execute musical concepts all while playing it cohesively is always fun to listen to. It also happens to be a great motivator to push myself to exhibit my own skills behind the kit which is exactly why I chose it tonight. This one is definitely worth checking out.

To those about to rock, I salute you! 😎🤘

51Rc+m5mYfL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Best vibes for your show tonight!

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #16,695 of 21,392

Users who are viewing this thread

Back