For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 1, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #16,591 of 21,376
I got to thinking about my long term favorite North American artists of the 1970's (1972-1982 actually) Friday, and came up with three of them:

In no order: Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and Miles Davis - so I spent lots of time with each, and remembered all over again why I chose them. Everyone here has their own list. Take some time to listen and remember why. It's been decades since I heard some of the material - quite enjoyable, and conjured up some forgotten memories and emotions.

Next few weeks it'll be the 80's or maybe the 60's. Amazing amount of new music around these days, but the earlier stuff - (unless you are like 19) has a pull of its own.

Happy 2024

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #16,593 of 21,376
ZMF Caldrea Kingswood LTD > Tara Labs Omega Live w/HFX > Woo Audio WA5-LE (Elrog 300B-Mo, Sylvania 6F8G Z0 "Green Leaf", Elrog 5U4G) > World's Best RCA > Musical Surroundings Nova III > Rega Planar 6 (Fluance Clear Acrylic mat, Pro-Ject Brass 800g weight) > Rega Apheta 3 > John Lee Hooker - "The Healer"

IMG_3117.jpeg

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #16,594 of 21,376
I got to thinking about my long term favorite North American artists of the 1970's (1972-1982 actually) Friday, and came up with three of them:

In no order: Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and Miles Davis - so I spent lots of time with each, and remembered all over again why I chose them. Everyone here has their own list. Take some time to listen and remember why. It's been decades since I heard some of the material - quite enjoyable, and conjured up some forgotten memories and emotions.

Next few weeks it'll be the 80's or maybe the 60's. Amazing amount of new music around these days, but the earlier stuff - (unless you are like 19) has a pull of its own.

Happy 2024

Sounds like a good time! Happy New Year! 🤘😎

To keep it topical, I'm listening to the Dita Perpetua running off a Hiby RS6 which is serving up all my high res favorites.

Currently at the top of the queue is the 2020 live album from Mestis entitled En Vivo. The quality of the audio and production that is being pulled from live performances these days is really something to behold. I have seen Mestis live twice and it's crazy to watch this dude go off on his 7+ string guitars. His work is definitely worth checking out for anybody who likes to hear something that isn't quite the mainstream we're all used too. Highly recommended by yours truly! 😎

En-Vivo-Mestis.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #16,595 of 21,376
ZMF Caldrea Kingswood LTD > Tara Labs Omega Live w/HFX > Woo Audio WA5-LE (Elrog 300B-Mo, Sylvania 6F8G Z0 "Green Leaf", Elrog 5U4G) > World's Best RCA > Musical Surroundings Nova III > Rega Planar 6 (Fluance Clear Acrylic mat, Pro-Ject Brass 800g weight) > Rega Apheta 3 > John Lee Hooker - "The Healer"

IMG_3117.jpeg

If you don't mind, I have a quick question. So I got to spend a couple weeks with a friend's pair of Calderas and during that time I tried them on SS and tube hybrid amps, but nothing fully tube driven like the Woo Audio stuff. How do you like the pairing with the WA5-LE and do you find it tending towards too much warmth or a lack of definition at all?

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #16,596 of 21,376
If you don't mind, I have a quick question. So I got to spend a couple weeks with a friend's pair of Calderas and during that time I tried them on SS and tube hybrid amps, but nothing fully tube driven like the Woo Audio stuff. How do you like the pairing with the WA5-LE and do you find it tending towards too much warmth or a lack of definition at all?
Don't mind at all.

Like most ZMF headphones, they definitely have a house sound. In the case of the Caldera, it's a very "W" shape to my ears and did take about 2 weeks to get used to. Compared.to the Meze Elite, they're definitely colored, and do lean slightly warm.

Having said that, pad rolling is DEFINITELY a thing with ZMF, and if you want a cleaner, tighter sound, go with the Cowhide Thin pads for the Caldera. IMO (and it is just that, MY opinion), the thicker pads tend to soften and warm them up even further, at the expense of highs losing some energy.

Tubes with the Woo is another matter entirely. Each tube affects sound dramatically, and I can go from dark and smoky jazz/blues house sound (USAF "Mighty" 596 rectifiers, EML 300B Mesh or KR Audio 300B Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition, RCA CRC JAN VT-231 Grey Smoke) to bright and clean (Takatuski 274B, Takatsuki 300B, Sylvania 6F8G Z0 Green Leaf) to across-the-board pure and bold (Elrog 5U4G, Elrog 300B-Mo, Melz 1578). The beauty of the Woo is you can find tune every aspect is listening. Right now I'm configured for my analog listening (vinyl & Reel-to-Reel). Next week it might be Classical on Tidal MHQ or Master.

The setup is nearly infinitely tuneable. Plus the Caldera have the weight to punch well down into sub-bass territory. "Why So Serious" for the Dark Knight OST is a great example of their technical skills....

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #16,597 of 21,376
Rocking the HD660S tonight...

Screenshot_20240101_215309_Deezer.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #16,598 of 21,376
Don't mind at all.

Like most ZMF headphones, they definitely have a house sound. In the case of the Caldera, it's a very "W" shape to my ears and did take about 2 weeks to get used to. Compared.to the Meze Elite, they're definitely colored, and do lean slightly warm.

Having said that, pad rolling is DEFINITELY a thing with ZMF, and if you want a cleaner, tighter sound, go with the Cowhide Thin pads for the Caldera. IMO (and it is just that, MY opinion), the thicker pads tend to soften and warm them up even further, at the expense of highs losing some energy.

Tubes with the Woo is another matter entirely. Each tube affects sound dramatically, and I can go from dark and smoky jazz/blues house sound (USAF "Mighty" 596 rectifiers, EML 300B Mesh or KR Audio 300B Riccardo Kron Anniversary Edition, RCA CRC JAN VT-231 Grey Smoke) to bright and clean (Takatuski 274B, Takatsuki 300B, Sylvania 6F8G Z0 Green Leaf) to across-the-board pure and bold (Elrog 5U4G, Elrog 300B-Mo, Melz 1578). The beauty of the Woo is you can find tune every aspect is listening. Right now I'm configured for my analog listening (vinyl & Reel-to-Reel). Next week it might be Classical on Tidal MHQ or Master.

The setup is nearly infinitely tuneable. Plus the Caldera have the weight to punch well down into sub-bass territory. "Why So Serious" for the Dark Knight OST is a great example of their technical skills....

Thanks for the detailed reply. I definitely agree on the pad rolling effects on ZMFs in general, as that jives with my experience on the 5 (2 currently) I have owned. The reason I was asking about the tube amp pairing is because I found that with the Caldera already leaning warm, I preferred some of my cleanest tube sets even on my hybrid amps so the thought of a full tube amp driving them was interesting to me. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to give me the full rundown. 👍😎

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #16,599 of 21,376
Thanks for the detailed reply. I definitely agree on the pad rolling effects on ZMFs in general, as that jives with my experience on the 5 (2 currently) I have owned. The reason I was asking about the tube amp pairing is because I found that with the Caldera already leaning warm, I preferred some of my cleanest tube sets even on my hybrid amps so the thought of a full tube amp driving them was interesting to me. I definitely appreciate you taking the time to give me the full rundown. 👍😎
With the right tubes, the Woo can be every bit as clean (or cleaner) than some solid-state amps. I'm fortunate enough to have a dead quiet system that produces only black background, so I can hear even there slightest change in color or impact from different sources. A Takatsuki setup makes the Woo sound clinical and lifeless (imo) - not an enjoyable listening experience, but others swear by the purity of sound. To each their own, I guess....

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #16,601 of 21,376

great on planar headphones.

that song in a more electric dance format from Original soundtrack:
Kids Return

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #16,602 of 21,376
JRiver MC (PC) > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Denon AH-D7200 :L3000:

acelltocallhome.jpg

A Cell To Call Home (2023) by Advent Horizon - Described (by the band) as a mix of 70's prog and 80's rock with a twist of blues, this Salt Lake City band have certainly got my attention. It came very close to my top prog pick of the year but lost out to Southern Empire's album because it doesn't include White Shadows and SE's does. Overall it makes for a very enjoyable listen, it's not edgy and is extremely accessible, just very good music. I'm still using my COVID setup as the D7200's are easy on the ears while still being detailed :darthsmile:

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #16,603 of 21,376
On the HarmonicDyne Zeus Elite.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #16,604 of 21,376
R7 to SMSL or directly to Violence V200 to Aria Snow.

Vestbo Trio - Less Talk
1000005178.png

Amazing album, heard it so many times 👍
Hoping it can help me reveal a difference between DACs. Testing with IEM's today, sounds fantastic no matter what DAC is used 👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back