For the skeptics, which tweaks have you found to actually work?
May 29, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #46 of 106
What's a skeptic? If it's someone who doesn't believe the hype until he hears for himself, I'll count myself in. I'm not going to rank any of the tweaks I've tried, for the simple reason that "big difference" and "no difference" are both possible for the same tweak. They don't always work. "Major" vs. "Minor" ranking is impossible out of the context in which the tweak is tried. Sometimes it's because the tweak itself is a crock, in which case "doesn't work" is possible, and sometimes it's because different systems are sensitive to different tweaks. The list below are some of the tweaks that have produced significant results for me in at least one system.

dedicated power line
Power cords
Isolating digital and analog components on different power supplies
interconnects
keeping power cords away from interconnects
power conditioners
voltage regulation
(the power tweaks become critical if your system sounds better late at night)
isolation footers
coupling footers
isolation bases
chassis damping
CD treatment (Auric Illuminator etc.)
Bedini Ultra-Clarifier
record cleaning
LAST record treatment
fluxbuster for MC cartridges
tonearm alignment
speaker/headphone positioning
tube rolling
tube damping
platter mats
CD damping mats

These aren't "tweaks", but they matter:

amp
preamp
headphone
speaker
source

The actual results you obtain from any of this is going to depend completely on your own system, and your own preferences. A trivial tweak in one system can be "make or break" in another.

May 29, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #47 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
dedicated power line
Power cords
Isolating digital and analog components on different power supplies
interconnects
keeping power cords away from interconnects
power conditioners
voltage regulation
(the power tweaks become critical if your system sounds better late at night)
isolation footers
coupling footers
isolation bases
chassis damping
CD treatment (Auric Illuminator etc.)
Bedini Ultra-Clarifier
record cleaning
LAST record treatment
fluxbuster for MC cartridges
tonearm alignment
speaker/headphone positioning
tube rolling
tube damping
platter mats
CD damping mats

These aren't "tweaks", but they matter:

amp
preamp
headphone
speaker
source

So Hirsch, have you ever tried anything that didn't work?
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #49 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek
i have had people over several times to test out gear. it's kinda my thing. and philodox has been a part of one of those meetings.

in those tests, with numerous 'audio enthusiasts' and often musicians we've found little difference between several cd players and a very heavily modded ART D/IO DAC. Nothing really jumped out, although I have heard some differences in other cd players.

I don't think it's a stretch to consider that many have a similar sound. I'm not talking about a $100 player compared to $1000, but I think once you hit a certain pricepoint you can guarantee that they are all doing their job well and that if they are all doing what they're supposed to with good components that they might have a similar sound.

I've found exactely the samething. It's more worthwhile upgrading the amp.

May 30, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #50 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomek
So Hirsch, have you ever tried anything that didn't work?
biggrin.gif

Yes, but that wasn't what the thread was about, if you read the title. In fact, most of the above have failed to make a noticeable difference at one time or another. It's not whether or not most of them work, or even how much. Rather, the key tends to be whether or not whatever is happening is useful to the system it's being done on.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #52 of 106
Wont make a difference in sound quality(provided we are comparing reasonably quality products)
Cables of any kind (unless you have a noise problem)
Break-in (tubes may very well experience warm up time though)
Cd-players
MOST soundcards
amplifiers (until you go past it's linear operating range or you are using a valve amp with an excessively high output impedence)
vibration isolation (except for turntables)
mass loading solid state electronics
esoteric capacitors, resistors and inductors
power conditioning (unless you have TERRIBLE line conditions)

Makes a difference(could be distinguished in a double blind test)
Speakers
Headphones
Turntables (including stylus, cartridge, tonearm, etc)
Speaker placement, room characteristics, room treatments

That's all I can think of for now
600smile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Now that is what I call a skeptic! I agree with most of it.

Or he just simply needs to try out more stuff... ie, a bit more experience.

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #55 of 106
Damn skippy! I like it!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBT
Wont make a difference in sound quality(provided we are comparing reasonably quality products)
Cd-players
MOST soundcards
amplifiers (until you go past it's linear operating range or you are using a valve amp with an excessively high output impedence)

Speakers
Headphones

600smile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #56 of 106
From my personal experience...what does make a difference:
Sound Card, CD Deck, MD Deck (analog outputs)
speaker angling (vertically and horizontally)
speaker spikes
speaker stands
amplifiers
Signal-Routing (through receiver or preamp)
break-in/burn-in

...and a lot of the other practical stuff that everybody's ranting about...lol, this is the stuff I use/know

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #57 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Or he just simply needs to try out more stuff... ie, a bit more experience.

What would you suggest I try?

I've already done sighted (and a few blind) tests between most of the devices.

I used to think amplifiers could make a significant audible difference a few years ago, but have since changed my mind. I think it's doubtfull I will change my mind back again
etysmile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #58 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBT
What would you suggest I try?

I've already done sighted (and a few blind) tests between most of the devices.

I used to think amplifiers could make a significant audible difference a few years ago, but have since changed my mind. I think it's doubtfull I will change my mind back again
etysmile.gif

I made the comment half jokingly but forgot the smiley. I doubt that I can change your mind, nor would I want to try. If you can't tell the difference between and mg Head OTL and a cmoy, then there's not much left for me to say. Same goes for differing levels of cdp, I've tried a several and the difference is easily discernable, even to my non audiophilic friends (going from scd555ES, modded art di/o, and scd-1). But as I've said, I'm not here to convince you of anything. I don't want to become one of those guys that swears on the effectiveness of bright shining pebbles and try to convince everyone else.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #59 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBT
Cd-players
MOST soundcards

Speakers
Headphones

600smile.gif

CD Players? No difference? Even in a shop with all the distractions and with my very limited experience I can hear the difference between many CD players in the same class...

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #60 of 106
I have to vehemently disagree with his point about amps too, especially with speakers. The difference is night and day between good and bad amps. I used to think like DBT. It's just amplifying the signal right? As long as it doesn't do anything wrong, it shouldn't make a significant difference. Not any more though. With speakers, the difference an amp makes is enormous. I have a hard time believing that you couldn't hear the difference with a big contrasting comparison. I will admit I have a hard time hearing the difference with headphones. Or maybe it's just that my senns are easily driven by any number of amps
tongue.gif
I also dare you to try high capacitance cables with a passive preamp and tell me you can't hear that the sound is all jacked up (with decent speakers.)

Btw, why vibration isolation for turn tables but not for cd players? The cds are being read by a laser sitting on an analog driven motor being spun by an analog motor. Plenty of analog going around that could suffer from vibration. I haven't really heard an improvement in my system though I will admit I haven't tried any expensive vibration dampening products. Nothing over $2 at least.

"esoteric capacitors, resistors and inductors" These all have measurable differences from cheaper parts. Value variations are much lower. That should offer some kind of benefit, audible or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back