For someone wanting to get to the audiophile status, what should be my next set of IEMs?
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

abbztract

100+ Head-Fier
Initially I used to use the generic earbuds that one would get from the old iPods and such.

Then I moved up to some white $20 Sony in-ear 'phones.

That was a few years ago.

Six months ago I took the jump and dished out $50 for the Brainwavz R1 and it was something that I won't ever regret. Now they're broke and  I have no idea as to where I should go.

I've been reading quite a bit on the forums but to no avail.

I've been very intently looking at the IE80 and even the Westone 4R but now I think that's too big a jump.

I actually went to Addicted To Audio here in Melbourne a few days back and demoed the IE80, SE535, CKS90i as well as the Grado GR-10 and the best of them was undoubtedly the IE80s followed extremely closely by the CKS90i.

BUT I was underwhelmed by the IE80 because of the way they are personified here on Head-Fi as some of the best IEMs out there. They didn't feel like the $400 magnificent IEMs they're said to be.

What should be the next step in my journey towards high-end audio?

I mainly listen to hip-hop, dubstep, drum 'n bass, and a bit of random stuff I hear on the radio. The source for the 'phones are my iPhone 5 and my iPod which both will only play Lossless and when not that, 320kbps.

I would like to have something that can handle a bit of rough handling and a good enough for the gym (although its good enough as long as it doesn't fall out when running).

I would like to spend anywhere around $100 or so for the time being but if something higher is better, I'm up for it.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Get a Hisound BA-100.
A2A has all those on demo? Have to go down there sometime.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 8
They look quite..weak..

They have a usual price of $99 according to noisymotel.com who have dropped it down to $69 and I was thinking that maybe something a bit more sturdy and heavier actually would have been a good option. Maybe like the SE215?

Yeah they've got an absolutely massive range of items. I remember going there a few years back to try the M50, some Ultrasones as well as Shures and this time around they've gotten na lot bigger in terms of what they can provide.

Spent 2+ hours there this time trying out all kinds of stuff. Even got to try the Abyss AB-1266 (http://www.abyss-headphones.com/) which go for some $6000 running off $3000 amps which had cables that cost $2000 per meter,

Overall, the guys there are a great bunch and what they offer in terms of service and products is just fantastic.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Personally didn't like the Abyss. Honestly, the BA-100 sounds better than the SE215. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 8
The R50 is very bright. If you liked the IE80 you probably won't like the R50.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm European and I bought almost all my IEMs in the For Sale/Trade forum here. I just recommended a few IEMs I own myself around 100 USD new.
Meelec A161p is in the same price range but is the least neutral of the bunch I have summed up.

Sony MH1C I own as well and they are excellent value, around 40 USD, but clearly not up to the first 3 I summed up.
EPH-100 have more bass than R-50 and FXT90. R50 is the most detailed, just ahead of FXT90. FXT90 to my ears has an agressive presentation.
EPH-100 and R-50 have a better fit. R-50 would be my first choice between the three, unless you care more for bass than detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back