For around (or under) $100, you'd buy...
May 7, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 36
You know what guys, I haven't had a chance to check out any stores with these units listed in my om, but...I did try out some Koss KSC75 and UR40, just because of the price/performance ratio shown on this board. I bought both this weekend and compared, and I want your opinions on how to proceed.

Mind you, I'm just using a Soundblaster Live (I know...sucks), but for comparison purposes, it should still tell me what headphone is better than the next. The soundcard and amp will change pretty soon to something much better. Also, my music of choice is rock/pop stuff...Pink Floyd, Rush, Seal, Dire Straits, Thomas Dolby, Talking Heads, etc. I'm also auditioning these same headphones for movie purposes.

The KSC75's were awesome. They had a brilliance and clarity and even a soundstage that put my old Sony MDR-605's to utter shame (and now contempt). I had to use equalization with those Sony's to sound right. With the KSC75's, I was able to tun off the equalizer altogether. However, my only quandry was that although they had good bass, I wanted a little more. So I returned those to Ratshack and got the UR40.

UR40's appear to have the same driver, but for whatever reason, the specs are slightly worse. The pads provide almost no seal at all. They require a little more volume. And although they had a little more bass, it was just a little, maybe 10-15%. I also noticed that the clarity of the mids and highs was diminished somewhat. I didn't quite understand that. So, although these were pretty good overall, I still returned those, too.

Of course, the fact that these both had 4' cords sucks. If anyone has info about changing cords on headphones, let me know. I tried chnging cords one time, and couldn't do it because the green and red wire seemed more like a fabric that just would not solder. I'm used to RCA cables but headphone cables mystified me.

Anyway, If the KSC75 lacked a little in the lower bass regions, and the UR40's diminished the mids and highs, what should I look to as an equal to the KSC75's brilliance and clarity, but getting more tight deep bass? I'm thinking of something $100 or less. Should I just go back to my original list?

May 7, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 36
px100 from amazon i got it for $40. i have ksc75, and sr60.

the sr60's are the best but I'd recommend the px100, the ksc75 seem weak and were metallic sounding. px100 balanced sound u can listen for a long time without fatigue.

sr60s are heaver. ksc75s modded with a headband are great but the px100 seem better to me.

May 10, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 36
A Tube Tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back