For anyone who is considering getting Monster Turbines...
Sep 10, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Gilly87

Member of the Trade: ApeSonic
Sep 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 19
The turbines aren't overly bassy, IME; they're just way overpriced compared to something like the SE215s, which probably have a better  version of the sound that people buying the regular turbines are looking for. This was at least true for me, and I feel like many bassheads or people looking for $100-$150 IEMs with legit sound quality and sexy bass who hear about the Turbines would be happier with the SE215s.

It all comes down to subjective preference, obviously, but I felt like it was worth sharing my experience :) The SE215s would at least be a cheaper mistake :lol:

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Out of all IEM's though I do think the addiem's are an increadible value as they outclass the turbines and are about equal to the SE215's for about half the price.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 19
The addiems have good  bass if you get a good seal. The RE0s and the SE215s are even matchup, but I have heard that the RE0's are a bit more fragile.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 19
Eh, I might give it a shot but I'm tired of comply's; the SE215s sound like I wanted headphones to sound, pretty much. If there was something with slightly more (sub)bass quantity without being boomy or bloated or taking up more of the mids, or maybe even a little more twinkle in the highs with equal bass, then I would consider returning them and scoping something else out, so feel free to recommend based on those parameters, but (a) Apple is Fascist and (b) from what I read it sounds like they have noticeably less bass than the SE215s, so I'm not compelled yet :p

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 19
Read this and weep, my friend (underlining is mine):

ADDIEM - ljokerl's review from Dec, 2009:

Details: Apple’s ‘premium’ earphone; one of the cheapest dual-armature IEMs on the market
Current Price: $57 from bhphotovideo.com (MSRP: $79.99)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 23 Ω | Sens: 109 dB | Freq: 5-21k Hz | Cable: 4.6’ I-plug
Nozzle Size:4 mm | Preferred tips: Sony Hybrids, Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (2.5/5) - Silicone single-flange tips (3 sizes) and plastic case
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The front parts of the housings are metal while the rear parts are plastic. Earphones feel well-put together but the cabling is thin and generic. Attention to detail is impressive – Filters can be removed for cleaning, L/R markings are easier to read than most, and the three sets of tips are labeled with their sizes
Isolation (2.5/5) – Average isolation; quite reasonable for my commute
Microphonics (4/5) – Slightly present when worn straight down; very low when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The housings are very small and light. The long stem makes it a little awkward to wear them cord-up but the fit is absolutely effortless cord-down

Sound (6.2/10) – The sound is analytical and highly detailed. The dual armatures can really dissect a piece of music into fine details and still manage to maintain coherency. The clarity is outstanding for the price and the whole signature is a bit relaxed. I really like the sound these put out – the treble and upper mids are very crisp, the bass is fairly tight and doesn’t creep up, and instrumental separation is good. The mids are nowhere near as liquid as those produced by the other budget BA phone in my possession – the Soundmagic PL50 – and soundstaging is pretty average. They might sound a little “thin” to some but that’s inherent to the signature – for an analytical signature on a budget I can’t find much fault with them.

Value (8/10) – At the MSRP there are certainly other options out there. However, at the common ebay price of ~$35 these are an excellent earphone to be had. They make a lot of the competition sound muddy and congested but at the same time aren’t cold enough in tone to turn off the average listener. The well-thought-out, tiny housings make these a pleasure to use and the functionality doesn’t lag far behind the ergonomics.

Pros: Nice design touches, very comfortable, some of the crispest sound to be had, iPhone controls may be handy for apple users
Cons: Included case can be a pain to use, hard to wear over-the-ear, may be bass-light for some

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the decisions emanating from Apple Corp, but if Apple wanted to start making seriously good computer audio, I believe they could do it. I'm not talking 'high end', but when your baseline is the iBud, the only way is up  :wink:

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 19
My thoughts exactly... The addiems are an awesome value with pretty damn good sq around all frequencies.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 19
I like the frequency response on the ADDIEMs, and they sound like legit phones overall, but tbh the SE215s are right in the middle of my bass preference, not quite ideal for a couple particular songs that I really like to hear thump. From what I hear so far I just don't think the ADDIEMs would do me right on that level.

The whole reasoning behind this thread: I bought the turbines hoping for more bass than they delivered. ADDIEMs might be for people who want a cheap alternative to the regular Turbines, but I went with SE215s because I wanted more bass with a good overall sound signature and clear mids, and they deliver. Personally I find the SE215s to be superior in every way to the turbines except the highs, which aren't super special on either one.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
The turbines aren't overly bassy, IME; they're just way overpriced compared to something like the SE215s, which probably have a better  version of the sound that people buying the regular turbines are looking for. This was at least true for me, and I feel like many bassheads or people looking for $100-$150 IEMs with legit sound quality and sexy bass who hear about the Turbines would be happier with the SE215s.

It all comes down to subjective preference, obviously, but I felt like it was worth sharing my experience :) The SE215s would at least be a cheaper mistake :lol:

I actually own both, and the SE215 sounds very similar to the Turbine.

In fact, I actually prefer the Turbines. I can't stand the SE215s without EQing them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back