For a friend: closed, clarity (but not piercing), all-rounder (perhaps slight u-shape), amp not needed, ~$300
Nov 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 27
and dont forget Soundmagic HP100 i suggested earlier

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
So what did he end up getting?  And does he like 'em? 
smile.gif

I think he's still doing research.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 27
Cool.  He does have other cans right?  I just ask because if personally I had to go this long without cans, I'd be a wreck by now.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
I don't think they're a super high priority right now.  He's got some in-ears and the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s, so I don't think he's too rushed.

Oh okay, plenty of time to audition stuff then.  Speaking of which, he should just spend a day going through your inventory.  I'm sure he'd be able to find something he likes from that selection! 
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #23 of 27
Uh, well, actually, those are headphones I've owned previously.  I currently own only two full-size cans, the Philips Citiscape Uptowns, and the Superlux HD668Bs (which I'm trying to sell).  He tried the Philips, and thought they were decent, but not mind blowing.  I think I agree with him.  When I get paid next week, I'm going to be buying some more headphones; I'm thinking about either the SoundMAGIC HP100s or the Sennheiser HD 600s.  This might sound like a no-brainer to some, especially since I can get them for about the same price, but isolation is a concern (I have two roommates in a rather small room), and I don't think the Sennheisers will be going anywhere soon.  I noticed a definite increase in clarity from the Uptowns when I tried the A900X, and since that experience a few weeks ago, I've been craving clarity, which the HP100s are supposed to have, although I'm slightly concerned about their long-term durability, due to all the hinges and the path of the cable through them to get to the right driver.  I've owned the HD 600s before, and I remember them having decent clarity, but constant reviews about their slight veil has brought a few doubts into my mind.  I still plan on purchasing them at some point, whether now or later.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
Uh, well, actually, those are headphones I've owned previously.  I currently own only two full-size cans, the Philips Citiscape Uptowns, and the Superlux HD668Bs (which I'm trying to sell).

Oops, right.  Sorry, I should have read that a bit more carefully. 
redface.gif

Quote:
When I get paid next week, I'm going to be buying some more headphones; I'm thinking about either the SoundMAGIC HP100s or the Sennheiser HD 600s.  This might sound like a no-brainer to some, especially since I can get them for about the same price, but isolation is a concern (I have two roommates in a rather small room), and I don't think the Sennheisers will be going anywhere soon.  I noticed a definite increase in clarity from the Uptowns when I tried the A900X, and since that experience a few weeks ago, I've been craving clarity, which the HP100s are supposed to have, although I'm slightly concerned about their long-term durability, due to all the hinges and the path of the cable through them to get to the right driver.  I've owned the HD 600s before, and I remember them having decent clarity, but constant reviews about their slight veil has brought a few doubts into my mind.  I still plan on purchasing them at some point, whether now or later.

Wait, are we still talking about your friend?  Or you?  Or both? 
biggrin.gif

I'm got an interesting review sample coming in, in about a week's time.  It's a Numark Electrowave. I've heard that model before, although it was quite some time ago, but I remember it being quite clear and fairly balanced.  It's also closed - which would fit that requirement.  If you want, I can PM you my initial impressions as soon as it comes in.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 27
Hey, no worries.
With the HD 600s and HP100s, I'm referring to myself.  I'm trying to help a friend out, but my journey is not yet ended:).  And if you feel inclined to send along the impressions, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 27
LOL, does the journey ever end?  There's a thread around here about leaving portable hi-fi because it's "silly" but I think that dude just needs to take a little break - as we all do from time to time.

I usually don't do initial impressions on units that I'll eventually have to review.  But in this case, it seems like having that info might help, so yeah, I'd be happy to PM them your way. 
smile.gif

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #27 of 27
I never worried about the hinges if the HP100, the wire seems pretty sturdy and it doesn't really get stressed by the folding mechanism. It's well built with a well thought out design and I must say that for a company's first full size headphone they did extremely well, especially the comfort which still so many companies get wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back