For a friend: closed, clarity (but not piercing), all-rounder (perhaps slight u-shape), amp not needed, ~$300
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Marximus

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says it all.  I've got a friend who's looking for headphones which match those criteria.  I'm thinking about the DT 770 Pro, Sony MDR-1R, ATH-A900X, or V-Moda M100.  Any other suggestions?  His exact words (via text) are:
"...I like a 'lively' sound, insofar as as true to original recording as possible, but with some oomph to it....Budget, I'd say in the $300 and below ideally, unless the higher price really made a difference, then I'd be willing to go higher.  I listen to a wide variety of music from classical/operatic to techno/electronic to rock to hip hop...Basically just about everything but most country music.  Clarity is important, but so is a whole sound (no super piercing treble please haha)....I'd have to say more so closed as you can use them more places without bothering people/background noise."

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 27
I like the 770's out of them all. They are pretty good at isolation, as well as true to the track sound, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, they are great comfort wise.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 27
How much isolation is absolutely required here? If they don't gotta block a jet engine or whatever, the ATH-ESW9 would be my pick over the A900X and a lot of other closed cans (I haven't heard the new Sony or V-MODA cans (I don't think many people have...), and dislike Beyer (so I won't comment :xf_eek:)). If you need more isolation though, I'd probably point towards the HD 380Pro or Bose AE2 (not kidding). The AE2 might actually satisfy his desire of no boosted highs (they're kind of a dark headphone, the treble isn't jacked, and they're very easy to just listen to).

Why no A900X love? Because the headband/fit is somewhat particular, and I don't like their specific coloration. That said, if they fit you (or your friend, it sounds like) properly, for the ~$200 they go for, they are not a bad headphone at all. Best Buy (Magnolia, more specifically) should have both the A900X and ESW9 as demonstrator models, so you can test fit and get a rough idea of the sound. If they fit fine, and you can get into their sound, they would probably be a better choice than the HD380 (but the HD380 is probably more mobile given that they fold and come with a hardcase), but the odd fit should be mentioned imho ("how are the children supposed to learn how to read, if they can't fit into the building?" -> "how are the headphones supposed to sound good, if they won't stay on your head?"). I think the ESW9 sound better, fit aside, but they tend to cost more and the wood is likely more fragile than the aluminum/plastic on many other cans.

Other closed-back models I'd encourage you to consider:
- Kenwood KH-K1000 (will do everything mentioned, really really well, but they're $400+)
- Bose QC15 (only if you really really need the isolation, but they're worth mentioning just for that imho)

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 27
I found the ESW9s to be very uncomfortable, and I think with a rubber band or something like, the A900Xs could be more comfortable (I owned both and preferred both the sound sig and comfort of the A900Xs.  At this point I think I'm leaning toward the DT 770 Pros.  I remember enjoying them, although I found the bass to be a little loose.  I'd love to recommend the 1Rs or the M100s to my friend, but I haven't tried either, so I can't honestly recommend them.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 27
I found the ESW9s to be very uncomfortable, and I think with a rubber band or something like, the A900Xs could be more comfortable (I owned both and preferred both the sound sig and comfort of the A900Xs.  At this point I think I'm leaning toward the DT 770 Pros.  I remember enjoying them, although I found the bass to be a little loose.  I'd love to recommend the 1Rs or the M100s to my friend, but I haven't tried either, so I can't honestly recommend them.

Yeah, I can see the A900X and ESW9 being somewhat contentious as to which is better. Especially due to the variability of the leather on the ESW9.

I'd point you at the Kenwoods if the budget isn't problematic (honestly I doubt anyone would find them uncomfortable, and the sound is very good).

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 27
I think for his budget, lower is better.  And I get the impression that he'd want them to be able to carry around to different places.  The Kenwoods appear to be more of a home can.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 27
Heya,

I think he would melt if he heard the A900X. I would go with that. The DT770 might be too sparkly in treble for him.

And as an upgrade path, have him introduced to pad swapping so he can play around with J$ or Denon pads to swap out with the A900X. And the maybe a way to shorten the cable.

Very best,

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 27
I think for his budget, lower is better.  And I get the impression that he'd want them to be able to carry around to different places.  The Kenwoods appear to be more of a home can.

Yes the Kenwood are certainly too big to truck around on a bike or go jogging with, :p.

Have you looked at the HD 380Pro? Will get you where you want to go, and are very portable (even including a travel-case).

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 27
I definitely melted:).  But the comfort left a little bit to be desired (and my budget was a bit thin at the time).  I don't think I'd ever even heard of the HP100s until you brought them up.  Very interesting.  Thanks for the help, guys.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 27
I definitely agree on the M-100 as a candidate.  Also, has the Amperior or even HD 25-II been ruled out for one reason or another?

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 27
So what did he end up getting?  And does he like 'em? 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back