For 6BL7 tube users
Aug 31, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #571 of 608
Hi JKDJedi,
I am not familiar with the requirements for your amp and how it is wired. The 6AS7 draws 2.5A and the 6BL7 draws 1.5A so it is a little more for two tubes. In many amps the current draw is the total of all tubes. If the amp is rated for 4A as an example, you could use one 6SN7 (0.6A) and two 6BL7 (3A) for a total of 3.6A.
It should not be hard to find out from the manufacturer or fellow owners if you could use 2x6BL7 (3A) in the power socket, and what kind of adapter is needed.
If you were sent the wrong item, eBay will back you up and you should get a refund.
However, maybe this is an opportunity for you:
The A2293 is a GEC single triode drawing 0.95A, and people report good results with it. Having two of these is similar to one GEC 6AS7. The main reason for getting it is that the GEC 6AS7 is very expensive, and you can get similar performance with a pair of GEC A2293 which are considerable cheaper. A pair of A2293 could cost you around $30-40 shipped whereas a single GEC 6AS7/A1834 could run you well over $400.
Maybe something to think about?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-GEC-C...562461?hash=item1cd79e561d:g:VC0AAOSw11BdVqgf
There was a discussion on the Glenn OTL thread about using this tube, but for our purposes we would need multiples of 4, 8 or 12 and it looks like too complicated and expensive to implement; however, in your case you only need one pair.
I really appreciate the response, and will check into the specs as suggested. (Although they are really tough to find..even from Massdrop)I would be all over the GEC tube but the base of this adapter sent to me is really short, it won't reach the socket, the base that I wanted was an inch long, they talked me out of that and sent me an 1/8 inch base thats way to short, my well is half inch deep. IMG_20190830_221050.jpg
So as said before, that adapter is just a paper weight. Not what I had in mind at all when purchasing. So enough of the Chinese adapters, I did get a hold of Deyan and he's making a custom adapter as we speak for me, should be ready by Wednesday. And really good to know about the total amp draw of the amp, a very good point brought to my attention, thank you. I'm hitting Big Bear Summit tomorrow guys and gonna let my hair down with some extreme mountainbike downhilling... The adapter will for sure be the last thing on my mind. :wink: And thanks again for the help!

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #572 of 608
If the well being a half an inch deep is the only problem, get yourself a socket saver. A socket saver is typically about in inch high and just might do the trick. Again, as long as that is the only problem....

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #573 of 608
It occurs to me that if you put in a socket saver in the socket you may be able to use the A2293 adapter. Not elegant, but perhaps workable.
Enjoy your biking and drive carefully!

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #574 of 608
If the well being a half an inch deep is the only problem, get yourself a socket saver. A socket saver is typically about in inch high and just might do the trick. Again, as long as that is the only problem....
I like you guys...:) Thank you. I will do just that and get the GECS.. awesome.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #575 of 608
I really appreciate the response, and will check into the specs as suggested. (Although they are really tough to find..even from Massdrop)I would be all over the GEC tube but the base of this adapter sent to me is really short, it won't reach the socket, the base that I wanted was an inch long, they talked me out of that and sent me an 1/8 inch base thats way to short, my well is half inch deep.
So as said before, that adapter is just a paper weight. Not what I had in mind at all when purchasing. So enough of the Chinese adapters, I did get a hold of Deyan and he's making a custom adapter as we speak for me, should be ready by Wednesday. And really good to know about the total amp draw of the amp, a very good point brought to my attention, thank you. I'm hitting Big Bear Summit tomorrow guys and gonna let my hair down with some extreme mountainbike downhilling... The adapter will for sure be the last thing on my mind. :wink: And thanks again for the help!
I am not the dealer, however, we all want to help you out. Hope you appreciate.

If you can use the adapter, you may want to reconsider the neg. rating you gave to Mrs. Xu.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #576 of 608
I am not the dealer, however, we all want to help you out. Hope you appreciate.

If you can use the adapter, you may want to reconsider the neg. rating you gave to Mrs. Xu.
good point, I'll change that right now, Socket saver and GEC tubes bought..you guys are way cool, I really appreciate the gang here and apologize for the theatrics in my part.
Edit: I sent her a message asking for a Revision Request.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #578 of 608
I'm hitting Big Bear Summit tomorrow guys and gonna let my hair down with some extreme mountainbike downhilling...
If you ever come further north and want to hit the Whistler bike park give me a shout.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #581 of 608
Swap the tubes and see if it is still the left channel that doesn't work. If so, it's the adapter. Otherwise, it's a bad tube. Also, make sure the pins are making good contact. I typically scrape the pins with a dull knife.

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #582 of 608
Swap the tubes and see if it is still the left channel that doesn't work. If so, it's the adapter. Otherwise, it's a bad tube. Also, make sure the pins are making good contact. I typically scrape the pins with a dull knife.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. From what I heard from the right channel ...a lot different from what I have on hand .. gonna have some fun tonight tinkering with this setup after work. :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #583 of 608
did the swap (after cleaning) and swapped it again, and still just the right...but man...that right channel sounded GOOD. So no more ChiFi adapters for me guys, if I can find them from Bulgaria, buying from there exclusively from now on. Thanks for the help @gibosi :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #584 of 608
While I do think that the adapters made by Deyan from Bulgaria are better, generally speaking I have had good luck with Chinese-made adapters. I am currently using Chinese-made 6BL7 to 6AS7 adapters and they are perfectly fine.

Good luck! :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #585 of 608
While I do think that the adapters made by Deyan from Bulgaria are better, generally speaking I have had good luck with Chinese-made adapters. I am currently using Chinese-made 6BL7 to 6AS7 adapters and they are perfectly fine.

Good luck! :)

I agree. I've adapters from Mrs Xu Ling that works perfect. Nearly all my adapters from her works perfect. Those that don't she will rectify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back