For 6BL7 tube users
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #466 of 608
  Hi attmci,

Over on the Elise thread people have discovered wonderful alternative tubes that are spectacular sounding: the EL11 and EL12 tubes.

The EL11 draws 0.9A and the EL12 1.2A. They require special adapters that are a pleasure to use compared to the standard octal adapters - an easy and  positive snap-in fit.

The EL11 and EL12 are mainly ST tubes, but there is a smaller and newer version of the EL12 called EL12N. This tube is not expensive and performs almost as well (or as well).

All I can say is that these tubes get everything right and may outshine icons like the expensive 6SN7 variants and the GEC 6AS7.
They were made by Telefunken, Valvo, Philips, Siemens, Loewe-Opta and RFT. The EL12N comes with many names, but they are all the same and only made by RFT.

They are all good; maybe the nod given to Telefunken tubes.

All these tubes can also be combined with other favorite tubes of yours.

IMHO well worth a try if you are so inclined.

They will not work in a WA-22

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #469 of 608
That's what I'm currently listening to and I must say 4 6bl7's sure do sound better than 2 I'm very impressed with their sq also the sylvania flat plates are quite nice, my current combo is 596, 4 ts 6bl7, ecc32 very sweet..enjoy

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #477 of 608
All this talk about twin 6BL7's per power socket made me dig out my adapters and reinstall them.
Since last time I have had new 6F8G adapters that are unique made for me. I got Glenn to make the grid wires flow at the back. So the wires are not visible from the front. They look neater and keep those pesky wires away from power tubes.
This enabled me to install the adapters straight without getting interference from the wires.

I think it looks good and different. The tubes now flow around the transformers. They look good from above.

The sound improvement of two tubes rather than one? Hhmmm, not much. I'm not convinced I need it.
It's there. There is a difference. If I was going to describe the difference I would say it's fuller. It seems to have a bit more body to the sound.
I'm just debating if it's enough of an improvement to bother with. One 6BL7 per power tube is excellent.

I am using one flat plate and one x plate per socket. This was previously my favorite twin 6BL7 combo.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #478 of 608
I've been listening with my ts 5998's for some time now, and recently bought the adapters to use quad 6bl7's Silvania ribbed flat plate's, yes singles are great sounding but this combo seems to be really nice, A 596, quad 6bl7's & a pair of mullard ecc31's the sound is amazing very well worth trying if you haven't..enjoy 

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #480 of 608
very nice indeed love that rectifier & the 32's of course..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back